Mixing zone analyses?

Rich Shepard
Has anyone used GRASS to model the mixing zone of an industrial point
discharge into a receiving stream or river? If so, please point me to any
relevant publications or work flows for doing such an analysis.

The 'Application's pages of the web site do not have suggestions, although
there is a reference to the Sandia Decision Support System, which might well
be incorporated into a mixing zone analysis.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Re: Mixing zone analyses?

Nicolas Pérenne-2
I would recommend Cormix (www.cormix.info or www.mixzon.com) but it is
not GIS and quite expensive...

Nicolas

Le 28/01/2019 à 22:10, Rich Shepard a écrit :

> Has anyone used GRASS to model the mixing zone of an industrial point
> discharge into a receiving stream or river? If so, please point me to any
> relevant publications or work flows for doing such an analysis.
>
> The 'Application's pages of the web site do not have suggestions,
> although
> there is a reference to the Sandia Decision Support System, which
> might well
> be incorporated into a mixing zone analysis.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rich

Re: Mixing zone analyses?

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Nicolas Pérenne wrote:

> I would recommend Cormix (www.cormix.info/www.mixzon.com) but this is not GIS
> and not cheap either...

Nicolas,

   Two issues: 1) it requires Microsoft's OS and I've used only linux for
more than 20 years and 2) it might not be the appropriate model for this
situation.

Rich

Re: Mixing zone analyses? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Has anyone used GRASS to model the mixing zone of an industrial point
> discharge into a receiving stream or river? If so, please point me to any
> relevant publications or work flows for doing such an analysis.

While GRASS does not now have capabilities to analyze aquatic mixing zones
for point source discharges I've found two open source tools that can do the
job. The first is openFOAM and the second is akvaGIS which is packaged with
QGIS' FREEWAT tools. The first is probably more applicable for analyzing
dilutions of point source discharges into receiving streams and rivers.

Also, while R has packages for aerial dispersion modeling of stack emissions
there are none (that I've found) for the equivalent modeling in aquatic
media.

Rich