Minor Irritations

12

Minor Irritations

Alex Mandel-2
These may be more opinion than actual issues, just wanted to see what
others thought.

1. When adding a vector layer, you hit browse the default tends to be
shapefile, but when you add a raster the default is "All GDAL formats".
I think All OGR formats would be a much better default, having to scroll
all the time for gml, kml etc is really annoying especially when I'm
working hard to break people of the assumption that vector = shapefile.

2. As pointed out by a colleague: Many people new to GIS have no idea
the KML = Keyhole Markup Language, so it's not clear on the Save as..
option that is actually KML. The same might be said for GML. Either
changing the names in the list or putting (Hint) would seem useful to users.

3. In 1.6 builds (Could be my build from last week) the Select tool does
not appear to work the same way(Ctrl fails to add or remove from the
selection), and th icon has a new drop down indicator that doesn't seem
to work. 2ndary note, I'm all for making clearer icons for tools but it
seems excessive to change what they look like every version especially
if we're not actually testing new v. old on human test subjects to verify.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Minor Irritations

pcav
Il 31/10/2010 20:20, Alex Mandel ha scritto:

> 1. When adding a vector layer, you hit browse the default tends to be
> shapefile, but when you add a raster the default is "All GDAL formats".
> I think All OGR formats would be a much better default, having to scroll
> all the time for gml, kml etc is really annoying especially when I'm
> working hard to break people of the assumption that vector = shapefile.

Agreed. I think the last choice should be remembered.

> 2. As pointed out by a colleague: Many people new to GIS have no idea
> the KML = Keyhole Markup Language, so it's not clear on the Save as..
> option that is actually KML. The same might be said for GML. Either
> changing the names in the list or putting (Hint) would seem useful to users.

Agreed: I have found users thinking there is no KML support because of that.

All the best.

Re: Minor Irritations

Giovanni Manghi
tickets created.

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 23:40 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 31/10/2010 20:20, Alex Mandel ha scritto:
>
> > 1. When adding a vector layer, you hit browse the default tends to be
> > shapefile, but when you add a raster the default is "All GDAL formats".
> > I think All OGR formats would be a much better default, having to scroll
> > all the time for gml, kml etc is really annoying especially when I'm
> > working hard to break people of the assumption that vector = shapefile.
>
> Agreed. I think the last choice should be remembered.
>
> > 2. As pointed out by a colleague: Many people new to GIS have no idea
> > the KML = Keyhole Markup Language, so it's not clear on the Save as..
> > option that is actually KML. The same might be said for GML. Either
> > changing the names in the list or putting (Hint) would seem useful to users.
>
> Agreed: I have found users thinking there is no KML support because of that.
>
> All the best.

Re: Minor Irritations

Carson Farmer
The new icons for the select tool *are* relevant in that the select tools are now different, and as a result, the icons reflect this. (At least in my version) the drop down does work, you just need to click and hold for a second or two for the additional options to pop up. You will see that the original select tool icon is used to represent the original select tool functionality, and there are several new select tools each with a specific icon so that you know what you're doing when you're doing it.

Carson

On 31 October 2010 19:20, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow
National Centre for Geocomputation
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
http://www.carsonfarmer.com/

Re: Minor Irritations

Micha Silver
On 01/11/2010 13:00, Carson Farmer wrote:
The new icons for the select tool *are* relevant in that the select tools are now different, and as a result, the icons reflect this. (At least in my version) the drop down does work, you just need to click and hold for a second or two for the additional options to pop up. You will see that the original select tool icon is used to represent the original select tool functionality, and there are several new select tools each with a specific icon so that you know what you're doing when you're doing it.

I noticed that the new tools select only when I have totally encompassed a feature. Previously, I think, when I used the rectangular selection, drawing over any part of a feature caused it to be selected. Now I have to draw over the whole feature to get it selected. The situation where this might not be intuitive is selecting a line segment from a multipart layer. You have to somehow know in advance where the segment begins and ends, otherwise it's never selected.

Best regards,
Micha

[...]

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

Micha Silver
http://www.surfaces.co.il/
Arava Development Co.  +972-52-3665918

Re: Minor Irritations

Marco Hugentobler-4

Hi Micha

You had to press the alt-key to include all intersected features (otherwise
only the included were selected). I reversed that in r14476 this morning, now
it selects the intersecting features if no key is pressed.

But for the rest, I really like the new selection tools.

Regards,
Marco

>  I noticed that the new tools select only when I have totally encompassed a
> feature. Previously, I think, when I used the rectangular selection,
> drawing over any part of a feature caused it to be selected. Now I have to
> draw over the whole feature to get it selected. The situation where this
> might not be intuitive is selecting a line segment from a multipart layer.
> You have to somehow know in advance where the segment begins and ends,
> otherwise it's never selected.
>
>  Best regards,
>  Micha
>

> Carson
>

> On 31 October 2010 19:20, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  These may be more opinion than actual issues, just wanted to see what
>  others thought.
>
>  1. When adding a vector layer, you hit browse the default tends to be
>  shapefile, but when you add a raster the default is "All GDAL formats".
>  I think All OGR formats would be a much better default, having to scroll
>  all the time for gml, kml etc is really annoying especially when I'm
>  working hard to break people of the assumption that vector = shapefile.
>
>  2. As pointed out by a colleague: Many people new to GIS have no idea
>  the KML = Keyhole Markup Language, so it's not clear on the Save as..
>  option that is actually KML. The same might be said for GML. Either
>  changing the names in the list or putting (Hint) would seem useful to
> users.
>
>  3. In 1.6 builds (Could be my build from last week) the Select tool does
>  not appear to work the same way(Ctrl fails to add or remove from the
>  selection), and th icon has a new drop down indicator that doesn't seem
>  to work. 2ndary note, I'm all for making clearer icons for tools but it
>  seems excessive to change what they look like every version especially
>  if we're not actually testing new v. old on human test subjects to verify.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Alex
>

>  This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
Webereistrasse 66, 8134 Adliswil, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Minor Irritations

Micha Silver
Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi Micha
>
> You had to press the alt-key to include all intersected features (otherwise
> only the included were selected). I reversed that in r14476 this morning, now
> it selects the intersecting features if no key is pressed.

Great. So that will be in the final release?
> But for the rest, I really like the new selection tools.

Yes, me too. Especially the "free form" selection. AFAIK there's nothing
like that in any of the commercial GIS programs...

> Regards,
> Marco

Re: Minor Irritations

Borys Jurgiel-2
Dnia poniedziałek 01 listopada 2010 o 13:04:11 Marco Hugentobler napisał(a):
> Hi Micha
>
> You had to press the alt-key to include all intersected features (otherwise
> only the included were selected). I reversed that in r14476 this morning,
> now it selects the intersecting features if no key is pressed.

But there's still the big problem with Alt + Mouse. This way we're going to
release functionality working best in selected proprietary operating systems,
what's definitely not our way :D

What about using Control for swapping the selection and Shift instead of Alt?

B.

RE: Minor Irritations

Jeremy Palmer-2
Hi Borys,

See the comment under ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2938.

But in short the current keys are in use by the new selection tools:

alt key: When used switches from selection by intersects to selection by contains
control key: used for add features to the current selected set
shift key:  used for to subtract features from the current selected set

As you can see we have used up all of the practically available modifier keys.

Within the ticket I have added a new patch that allows the user to set the default selection method. For KDE or Gnome this at least allows users to set the main way they want to select features. Not perfect but at least functional. Maybe someone else has another idea?

Regards,
Jeremy

Dnia poniedziałek 01 listopada 2010 o 13:04:11 Marco Hugentobler napisał(a):
> Hi Micha
>
> You had to press the alt-key to include all intersected features (otherwise
> only the included were selected). I reversed that in r14476 this morning,
> now it selects the intersecting features if no key is pressed.

But there's still the big problem with Alt + Mouse. This way we're going to
release functionality working best in selected proprietary operating systems,
what's definitely not our way :D

What about using Control for swapping the selection and Shift instead of Alt?

B.

This message contains information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message.
LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ.

Thank you.

Re: Minor Irritations

Borys Jurgiel-2
Dnia poniedziałek 01 listopada 2010 o 22:19:54 Jeremy Palmer napisał(a):
> Within the ticket I have added a new patch that allows the user to set the
> default selection method. For KDE or Gnome this at least allows users to
> set the main way they want to select features. Not perfect but at least
> functional. Maybe someone else has another idea?

Milena always has another idea ;) and proposes choosing between two modes:
Mode 1 (Win):
- alt for switching intersects/contains
- ctrl for adding features
- shift for substracting features

Mode 2 (Gnome/KDE):
- shift for switching intersects/contains
- ctrl for swapping the selection

Re: Minor Irritations

Alex Mandel-2
On 11/01/2010 03:02 PM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:

> Dnia poniedziałek 01 listopada 2010 o 22:19:54 Jeremy Palmer napisał(a):
>> Within the ticket I have added a new patch that allows the user to set the
>> default selection method. For KDE or Gnome this at least allows users to
>> set the main way they want to select features. Not perfect but at least
>> functional. Maybe someone else has another idea?
>
> Milena always has another idea ;) and proposes choosing between two modes:
> Mode 1 (Win):
> - alt for switching intersects/contains
> - ctrl for adding features
> - shift for substracting features
>
> Mode 2 (Gnome/KDE):
> - shift for switching intersects/contains
> - ctrl for swapping the selection

I dislike having a different default, but do like the user being able to
configure their preference. Differing defaults makes writing tutorials,
teaching others and switching machines quite confusing.

In quick consultation with some other users. Either Ctrl or Shift as the
main Add/Subtract toggle is good (In my mind Ctrl if more obvious a
choice based on other programs, though some like shift because it's
bigger[usually])

Would Alt switch from the default of Intersect to Contains only for the
duration of the holding of Alt or does it stick until pressed again?
Either way seems ok, just wanted to clarify.

Also, if it's possible to show the keyboard shortcut in the Tooltip that
might also help users figure it out.

Thanks,
Alex

RE: Minor Irritations

Jeremy Palmer-2
Cool idea. Two questions:

- Is there a consistency problem for users switching between platforms? Maybe it's best to determine the 2 most used selection modifier functions, and then make the keys the same on both platforms..
- What does swapping the selection exactly mean?

Dnia wtorek 02 listopada 2010 o 08:41:53 Jeremy Palmer napisał(a):
> Cool idea. Two questions:
>
> - Is there a consistency problem for users switching between platforms?
> Maybe it's best to determine the 2 most used selection modifier functions,
> and then make the keys the same on both platforms.. - What does swapping
> the selection exactly mean?

I mean the prevoius behaviour: adding if not selected and substracting if
already selected.

RE: Minor Irritations

Jeremy Palmer-2
At the moment you need to hold the alt key. To do it the other way would take more work and might be trouble just waiting to happen.

Ok how about this as a proposal for the select tools:

Shift: switch to contains select (default is intersects, this will not be user configurable)
Ctrl: Symmetric difference of the current and new selected features. i.e. if already selected then remove, if not already selected then add.

Also add the tool tips - very good suggestion thank you.

Under this proposal we don't need to use the alt key and all platforms are the same. The only downside is that some users might get a surprise with the usage of the symmetric difference functionality - I guess it just depends on what other software they have been using.

Can we please get a vote on this!?

Cheers,
Jeremy

On 11/01/2010 03:02 PM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:

> Dnia poniedziałek 01 listopada 2010 o 22:19:54 Jeremy Palmer napisał(a):
>> Within the ticket I have added a new patch that allows the user to set the
>> default selection method. For KDE or Gnome this at least allows users to
>> set the main way they want to select features. Not perfect but at least
>> functional. Maybe someone else has another idea?
>
> Milena always has another idea ;) and proposes choosing between two modes:
> Mode 1 (Win):
> - alt for switching intersects/contains
> - ctrl for adding features
> - shift for substracting features
>
> Mode 2 (Gnome/KDE):
> - shift for switching intersects/contains
> - ctrl for swapping the selection

I dislike having a different default, but do like the user being able to
configure their preference. Differing defaults makes writing tutorials,
teaching others and switching machines quite confusing.

In quick consultation with some other users. Either Ctrl or Shift as the
main Add/Subtract toggle is good (In my mind Ctrl if more obvious a
choice based on other programs, though some like shift because it's
bigger[usually])

Would Alt switch from the default of Intersect to Contains only for the
duration of the holding of Alt or does it stick until pressed again?
Either way seems ok, just wanted to clarify.

Also, if it's possible to show the keyboard shortcut in the Tooltip that
might also help users figure it out.

Thanks,
Alex

This message contains information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message.
LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ.

Thank you.

Re: Minor Irritations

Borys Jurgiel-3
> Ok how about this as a proposal for the select tools:
>
> Shift: switch to contains select (default is intersects, this will not be
> user configurable)
> Ctrl: Symmetric difference of the current and new
> selected features. i.e. if already selected then remove, if not already
> selected then add.

+1 from me of course ;)

> Also add the tool tips - very good suggestion thank you.

+1

> Under this proposal we don't need to use the alt key and all platforms are
> the same. The only downside is that some users might get a surprise with
> the usage of the symmetric difference functionality - I guess it just
> depends on what other software they have been using.

This is exactly how it worked before, so old qgis users won't be surprised.
And using Shift for the contains select we just change as less as possible.

> Can we please get a vote on this!?

Let's go vote! Time is short.

RE: Minor Irritations

Andreas Neumann-4
+1

sounds good for me. Being also a Linux user I welcome the decision not to
use the Alt-key. Also, it is good if all platforms behave more or less the
same.

Andreas

On Tue, November 2, 2010 12:26 pm, Jeremy Palmer wrote:

> At the moment you need to hold the alt key. To do it the other way would
> take more work and might be trouble just waiting to happen.
>
> Ok how about this as a proposal for the select tools:
>
> Shift: switch to contains select (default is intersects, this will not be
> user configurable)
> Ctrl: Symmetric difference of the current and new selected features. i.e.
> if already selected then remove, if not already selected then add.
>
> Also add the tool tips - very good suggestion thank you.
>
> Under this proposal we don't need to use the alt key and all platforms are
> the same. The only downside is that some users might get a surprise with
> the usage of the symmetric difference functionality - I guess it just
> depends on what other software they have been using.
>
> Can we please get a vote on this!?
>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/

Re: Minor Irritations

Marco Hugentobler-4
Am Dienstag, 2. November 2010, um 12.26:23 schrieb Jeremy Palmer:

> At the moment you need to hold the alt key. To do it the other way would
> take more work and might be trouble just waiting to happen.
>
> Ok how about this as a proposal for the select tools:
>
> Shift: switch to contains select (default is intersects, this will not be
> user configurable) Ctrl: Symmetric difference of the current and new
> selected features. i.e. if already selected then remove, if not already
> selected then add.
>
> Also add the tool tips - very good suggestion thank you.
>
> Under this proposal we don't need to use the alt key and all platforms are
> the same. The only downside is that some users might get a surprise with
> the usage of the symmetric difference functionality - I guess it just
> depends on what other software they have been using.
>
> Can we please get a vote on this!?

+1 from me too.

Marco

> Cheers,
> Jeremy

Ok I have attached a patch to implement here:

https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/attachment/ticket/2938/select_tools_update.diff

Sorry for the delay, I have not been near an internet connection for the past 24 hours - shock horror!

I hope it's not too late to get this committed. If the new tool tip strings are a problem, a dev should at least try to commit the changed functionality so we don't have to change things for 1.7.

Cheers,
Jeremy

> Ok how about this as a proposal for the select tools:
>
> Shift: switch to contains select (default is intersects, this will not be
> user configurable)
> Ctrl: Symmetric difference of the current and new
> selected features. i.e. if already selected then remove, if not already
> selected then add.

+1 from me of course ;)

> Also add the tool tips - very good suggestion thank you.

+1

> Under this proposal we don't need to use the alt key and all platforms are
> the same. The only downside is that some users might get a surprise with
> the usage of the symmetric difference functionality - I guess it just
> depends on what other software they have been using.

This is exactly how it worked before, so old qgis users won't be surprised.
And using Shift for the contains select we just change as less as possible.

> Can we please get a vote on this!?

Let's go vote! Time is short.

This message contains information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or [hidden email]) and destroy the original message.
LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ.

Thank you.

Re: Minor Irritations

Marco Hugentobler-4
Thanks Jeremy, the patch looks fine.

As it includes translatable strings, it might be better to hold off until code
freeze / string freeze is over.
Tim: what do you think?

Marco

Dnia środa 03 listopada 2010 o 11:25:40 Marco Hugentobler napisał(a):
> Thanks Jeremy, the patch looks fine.
>
> As it includes translatable strings, it might be better to hold off until
> code freeze / string freeze is over.
> Tim: what do you think?

I'd prefer to apply the patch except qgisapp.cpp file - this way we avoid
introducing the temporary behaviour to qgis 1.6 and strings will wait for
unfreeze.
12