MetaTile, MetaBuffer FOSS4G2010 Benchmarking

MetaTile, MetaBuffer FOSS4G2010 Benchmarking

Fernando Ribeiro
Hello list,

I am currently analyzing some proxy cache solutions, namely TileCache, and recently came across with a nice benchmark document by Terrestris, presented @ FOSS4G2010.
On that document it is said that TileCache can only generate MetaTiles/MetaBuffers in JPEG/GIF formats...or maybe I miss understood this point. I cannot find anything stating this bottleneck!

Can someone provide some explanation on this issue?

Thank you,
--
Fernando Ribeiro

Re: MetaTile, MetaBuffer FOSS4G2010 Benchmarking

Oliver Tonnhofer-5
Hi Fernando,

On 07.06.2011, at 16:19, Fernando Ribeiro wrote:
> I am currently analyzing some proxy cache solutions, namely TileCache, and recently came across with a nice benchmark document by Terrestris, presented @ FOSS4G2010.
> On that document it is said that TileCache can only generate MetaTiles/MetaBuffers in JPEG/GIF formats...or maybe I miss understood this point. I cannot find anything stating this bottleneck!
>
> Can someone provide some explanation on this issue?

That got clarified during the presentation. TileCache supports meta tiles for PNG if you do not use interlaced PNGs. For Mapserver see http://mapserver.org/faq.html#why-doesn-t-pil-python-imaging-library-open-my-pngs

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de
http://mapproxy.org | https://bitbucket.org/olt | @oltonn

Re: MetaTile, MetaBuffer FOSS4G2010 Benchmarking

Fernando Ribeiro
Thanks for the concise explanation Oliver!

Regards