Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Martin Dobias
Hi all

I am happy to announce that I have just merged Arun's work on
symbology. He has done a great job and after some testing I think the
code is ready for prime time.

What to expect?
- style manager has been greatly improved:
  - grouping of symbols (including child groups of groups)
  - tagging
  - "smart" groups (showing only symbols matching some criteria).
  - search
- symbol selector and properties dialogs have been integrated to just
one dialog, improving the usability a lot
- style database is now stored in a SQLite database rather than an XML
file for better scalability
- style import improvements: load style directly from given URL,
saving imported symbols into a group
- SVG fill: shows directories for easier traversal through the SVG directories
- surely some more goodies I've forgotten to mention!

Please note that with the transition of styles to SQLite database you
will find your style empty - but don't worry! You can import all your
saved symbols and color ramps from ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml -
from now they will be stored in ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.db.

Arun: thanks for your hard work and I hope you will continue to
contribute to QGIS! :-)
Also many thanks to Nathan for co-mentoring and lots of great ideas
for the GUI improvements that landed in the code.

Regards
Martin

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

aruntheguy@gmail.com
Hi all,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Martin Dobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I am happy to announce that I have just merged Arun's work on
symbology. He has done a great job and after some testing I think the
code is ready for prime time.

Feels great. Thanks to you, Martin and Nathan.

Please note that with the transition of styles to SQLite database you
will find your style empty - but don't worry! You can import all your
saved symbols and color ramps from ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml -
from now they will be stored in ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.db.

If you have a lot of symbols with sub-symbols, you will find them broken into two separate symbols, I would recommend using the scripts/symbol_xml2db.py  to convert the XML to the DB and use that Sqlite DB.

Arun: thanks for your hard work and I hope you will continue to
contribute to QGIS! :-)

I am humbled. I sure will continue contributing.

--
Regards
Arunmozhi

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

pcav
Any reason not to grant pull rights to arun?
All the best.
--
http://faunalia.eu/pc
Sent from mobile, sorry for being short

"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Nathan Woodrow
Well done Arun.  Job well done. Very happy to see your work merged and
I'm sure a lot of other people are too.

- Nathan

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Martin Dobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am happy to announce that I have just merged Arun's work on
>> symbology. He has done a great job and after some testing I think the
>> code is ready for prime time.
>

> Feels great. Thanks to you, Martin and Nathan.
>
>> Please note that with the transition of styles to SQLite database you
>> will find your style empty - but don't worry! You can import all your
>> saved symbols and color ramps from ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml -
>> from now they will be stored in ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.db.
>>

> If you have a lot of symbols with sub-symbols, you will find them broken
> into two separate symbols, I would recommend using the
> scripts/symbol_xml2db.py  to convert the XML to the DB and use that Sqlite
> DB.
>

>> Arun: thanks for your hard work and I hope you will continue to
>> contribute to QGIS! :-)
>

> I am humbled. I sure will continue contributing.
>

> --
> Regards
> Arunmozhi
> Twitter: @tecoholic
> Website: http://arunmozhi.in
> IRC Nick: teco

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Anne Ghisla-2
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:48:49 +1000
Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well done Arun.  Job well done. Very happy to see your work merged and
> I'm sure a lot of other people are too.

Let me join you for congratulations!

Arun, it's great to see that your work has been already merged and that
you are willing to continue development after GSoC. That is the
ultimate goal for the program, and I look forward for other students to
follow your path.

All the best,
Anne

> - Nathan
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Martin Dobias
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I am happy to announce that I have just merged Arun's work on
> >> symbology. He has done a great job and after some testing I think
> >> the code is ready for prime time.
> >

> > Feels great. Thanks to you, Martin and Nathan.
> >
> >> Please note that with the transition of styles to SQLite database
> >> you will find your style empty - but don't worry! You can import
> >> all your saved symbols and color ramps from
> >> ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml - from now they will be stored in
> >> ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.db.
> >>

> > If you have a lot of symbols with sub-symbols, you will find them
> > broken into two separate symbols, I would recommend using the
> > scripts/symbol_xml2db.py  to convert the XML to the DB and use that
> > Sqlite DB.
> >

> >> Arun: thanks for your hard work and I hope you will continue to
> >> contribute to QGIS! :-)
> >

> > I am humbled. I sure will continue contributing.
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > Arunmozhi
> > Twitter: @tecoholic
> > Website: http://arunmozhi.in
> > IRC Nick: teco

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Andreas Neumann-4
 Thank you Arun - It is much better that we can now use fewer dialogues.
 I am working with it now and will reports bug if I come across them.

 Good work!

 Andreas

 On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:15:15 +0200, Anne Ghisla wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:48:49 +1000
> Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well done Arun.  Job well done. Very happy to see your work merged
>> and
>> I'm sure a lot of other people are too.
>
> Let me join you for congratulations!
>
> Arun, it's great to see that your work has been already merged and
> that
> you are willing to continue development after GSoC. That is the
> ultimate goal for the program, and I look forward for other students
> follow your path.
>
> All the best,
> Anne
>
>> - Nathan
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,

>> > Feels great. Thanks to you, Martin and Nathan.

>> > If you have a lot of symbols with sub-symbols, you will find them
>> > broken into two separate symbols, I would recommend using the
>> > scripts/symbol_xml2db.py  to convert the XML to the DB and use
>> that
>> > Sqlite DB.

>> > I am humbled. I sure will continue contributing.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Arunmozhi
>> > Twitter: @tecoholic
>> > Website: http://arunmozhi.in
>> > IRC Nick: teco

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
 Switzerland

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

Congratulations Arun this is a HUGE improvement for QGIS, thanks so
much for all your hard work! I'm so glad not to have to deal with
millions of dialogs anymore! Thanks to Martin and Nathan for the great
guidance you have given!

Regards

Tim

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Arun - It is much better that we can now use fewer dialogues. I am
> working with it now and will reports bug if I come across them.
>
> Good work!
>
> Andreas
>

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:15:15 +0200, Anne Ghisla wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:48:49 +1000
>> Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Well done Arun.  Job well done. Very happy to see your work merged and
>>> I'm sure a lot of other people are too.
>>

>> Let me join you for congratulations!
>>
>> Arun, it's great to see that your work has been already merged and that
>> you are willing to continue development after GSoC. That is the
>> ultimate goal for the program, and I look forward for other students to
>> follow your path.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Anne
>>
>>> - Nathan

> Andreas Neumann
> Böschacherstrasse 10A
> 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
> Switzerland

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Congratulations Arun this is a HUGE improvement for QGIS, thanks so
> much for all your hard work! I'm so glad not to have to deal with
> millions of dialogs anymore! Thanks to Martin and Nathan for the great
> guidance you have given!

By the way I noticed a small regression in that you cant set symbol
levels for anything but the top level symbol layers.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

aruntheguy@gmail.com
Hello all,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

By the way I noticed a small regression in that you cant set symbol
levels for anything but the top level symbol layers.

Tim, yes, I too noticed it. I think I would work on the Symbol Levels dialog to accommodate that soon.

Martin, I have a few things in mind which we could fix by chipping away bit by bit,

1. SIP Bindings: During developement, I ran into SIP binding breakages a number of times when compiling, but just deleted problematic functions to solve the compile issue. I think they need to be reworked. I have no prior experience in SIP, and have started reading about it. Any guidelines in this matter is welcome. This should be done first I think.

2. Automated tests: This you have mentioned to me already, and I think, we should get into that. This again a new area for me, but shouldn't take much time.

3. Old issues: Anything under the sun with respect to Symbology on the bug tracker.

Any suggestions on how we could go on with the above is welcome.

--
Regards
Arunmozhi

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Giovanni Manghi-2
Hi Arun,

> 3. Old issues: Anything under the sun with respect to Symbology on the bug
> tracker.

This would be great.

Fixing first the issues listed here

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Switching_from_Old_to_New_Symbology_and_Labeling

would allow to drop the old symbology sooner than later.

cheers

-- Giovanni --

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Etienne Tourigny-3
Hi Martin, Arun and others

I think this is great!  My work on cpt-city color ramps is still
evolving, and I was wondering in which ways it could benefit from your
work.

As far as I see it, here is how ramps would work:

1) an interface to browse a number of available gradients and import
them into user's gradients.

The entire cpt-city archive holds about 6000 gradients. I have
prepared a reduced set (about 800) that we could provide optionally
for qgis users, based on licenses and a broad selection (the one from
cpt-city). The goal is to have a minimal set (about 100) that would be
distributed with qgis.

The current interface to browse these gradients needs an overhaul, and
I was thinking of adopting a layout similar to the one you adopted for
the style manager: a tree to the left with various ways to organize
the gradients, a search feature, and a box to the right with the
matching ramps. Because there are a number of ramps available, it
might not fit well inside the style manager because it would add
clutter. On the other hand, it could be useful to have it integrated
directly, with a specific category in the tree and perhaps a specific
tab page for the matching ramps. My preference is to use a dedicated
dialog for this, very similar to the style manager, but I would
appreciate feedback and of course a thumbs up/down to reuse your work.

2) once ramps are chosen they reside in the color ramps tab like other ramps.

3) import/export:  cpt-city ramps are stored in standard svg
"linearGradient" format. It would be nice to be able to import/export
these from the style manager, and perhaps change the internal xml
representation of color ramps to that format - or at least export in
svg linearGradient.

cheers,
Etienne

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Martin Dobias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am happy to announce that I have just merged Arun's work on
> symbology. He has done a great job and after some testing I think the
> code is ready for prime time.
>
> What to expect?
> - style manager has been greatly improved:
>   - grouping of symbols (including child groups of groups)
>   - tagging
>   - "smart" groups (showing only symbols matching some criteria).
>   - search
> - symbol selector and properties dialogs have been integrated to just
> one dialog, improving the usability a lot
> - style database is now stored in a SQLite database rather than an XML
> file for better scalability
> - style import improvements: load style directly from given URL,
> saving imported symbols into a group
> - SVG fill: shows directories for easier traversal through the SVG directories
> - surely some more goodies I've forgotten to mention!
>
> Please note that with the transition of styles to SQLite database you
> will find your style empty - but don't worry! You can import all your
> saved symbols and color ramps from ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.xml -
> from now they will be stored in ~/.qgis/symbology-ng-style.db.
>
> Arun: thanks for your hard work and I hope you will continue to
> contribute to QGIS! :-)
> Also many thanks to Nathan for co-mentoring and lots of great ideas
> for the GUI improvements that landed in the code.
>
> Regards
> Martin

Re: Merge of Arun's summer of code work

kimaidou
Hi all,

I just modified the wiki page and replaced the absolute links ( http://hub.qgis.org/issues/issue_number ) by redmine syntax for links to issues ( #issue_number ).

This way we will be able to see wich issues are closed.

Michael