Quantcast

Mercator projection that shrinks toward pole

Mercator projection that shrinks toward pole

feverzsj
hi, list
I've noticed that lots of map viewer (especially those nautical chart viewer) will shrink a mercator projected chart while panning towards poles.
Is this some compensation for mercator distortion?
Is this a dedicated projection?
How to implement that under qgis?

Re: Mercator projection that shrinks toward pole

b.j.kobben
Well, if it's shrinking towards the poles, it basically is not a Mercator
projection (at least not the traditional normal Mercator where the
cylinder is wrapped around the Equator)...

Which "nautical chart viewer" did you see this in...?

--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer, ITC - University of Twente,

On 04-02-13 06:26, "feverzsj" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>hi, list
>I've noticed that lots of map viewer (especially those nautical chart
>viewer) will shrink a mercator projected chart while panning towards
>poles.
>Is this some compensation for mercator distortion?
>Is this a dedicated projection?
>How to implement that under qgis?

Re: Mercator projection that shrinks toward pole

feverzsj
hi, b.j.kobben
>> Well, if it's shrinking towards the poles, it basically is not a Mercator projection (at least not the traditional normal Mercator where the cylinder is wrapped around the Equator)...

It shrinks in a way that the whole canvas is scaled down. Considering the Mercator is always recommended for nautical application, it should be Mercator projection with some post process.

For example, Transas's ECDIS demo, DEMO_ECDIS_2519.iso : http://www.transas.com/support/ecdis_demo/

Re: Mercator projection that shrinks toward pole

b.j.kobben
I am sorry, but that makes no sense. If you scale down the top or bottom
part of a Mercator projected map, it looses the one thing it's useful for
in nautical apps, namely that a compass course is depicted as a straight
line in any direction...

Barend