Members donations...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
Some of the grants and donations side of things requires having our
charitable status application in.  But as part of this application
they also like to see members donating - showing general public
support for the foundation.

Rather than get stuck in a chicken-or-egg recursive loop, I was
thinking we could open up the ability to receive donations by putting
a donate now PayPal button on the web site.

Do you think it will be used?  I can handle getting it done, but
wanted to pass the idea by you too.

Tyler

Re: Members donations...

Frank Warmerdam
Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Some of the grants and donations side of things requires having our
> charitable status application in.  But as part of this application they
> also like to see members donating - showing general public support for
> the foundation.
>
> Rather than get stuck in a chicken-or-egg recursive loop, I was thinking
> we could open up the ability to receive donations by putting a donate
> now PayPal button on the web site.
>
> Do you think it will be used?  I can handle getting it done, but wanted
> to pass the idea by you too.

Tyler,

I don't this being done, and I understand that the paypal account
for the foundation is already setup.

But I don't understand how member donations are necessary for the 501c3
application.  We need to demonstrate public support within 3 years which
is implied by various technical criteria showing that our financial
support comes from a variety of sources.  But I wasn't aware this was
important in the application process.  Are you sure about this?

I wouldn't want our 501c3 application getting hung up on this point.  I'd
add that individual donations (from Americans) will be noticably more
palatable once we have our 501c3 status.

Re: Members donations...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On 4-Jul-07, at 3:47 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I don't this being done, and I understand that the paypal account
> for the foundation is already setup.

Yes, and please note that the address for our paypal account has
changed to:
- [hidden email]

> But I don't understand how member donations are necessary for the
> 501c3
> application.  We need to demonstrate public support within 3 years
> which
> is implied by various technical criteria showing that our financial
> support comes from a variety of sources.  But I wasn't aware this was
> important in the application process.  Are you sure about this?

It does not appear to be critical, but is just additional
confidence.  There is room for it on the application form, that is all.

I'll have to dig up the archives of discussion or wiki pages re:
associate or supporting membership and how we thought we could do
this before.  I can see two different levels: one that is simply a
small donation in exchange for status, the other will be a larger
donation but gets a t-shirt or hat.  Does that fit the kind of
discussions/brainstorming others have had in mind?

Tyler