Meeting in Chattanooga TN - June 16th 2016

Meeting in Chattanooga TN - June 16th 2016

Randal Hale
There will be a QGIS users group meeting in Chattanooga TN June 20th from 3:30 to 7:00 EST at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. UTC has kindly donated their GIS Lab.

Address:
701 East ML King BLVD
Chattanooga TN

I've had several people ask for an informal "Learn about QGIS session". So we're covering a few subjects in detail about QGIS - which should lead to more questions and more talk. There will also be an informal discussion about continuing this going forward in some shape or form. For this meetup some knowledge of GIS would be good as we don't have a lot of time to go "This is a vector". There are no snacks/food provided -  BUT - we plan on ending this at one of the fine breweries around the area.

Agenda:
  • QGIS Community
  • How to install QGIS
  • Data Formats
  • Data Display
  • Making a Map

So email me for more information. If you are close please make plans to attend. It should be fun.

Randy

Re: [Qgis-us-user] Meeting in Chattanooga TN - June 16th 2016

Randal Hale
I've had an ever growing number of ArcGIS users asking about QGIS in the SE TN/NE Georgia Area - So I figured I'd give this a shot. Most seem to have it installed but are a bit lost (BUT - we do have some using it for day to day GIS work). So I think this might be a good way to spread the word and at least get them functional and not scared of asking questions on the User list.

Thanks for reminding me of the books and Community Health - so I'll throw that in also to show what is happening. Actually - that reminds me of the Carto book that also came out.

I'll try to fire off an update post meeting with attendance and plans for moving this forward.

Randy

On 06/08/2016 11:20 AM, Tom M wrote:
Randy

I wish I could be there.  I just wanted to give you an update.  I just finished a workshop on QGIS at the GeoEd <a moz-do-not-send="true" dir="ltr" href="x-apple-data-detectors://0">2016 Conference in Louisville, KY.  I once again used the awesome curriculum from Phil's crew http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/ specifically GST 101 Unit 2 and 4. Then we discussed other tools in QGIS - Select by Attributes, Select by Location, etc.  There were 14 attendees.  There was a mix of educators and governmental personnel and a mix of beginners and advanced users.

I also discussed Kurt's new book: https://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov/

Finally I put a plug in for Geo4All labs.  I have not joined (one of my jobs this summer).

Thanks

Tom Mueller

--
Randal Hale