Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Suchith Anand

I would like to also support the idea that it is convenient to have someone (ideally many) to do the "mass production" of the OSGeo Live USBs esp for  training and education programs globally . Are there any SMEs doing this? If not, this is a great opportunity for the SMEs in the OSGeo ecosystem to move in and expand.

Best wishes,

Suchith

]1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-April/012032.html

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

blammo
All,

Just to add to the mix, and stir the pot somewhat, an idea to consider on this . . . what about . . .

having some sort of support stack/infrastructure in place for providing the OSGeo-Live as a bunch of different devices and (portable) services.  For example,

  • Generating the Thumb Drives
    • These should be generated as needed, based on our usage locally for different events.  When we don’t end up using some of them at a particular event, we end up re-writing them with the newer version of OSGeo-Live for the next event.  Not really an economically sound model.
  • Setting up something like a Raspberry Pi with OSGeo-Live. Possibly for resale, certainly as a download for other to install.
  • Setting up a Cloud (OSGE Certified?!) version of OSGe-Live
  • As has been mentioned before, an application picker for installation of software would go a long ways.
    • There’s a bit of effort required for this one I’ll grant you, but it would certainly go along was toward promoting OSGeo.
  • Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo.
  • Setting up a Docker . . .

Well you get the idea,  if your going to pay for something, may as well go for broke.  You end up with a one stop shop and possibly a container of sorts for other projects to add in their own dedicated versions of the same sort of devices/services.

bobb

On Apr 18, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to also support the idea that it is convenient to have someone (ideally many) to do the "mass production" of the OSGeo Live USBs esp for  training and education programs globally . Are there any SMEs doing this? If not, this is a great opportunity for the SMEs in the OSGeo ecosystem to move in and expand.

Best wishes,

Suchith

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
- Steven Wright

Re: Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 2017-04-18 15:55, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

> Just to add to the mix, and stir the pot somewhat, an idea to consider
> on this . . . what about . . .
>
> having some sort of support stack/infrastructure in place for
> providing the OSGeo-Live as a bunch of different devices and
> (portable) services.  For example,
>

>   *   Generating the Thumb Drives
>      *   These should be generated as needed, based on our usage
> locally for different events.  When we don’t end up using some of them
> at a particular event, we end up re-writing them with the newer
> version of OSGeo-Live for the next event.  Not really an economically
> sound model.
>   *   Setting up something like a Raspberry Pi with OSGeo-Live.
> Possibly for resale, certainly as a download for other to install.
>   *   Setting up a Cloud (OSGE Certified?!) version of OSGe-Live
>   *   As has been mentioned before, an application picker for
> installation of software would go a long ways.
>      *   There’s a bit of effort required for this one I’ll grant you,
> but it would certainly go along was toward promoting OSGeo.
>   *   Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo.
>   *   Setting up a Docker . . .
>
> Well you get the idea,  if your going to pay for something, may as
> well go for broke.  You end up with a one stop shop and possibly a
> container of sorts for other projects to add in their own dedicated
> versions of the same sort of devices/services.

Are you volunteering to implement any of the above?

These are good suggestions, but without people to do the work it will
never materialize.

OSGeo-Live is understaffed as it is, see also:

  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-April/012031.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

blammo
Bas,

We’ve been making Thumb drives for a few years now and DVDs before that.  We’ve been making the Thumb Drives by hand on our own, which is a bit of time and effort to complete.  We’ve been handling this for our own promotional purposes of OSGeo, etc and have only been building less than 75 at a time.

We’ve also installed some of the OSGeo-Live apps on a Raspberry Pi to good effect, but we haven’t tried a whole Live install on a PI yet, but all indications are that it would (mostly) work.  The Short answer is, we’ve figure out the mechanics of this, but the writing of the actual hardware would require some funding to complete as a repeatable process.

bobb

On Apr 18, 2017, at 9:19 AM, Bas Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2017-04-18 15:55, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
[...]

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.
—Robert Wilensky

Re: Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Suchith Anand

OSGeo Live is one of the excellent success stories of OSGeo and it is important as a community we need to pool our ideas/resources for not only keeping building upon this but expanding for the future. Hence i put this in the wider lists to stimulate ideas. For example at the recent RDA meetings in Barcelona , i started pushing for getting sponsors to fund dedicate staff time for OSGeo Live educational materials for UN and other training/capacity development needs  [1] and i will keep pushing this through all my contacts .

The ideas put by Brian are excellent for the industry/SME ecosystem of OSGeo to start exploring and expanding. For example Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo. Time for online version of QGIS has come (it will be better than Arcgisonline or other properitery ones). QGISOnline will be a true open platform .

Suchith

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-March/012009.html

On 2017-04-18 15:55, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
> Just to add to the mix, and stir the pot somewhat, an idea to consider
> on this . . . what about . . .
>
> having some sort of support stack/infrastructure in place for
> providing the OSGeo-Live as a bunch of different devices and
> (portable) services.  For example,
>

>   *   Generating the Thumb Drives
>      *   These should be generated as needed, based on our usage
> locally for different events.  When we don’t end up using some of them
> at a particular event, we end up re-writing them with the newer
> version of OSGeo-Live for the next event.  Not really an economically
> sound model.
>   *   Setting up something like a Raspberry Pi with OSGeo-Live.
> Possibly for resale, certainly as a download for other to install.
>   *   Setting up a Cloud (OSGE Certified?!) version of OSGe-Live
>   *   As has been mentioned before, an application picker for
> installation of software would go a long ways.
>      *   There’s a bit of effort required for this one I’ll grant you,
> but it would certainly go along was toward promoting OSGeo.
>   *   Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo.
>   *   Setting up a Docker . . .
>
> Well you get the idea,  if your going to pay for something, may as
> well go for broke.  You end up with a one stop shop and possibly a
> container of sorts for other projects to add in their own dedicated
> versions of the same sort of devices/services.

Are you volunteering to implement any of the above?

These are good suggestions, but without people to do the work it will
never materialize.

OSGeo-Live is understaffed as it is, see also:

  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-April/012031.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

James Klassen
Not sure if it is useful to others but I wrote a program [1] to help me when Bob wants a bunch of OSGeo-Live thumb drives created.  It isn't by any means perfect or 100% foolproof but it sure makes the job quicker for me.

It takes an image and waits for USBs of the same size to be inserted, then copys the difference between the image and the drive (this is quicker as reads are much faster than writes on the thumb drives I have seen).  It handles multiple thumb drives at a time, so after starting it, it is just down to changing out drives for new ones as they finish copying.

I make the image running OSGeo Live in KVM and let it build a virtual USB at the size of the drives I have on hand.  It can help to have the image on a tmpfs to avoid the source being a bottleneck.

On Apr 18, 2017 9:45 AM, "Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bas,

We’ve been making Thumb drives for a few years now and DVDs before that.  We’ve been making the Thumb Drives by hand on our own, which is a bit of time and effort to complete.  We’ve been handling this for our own promotional purposes of OSGeo, etc and have only been building less than 75 at a time.

We’ve also installed some of the OSGeo-Live apps on a Raspberry Pi to good effect, but we haven’t tried a whole Live install on a PI yet, but all indications are that it would (mostly) work.  The Short answer is, we’ve figure out the mechanics of this, but the writing of the actual hardware would require some funding to complete as a repeatable process.

bobb

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Cameron Shorter

Hi James, others,

Yes, please do share any tips, tricks and tools you have worked out re USB creation (and other tips) in our wiki. A starting point for collecting USB ideas is here:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Quick_Start_for_USB

And if you have ideas which are "production ready", we should include them in our main OSGeo-Live Quickstart:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/usb_quickstart.html

Thanks,
Cameron

On 2017-04-18 15:55, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
> Just to add to the mix, and stir the pot somewhat, an idea to consider
> on this . . . what about . . .
>
> having some sort of support stack/infrastructure in place for
> providing the OSGeo-Live as a bunch of different devices and
> (portable) services.  For example,
>

>   *   Generating the Thumb Drives
>      *   These should be generated as needed, based on our usage
> locally for different events.  When we don’t end up using some of them
> at a particular event, we end up re-writing them with the newer
> version of OSGeo-Live for the next event.  Not really an economically
> sound model.
>   *   Setting up something like a Raspberry Pi with OSGeo-Live.
> Possibly for resale, certainly as a download for other to install.
>   *   Setting up a Cloud (OSGE Certified?!) version of OSGe-Live
>   *   As has been mentioned before, an application picker for
> installation of software would go a long ways.
>      *   There’s a bit of effort required for this one I’ll grant you,
> but it would certainly go along was toward promoting OSGeo.
>   *   Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo.
>   *   Setting up a Docker . . .
>
> Well you get the idea,  if your going to pay for something, may as
> well go for broke.  You end up with a one stop shop and possibly a
> container of sorts for other projects to add in their own dedicated
> versions of the same sort of devices/services.

Are you volunteering to implement any of the above?

These are good suggestions, but without people to do the work it will
never materialize.

OSGeo-Live is understaffed as it is, see also:

  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-April/012031.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

James Klassen

That wiki page is woefully out of date (seems last update for OSGeo Live 6.5).  I'm not sure how to coherently add onto that.

I follow the instructions using the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator to create the initial image (so I can fill up unused space with a persistent storage file -- we have generally used 8GB USB3 thumb drives).

I have no idea if my copy_usb duplicator program is "production ready" or not other than it has worked well for me on multiple occasions for creating/updating OSGeo Live USB on about 100 sticks each time to hand out at conferences.  It is faster than running dd or the "Startup Disk Creator" for each stick and it doesn't require prior knowledge of the state of the stick like whatever the other tool was that I was looking at before I decided to write my own.  I presume it might be useful for others (and that's why I published it on GitHub), but I haven't heard of anyone else using it.  I know it is very Linux (and possibly Debian) specific for compiling and running.

I don't know what will work for others, just sharing what has worked for me.

On 2017-04-18 15:55, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
> Just to add to the mix, and stir the pot somewhat, an idea to consider
> on this . . . what about . . .
>
> having some sort of support stack/infrastructure in place for
> providing the OSGeo-Live as a bunch of different devices and
> (portable) services.  For example,
>

>   *   Generating the Thumb Drives
>      *   These should be generated as needed, based on our usage
> locally for different events.  When we don’t end up using some of them
> at a particular event, we end up re-writing them with the newer
> version of OSGeo-Live for the next event.  Not really an economically
> sound model.
>   *   Setting up something like a Raspberry Pi with OSGeo-Live.
> Possibly for resale, certainly as a download for other to install.
>   *   Setting up a Cloud (OSGE Certified?!) version of OSGe-Live
>   *   As has been mentioned before, an application picker for
> installation of software would go a long ways.
>      *   There’s a bit of effort required for this one I’ll grant you,
> but it would certainly go along was toward promoting OSGeo.
>   *   Cloud service(s) version of OSGeo.
>   *   Setting up a Docker . . .
>
> Well you get the idea,  if your going to pay for something, may as
> well go for broke.  You end up with a one stop shop and possibly a
> container of sorts for other projects to add in their own dedicated
> versions of the same sort of devices/services.

Are you volunteering to implement any of the above?

These are good suggestions, but without people to do the work it will
never materialize.

OSGeo-Live is understaffed as it is, see also:

  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2017-April/012031.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Mass production of OSGeo Live USB - any SMEs providing this ?

Cameron Shorter

Hi Jim,

Yes you are right. I hope you might feel inspired to update the page?

Likely, the best idea would be to remove most/all existing content, reference the USB Quickstart [1], then add any extra information about your process.

[1] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/usb_quickstart.html