Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

guidos
<TLDR>

1) Can you share what you think the goals for the Marketing Committee should be in 2019?

2) Are there any folks who would be willing to help maintain and produce current content for OSGeo website?

</TLDR>

Hey folks,

The Marketing Committee is working on setting goals for 2019 and would like to get some feedback from the community at large. As we move forward we plan to formalize what metrics we will use to evaluate our success in reaching these goals.

Our main goals include:

- to support our internal conferences with informational materials
- to support our projects

We would also like to solicit support with keeping the website current and would appreciate any folks who would be interested in supporting this effort. If you are willing to help out, please join the marketing list and share your interest there:

Thank you for your consideration and feedback,

Guido & the Marketing Committee

Re: Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

jody.garnett

1) Can you share what you think the goals for the Marketing Committee should be in 2019?

The part of our OSGeo mandate that the marketing committee is positioned to help with is "outreach" - communicating our message to the world. We have a number of efforts across osgeo (local chapters, geoforall and events all come to mind).

2) Are there any folks who would be willing to help maintain and produce current content for OSGeo website?

The website is self serve by the committees and projects that make up our community.
- GeoForAll is making good use of the facilities for example.
- The incubation committee has some work to do, helping new projects get listed on the website.

The marketing committee has some work to do here as well and we really need to recruit!  Writing articles (not of a technical nature) introducing how open source represents a different approach and a different ideal for the geospatial community. :)

During the code sprint we had some fun updating:
https://www.osgeo.org/community/welcome/ (previously the described osgeo taking over from the "University of Minnesota and other organizations" )

But more is needed:
- we need a page on how to start a local chapter
- incubation committee needs a page on how to add a project
- geoforall needs a page on how to add a geoforall lab

Metrics can be hard though:
- any interest in having analytics on the site so we can see what is effective?
- a good metric "getting started page" would be new people signing up for [hidden email] and emailing an introduction

</TLDR>

Hey folks,

The Marketing Committee is working on setting goals for 2019 and would like to get some feedback from the community at large. As we move forward we plan to formalize what metrics we will use to evaluate our success in reaching these goals.

Our main goals include:

- to support our internal conferences with informational materials
- to support our projects

We would also like to solicit support with keeping the website current and would appreciate any folks who would be interested in supporting this effort. If you are willing to help out, please join the marketing list and share your interest there:

Thank you for your consideration and feedback,

Guido & the Marketing Committee

Re: Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

Jonathan Moules-4

Hi Guido,

Possibly somewhat off-topic, but seems pertinent to your post.

While answering a different thread on this list I looked into MapGuide a little. The main listing for MapGuide on OsGeo projects (https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mapguide-open-source/) doesn't link to their website despite that website being hosted on OsGeo: https://mapguide.osgeo.org/

There's also a lot of link-rot on that website, including to OSGeo-wide stuff (Try the OSGeo Community links on the right - several 404's) so they may need some help in maintaining/updating it.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

guidos
Thanks for the feedback Jody and Jonathan,

# Jody

Agreed on all of your points. I hope that this email outreach is a good start for recruiting people to get interested in what the marketing folks are up to. In a way I was hoping that if any projects, chapters, etc... were interested in specific support that this would be a good time for them to step forward.

Many many thanks for your work with the website.

# Jonathon

I wonder if the main link is something Jody can correct and/or is this something that we can get the project folks interested in working on?

-Guido

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 1:41 PM Jonathan Moules <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Guido,

Possibly somewhat off-topic, but seems pertinent to your post.

While answering a different thread on this list I looked into MapGuide a little. The main listing for MapGuide on OsGeo projects (https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mapguide-open-source/) doesn't link to their website despite that website being hosted on OsGeo: https://mapguide.osgeo.org/

There's also a lot of link-rot on that website, including to OSGeo-wide stuff (Try the OSGeo Community links on the right - several 404's) so they may need some help in maintaining/updating it.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: Marketing Committee 2019 Goals and Support

jody.garnett
Thanks Johnathan, let's reach out to the map guide team to fix that link (indeed we can do so as a discussion list since this will be a common occurrence):

So the page is - MapGuide Open Source

First point of contact is the project officer...
- On the website (under about osgeo) is a list to all the board and officers - the mapguide open source contact is "VP, MapGuide Open Source: Robert Bray" - so we can CC him on this email

The mapguide page lists an email list and an issue tracker. I do not want to sign up for a mailing list right now, but we can report the issue in the issue tracker.
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 08:13, Guido Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jonathan I found a thread from earlier in the year where a map guide developer, Jackie Ng (CCed)  , was asking if https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mapguide-open-source/ was going to take over from https://mapguide.osgeo.org/

Jackie if you are content with the new website location we could make a sys admin committee request to turn off mapguide.osgeo.org (and possibly make a redirect). Before you do though can I ask that the link to the source code (https://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/) be added :)
--
Jody Garnett