[Mapserver-users] MapServer fail to generate map images

[Mapserver-users] MapServer fail to generate map images

Jagdesh Singh

Dear All,

I have been developing a MapServer Application and am now at the stage of deploying it over the intranet here at the Guyana Forestry Commission.

I am running ms4w 2.2.5 and Apache 2.2 on a Windows XP machine. I am currently using my workstation as the local webserver until I can get the necessary permissions to use one of the servers here at the GFC.

The application works fine when I run it on my workstation. However, when I try accessing it from the other machines over the intranet, the images in the web page returned are broken. The template document is return with broken links for the images (legend, map img, reference map image). I know Mapserver is working fine because the images (legend, reference map and mapimage) are created in the tmp or ms_tmp (whichever path I choose in the mapfile and HTML file) directories on my machine. It seems that somehow the application cannot access the tmp and ms_tmp directories on my machine to render the images in the user’s browser. This probably has to do with read/write access to these folders on my machine and I am not sure how to do this in the main Apache HTTP server configuration file.

I know that there may be a simple solution to this but I can’t seem to find it at this time. I was hoping that someone may have come across this problem and can offer me some quick tips and guidance.

Look forward hearing from you all.

Best Regards,

Jagdesh

Jagdesh Singh

Head - Forest Resources Information Unit

Guyana Forestry Commission

1 Water Street, Kingston, Georgetown,

Guyana, South America

Tel: + (592) 226-7271/4 (ext 232), Mobile: 641-1451

Fax: + (592) 226-8956

Email: [hidden email]

Website: www.forestry.gov.gy

Re: [Mapserver-users] MapServer fail to generate map images

Jeff McKenna-2
Is this a MapServer CGI application, or Chameleon, or custom
php/mapscript, or other?  maybe you can specify that and it might give
us all a clue.

-jeff

Jagdesh Singh wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have been developing a MapServer Application and am now at the stage
> of deploying it over the intranet here at the Guyana Forestry Commission.
>
> I am running ms4w 2.2.5 and Apache 2.2 on a Windows XP machine. I am
> currently using my workstation as the local webserver until I can get
> the necessary permissions to use one of the servers here at the GFC.
>
> The application works fine when I run it on my workstation. However,
> when I try accessing it from the other machines over the intranet, the
> images in the web page returned are broken. The template document is
> return with broken links for the images (legend, map img, reference map
> image). I know Mapserver is working fine because the images (legend,
> reference map and mapimage) are created in the tmp or ms_tmp (whichever
> path I choose in the mapfile and HTML file) directories on my machine.
> It seems that somehow the application cannot access the tmp and ms_tmp
> directories on my machine to render the images in the user’s browser.
> This probably has to do with read/write access to these folders on my
> machine and I am not sure how to do this in the main Apache HTTP server
> configuration file.
>
> I know that there may be a simple solution to this but I can’t seem to
> find it at this time. I was hoping that someone may have come across
> this problem and can offer me some quick tips and guidance.
>
> Look forward hearing from you all.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jagdesh

Re: [Mapserver-users] MapServer fail to generate map images

Jeff McKenna-2
If you right-click on the broken map image in your browser and view its
properties what path is it looking for?  this could be a clue.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
DM Solutions Group Inc.