Mapnik vs GeoSErver/MapServer

Frans Thamura-3
hi all

anyone can help me, why Mapnik is not map server if we campare with
GeoSErver and MapSErver

it is rendering, but if it is rendering server, why we cannot put
mapnik in Geoserver/Mapserver environment
anyone can help?

--
Frans Thamura (曽志胜)
Shadow Master and Lead Investor

Mobile: +628557888699
Blog: http://blogs.mervpolis.com/roller/flatburger (id)

FB: http://www.facebook.com/meruvian
TW: http://www.twitter.com/meruvian / @meruvian
Website: http://www.meruvian.org

"We grow because we share the same belief."

Re: Mapnik vs GeoSErver/MapServer

nicolas bozon
Hi Frans,

Yes, Mapnik is yet another WMS/WMTS server which specializes in rendering OSM or GDAL/OGR data as fast and beautiful tiles.

Mapserver and Geoserver also have their own renderers, and their own cache tile systems (Mapcache, GeoWebCache). They are also implementing other OGC standards like WFS. As far as i know Mapnik does not support such a standard and is not planning to. Of course, the Mapnik folks can probably explain main features and differences much better than me.

Another minor difference is that Mapnik isn't an OSGeo project, compared to the two other servers you mentionned.

Hope it helps

Best,

Nick

2011/12/10 Frans Thamura <[hidden email]>
hi all

anyone can help me, why Mapnik is not map server if we campare with
GeoSErver and MapSErver

it is rendering, but if it is rendering server, why we cannot put
mapnik in Geoserver/Mapserver environment
anyone can help?

--
Frans Thamura (曽志胜)
Shadow Master and Lead Investor
Meruvian.
Integrated Hypermedia Java Solution Provider.

Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B628557888699" value="+628557888699" target="_blank">+628557888699