[Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Arnulf Christl
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Folks,
the ticket for our new presences server has mutated into something else.
It is a place to operate a continuous metatadata service using OSGeo
software, initially mainly Mapbender. I guess this could become our
reference and portal server, what do you think?

If yes all that we would need to commit to is the administration and
maintenance of that machine as our reference server.

Please speak up because I want to answer the ticket to prevent it from
falling asleep again.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 06:11:31 -0000
From: OSGeo <[hidden email]>
Reply-To: [hidden email], System Administration Committee
Discussion/OSGeo <[hidden email]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
References: <[hidden email]>

#568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
-
---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  arnulf  |       Owner:  [hidden email]
      Type:  task    |      Status:  new
  Priority:  major   |   Component:  Systems Admin
Resolution:          |    Keywords:  osgeo4 migration
-
---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by wildintellect):

 It seems a more appropriate place for this might be on the webextra VM
 which already exists or on a to be created Projects VM. Is this ticket
 still connected to mapbender in any way?

- --
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/568#comment:2>
OSGeo <http://www.osgeo.org/>
OSGeo committee and general foundation issue tracker.
- --
Arnulf Christl

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkv9XcMACgkQXmFKW+BJ1b2FWACfb6zeQr+0rJSDUokpngDnYHcO
IpEAmQG/+oaCN46JqWw7OaQqdDivPuUX
=1YB5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac


_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup)
Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Folks,
> the ticket for our new presences server has mutated into something else.
> It is a place to operate a continuous metatadata service using OSGeo
> software, initially mainly Mapbender. I guess this could become our
> reference and portal server, what do you think?
>  

If the performance is better than on Telascience and it has an OS we are
familiar with, +1

Would this be mapbender.osgeo.org?

Christoph

> If yes all that we would need to commit to is the administration and
> maintenance of that machine as our reference server.
>
> Please speak up because I want to answer the ticket to prevent it from
> falling asleep again.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> - -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 06:11:31 -0000
> From: OSGeo <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: [hidden email], System Administration Committee
> Discussion/OSGeo <[hidden email]>
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
> References: <[hidden email]>
>
> #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
> -
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  arnulf  |       Owner:  [hidden email]
>       Type:  task    |      Status:  new
>   Priority:  major   |   Component:  Systems Admin
> Resolution:          |    Keywords:  osgeo4 migration
> -
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by wildintellect):
>
>  It seems a more appropriate place for this might be on the webextra VM
>  which already exists or on a to be created Projects VM. Is this ticket
>  still connected to mapbender in any way?
>
> - --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/568#comment:2>
> OSGeo <http://www.osgeo.org/>
> OSGeo committee and general foundation issue tracker.
> - --
> Arnulf Christl
>
> Exploring Space, Time and Mind
> http://arnulf.us
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkv9XcMACgkQXmFKW+BJ1b2FWACfb6zeQr+0rJSDUokpngDnYHcO
> IpEAmQG/+oaCN46JqWw7OaQqdDivPuUX
> =1YB5
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>  
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mapbender_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev


--

********************************************
AGIT 2010
7.-9. Juli 2010 in Salzburg
Treffen Sie die WhereGroup an Stand Nr. 30
http://www.agit.at
********************************************
----------------------------------

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte OpenSource-Schulungen
bei der www.foss-academy.eu

----------------------------------

_______________________________________

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Siemensstraße 8
53121 Bonn
Germany

Christoph Baudson
Anwendungsentwickler

Fon: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 15
Fax: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 11
[hidden email]
www.wheregroup.com
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6788
_______________________________________

Komplementärin:
WhereGroup Verwaltungs GmbH
vertreten durch:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
_______________________________________

_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Arnulf Christl
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) wrote:

> Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> Folks,
> the ticket for our new presences server has mutated into something else.
> It is a place to operate a continuous metatadata service using OSGeo
> software, initially mainly Mapbender. I guess this could become our
> reference and portal server, what do you think?
>  
>
>> If the performance is better than on Telascience and it has an OS we are
>> familiar with, +1
>
>> Would this be mapbender.osgeo.org?

That is part of the question. If we want to use this as a reference
server instead of the telascience instance, then yes we would keep it
this way. We can continue to have sandboxes and older versions running
on telascience but I would really like to have a stable machine on
Debain for us to use. Including backup options and so on...

Maybe we can have more feedback from other folks too, especially the
registered admins [1] (I actually *expect* all admins to answer to this
mail... :-).

Arnulf.

[1] http://www.mapbender.org/Category:Administrators

>> Christoph
>
> If yes all that we would need to commit to is the administration and
> maintenance of that machine as our reference server.
>
> Please speak up because I want to answer the ticket to prevent it from
> falling asleep again.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 06:11:31 -0000
> From: OSGeo <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: [hidden email], System Administration Committee
> Discussion/OSGeo    <[hidden email]>
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
> References: <[hidden email]>
>
> #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository
> -
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
>
>   Reporter:  arnulf  |       Owner:  [hidden email]
>       Type:  task    |      Status:  new
>   Priority:  major   |   Component:  Systems Admin
> Resolution:          |    Keywords:  osgeo4 migration
> -
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
>
> Comment (by wildintellect):
>
>  It seems a more appropriate place for this might be on the webextra VM
>  which already exists or on a to be created Projects VM. Is this ticket
>  still connected to mapbender in any way?
>

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev




- --
Arnulf Christl

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkv+k9oACgkQXmFKW+BJ1b0xQACeOzohkNcndiUYvU/uuIwZjdRh
3QgAnA3W5fROTf02HRjnvUopwo/G7tZV
=YzaC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Thomas Baschetti-2
On 27.05.2010 17:46, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> [..stuff about servers, VMs and more...]
> Maybe we can have more feedback from other folks too, especially the
> registered admins [1] (I actually *expect* all admins to answer to this
> mail... :-).
>
i admit i understood the words but didn't catch the meaning of this all,
so feedback is difficult.
As i understand we have the chance to get a faster, more stable VM for
Mapbender with an underlying Debian-base OS instead of the slow
Telascience-VM, right? Then just go for it, we need a good represantation
for mapbender.
If help is needed in regular administration please give some details,
perhaps
i can help. Depends on what to do and how much time is needed.

Ciao
Thomas

--

Thomas Baschetti - Systemanalyse Geographische Informationssysteme
Hakenstraße 8D
49074 Osnabrück

Tel: 0541 25 91 90 | mobil 01577 189 25 91
E-Mail: [hidden email]
www.thomas-baschetti.de
Ust-IdNr.: DE264355072

_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Michael Schulz
Hi,

I think we should be able to both on that vm... the metadata
repository (based on a stable mapbender aka reference plattform) and
also the dev plattforms as reference testbeds and demo instances.
I'd follow Christoph's points in that a faster machine on debian is
way better than the old fedora 4 machine.

Cheers, Michael

2010/5/27 Thomas Baschetti <[hidden email]>:

> On 27.05.2010 17:46, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>> [..stuff about servers, VMs and more...]
>> Maybe we can have more feedback from other folks too, especially the
>> registered admins [1] (I actually *expect* all admins to answer to this
>> mail... :-).
>>
> i admit i understood the words but didn't catch the meaning of this all,
> so feedback is difficult.
> As i understand we have the chance to get a faster, more stable VM for
> Mapbender with an underlying Debian-base OS instead of the slow
> Telascience-VM, right? Then just go for it, we need a good represantation
> for mapbender.
> If help is needed in regular administration please give some details,
> perhaps
> i can help. Depends on what to do and how much time is needed.
>
> Ciao
> Thomas
>
> --
>
> Thomas Baschetti - Systemanalyse Geographische Informationssysteme
> Hakenstraße 8D
> 49074 Osnabrück
>
> Tel: 0541 25 91 90 | mobil 01577 189 25 91
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
> www.thomas-baschetti.de
> Ust-IdNr.: DE264355072
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mapbender_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
>



--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte Open Source Schulungen bei der
http://www.foss-academy.eu/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----------------------------------------------------------
Michael Schulz
[hidden email]

in medias res
Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH

Schwimmbadstraße 2
D-79100  Freiburg i. Br.

Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-102
Tel:  +49 (0)761 705798-0
Fax: +49 (0)761 705798-09

http://www.webgis.de / http://www.zopecms.de
--------------------------------------------------------------
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Giese, Dr. Christof Lindenbeck
Eingetragen im Handelsregister HRB 5930 beim Amtsgericht Freiburg
_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Astrid Emde (WhereGroup)
Hello,

+1 for a faster machine

+1 to operate a continuous metatadata service
+1 to maintain the machine

http://mapbender.osgeo.org would be finde for me. At the moment this
address leads to the mapbender InfoSheet (http://www.osgeo.org/mapbender)

Best regards Astrid

Michael Schulz schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I think we should be able to both on that vm... the metadata
> repository (based on a stable mapbender aka reference plattform) and
> also the dev plattforms as reference testbeds and demo instances.
> I'd follow Christoph's points in that a faster machine on debian is
> way better than the old fedora 4 machine.
>
> Cheers, Michael
>
> 2010/5/27 Thomas Baschetti <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> On 27.05.2010 17:46, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>>    
>>> [..stuff about servers, VMs and more...]
>>> Maybe we can have more feedback from other folks too, especially the
>>> registered admins [1] (I actually *expect* all admins to answer to this
>>> mail... :-).
>>>
>>>      
>> i admit i understood the words but didn't catch the meaning of this all,
>> so feedback is difficult.
>> As i understand we have the chance to get a faster, more stable VM for
>> Mapbender with an underlying Debian-base OS instead of the slow
>> Telascience-VM, right? Then just go for it, we need a good represantation
>> for mapbender.
>> If help is needed in regular administration please give some details,
>> perhaps
>> i can help. Depends on what to do and how much time is needed.
>>
>> Ciao
>> Thomas
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Baschetti - Systemanalyse Geographische Informationssysteme
>> Hakenstraße 8D
>> 49074 Osnabrück
>>
>> Tel: 0541 25 91 90 | mobil 01577 189 25 91
>> E-Mail: [hidden email]
>> www.thomas-baschetti.de
>> Ust-IdNr.: DE264355072
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Mapbender_dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
>>
>>    
>
>
>
>  

_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Mapbender_dev] [Fwd: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo] #568: VM on osgeo4 for Metadata Repository]

Arnulf Christl
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Cool,
thanks for the good feedback. Lets see what we can do. Maybe we make
this a new project called metabender...

:-)

Astrid Emde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> +1 for a faster machine
>
> +1 to operate a continuous metatadata service
> +1 to maintain the machine
>
> http://mapbender.osgeo.org would be finde for me. At the moment this
> address leads to the mapbender InfoSheet (http://www.osgeo.org/mapbender)
>
> Best regards Astrid
>
> Michael Schulz schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think we should be able to both on that vm... the metadata
>> repository (based on a stable mapbender aka reference plattform) and
>> also the dev plattforms as reference testbeds and demo instances.
>> I'd follow Christoph's points in that a faster machine on debian is
>> way better than the old fedora 4 machine.
>>
>> Cheers, Michael
>>
>> 2010/5/27 Thomas Baschetti <[hidden email]>:
>>  
>>> On 27.05.2010 17:46, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>>>    
>>>> [..stuff about servers, VMs and more...]
>>>> Maybe we can have more feedback from other folks too, especially the
>>>> registered admins [1] (I actually *expect* all admins to answer to this
>>>> mail... :-).
>>>>
>>>>      
>>> i admit i understood the words but didn't catch the meaning of this all,
>>> so feedback is difficult.
>>> As i understand we have the chance to get a faster, more stable VM for
>>> Mapbender with an underlying Debian-base OS instead of the slow
>>> Telascience-VM, right? Then just go for it, we need a good
>>> represantation
>>> for mapbender.
>>> If help is needed in regular administration please give some details,
>>> perhaps
>>> i can help. Depends on what to do and how much time is needed.
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thomas Baschetti - Systemanalyse Geographische Informationssysteme
>>> Hakenstraße 8D
>>> 49074 Osnabrück
>>>
>>> Tel: 0541 25 91 90 | mobil 01577 189 25 91
>>> E-Mail: [hidden email]
>>> www.thomas-baschetti.de
>>> Ust-IdNr.: DE264355072
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Mapbender_dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev
>>>
>>>    
>>
>>
>>
>>  
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mapbender_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev


- --
Arnulf Christl

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkv/+1AACgkQXmFKW+BJ1b0EIgCeJXbgONqT+chMaLwXj98R6gv2
F3YAn2N8Zw75fHTxHNIAUHTbKRrvSpDs
=OIqk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Mapbender_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapbender_dev