MapServer on Leopard?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MapServer on Leopard?

Fawcett, David (MNIT)
Is anyone out there using William Kyngesburye on Leopard?  I see that
there is an issue with competing Pythons and I was wondering what people
have done as a workaround.  

Thanks,

David.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

Fawcett, David (MNIT)
OK, not enough coffee yet.  I meant to ask if anyone is using the Kyng
Chaos binaries (MapServer, GDAL, PostGIS, etc.) and framework on Leopard
yet.  

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:[hidden email]] On
Behalf Of Fawcett, David
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:10 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer on Leopard?


Is anyone out there using William Kyngesburye on Leopard?  I see that
there is an issue with competing Pythons and I was wondering what people
have done as a workaround.  

Thanks,

David.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

William Kyngesburye
I have some info on initial tests on my site.  Frameworks, GRASS, QGIS  
work.  Postgres server is tricky to install and get running (if even  
possible at all).  I haven't tested MapServer or PHP yet.

I'm currently working on rebuilding everything.

On Oct 31, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Fawcett, David wrote:

> OK, not enough coffee yet.  I meant to ask if anyone is using the Kyng
> Chaos binaries (MapServer, GDAL, PostGIS, etc.) and framework on  
> Leopard
> yet.
>
> David.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-
> [hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Fawcett, David
> Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:10 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MapServer on Leopard?
>
>
> Is anyone out there using William Kyngesburye on Leopard?  I see that
> there is an issue with competing Pythons and I was wondering what  
> people
> have done as a workaround.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

Puneet Kishor
In reply to this post by Fawcett, David (MNIT)
On 10/31/07, Fawcett, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anyone out there using William Kyngesburye on Leopard?  I see that
> there is an issue with competing Pythons and I was wondering what people
> have done as a workaround.
>


This has to be absolutely the funniest message ever. I mean, using
William Kyngesburye on Leopard. Competing with Pythons. How utterly
animalistic.

Thanks for a good, genuine smile David.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

rgreenwood
Yeah, I laughed at Dave's first email also. The scary thing is, I knew
exactly what he was saying.

I read that Leopard comes with Apache 2.2 and PHP5, but that there is
not a php_postgres  extension.

Regards,
Rich


On 10/31/07, P Kishor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/31/07, Fawcett, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is anyone out there using William Kyngesburye on Leopard?  I see that
> > there is an issue with competing Pythons and I was wondering what people
> > have done as a workaround.
> >
>
>
> This has to be absolutely the funniest message ever. I mean, using
> William Kyngesburye on Leopard. Competing with Pythons. How utterly
> animalistic.
>
> Thanks for a good, genuine smile David.
>


--
Richard Greenwood
[hidden email]
www.greenwoodmap.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

William Kyngesburye
Oh joy, I guess I have to stop ignoring Apache 2.  I always thought  
that Apache 2 was not so much an updated version of Apache, but meant  
for a different purpose (I forget what) [something I read on the  
Apache site once long ago?].

And yes, it's PHP 5.2, but as before as a dynamic Apache module.  The  
stability of PHP-Mapscript is still an unknown with a DSO PHP, so I'll  
be looking at making a PHP CGI installer for Leopard.  Since it's  
Apache 2, it'll have to be separate Tiger/Leopard installers.

On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Richard Greenwood wrote:

> Yeah, I laughed at Dave's first email also. The scary thing is, I knew
> exactly what he was saying.
>
> I read that Leopard comes with Apache 2.2 and PHP5, but that there is
> not a php_postgres  extension.
>
> Regards,
> Rich

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the  
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between  
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

Howard Butler
William,

Leopard is Apache 2.2, not 2.0.  It makes things even more  
interesting... :)

Also, there's a showstopper on Leopard and AGG, and it looks like it  
is Apple's (gcc's) fault. http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2368 
I don't have a good workaround yet.

Howard

On Nov 2, 2007, at 9:08 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Oh joy, I guess I have to stop ignoring Apache 2.  I always thought  
> that Apache 2 was not so much an updated version of Apache, but  
> meant for a different purpose (I forget what) [something I read on  
> the Apache site once long ago?].
>
> And yes, it's PHP 5.2, but as before as a dynamic Apache module.  
> The stability of PHP-Mapscript is still an unknown with a DSO PHP,  
> so I'll be looking at making a PHP CGI installer for Leopard.  
> Since it's Apache 2, it'll have to be separate Tiger/Leopard  
> installers.
>
> On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Richard Greenwood wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I laughed at Dave's first email also. The scary thing is, I  
>> knew
>> exactly what he was saying.
>>
>> I read that Leopard comes with Apache 2.2 and PHP5, but that there is
>> not a php_postgres  extension.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rich
>
> -----
> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that  
> the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy  
> between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"
>
> - The Ruler of the Universe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MapServer on Leopard?

William Kyngesburye
On Nov 2, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Howard Butler wrote:

> William,
>
> Leopard is Apache 2.2, not 2.0.  It makes things even more  
> interesting... :)
>
I was just generalizing it to 2.x, as opposed to 1.3.  But it sounds  
like 2.2 is yet another completely different beast from 2.0?

> Also, there's a showstopper on Leopard and AGG, and it looks like it  
> is Apple's (gcc's) fault. http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/ 
> 2368 I don't have a good workaround yet.
>
Ouch.  Haven't tried yet myself.  I'll see what happens when I get  
there.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled  
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a  
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy