MapServer on Centos 7

Mark Jackson
Hi there

We have a managed server with MapServer and Centos. We asked our ISP
about moving to a new server and they said MapServer "would not work
well with CentOS7, certainly not without a great deal of
customisation and it's something we would not recommend. " (I am not
convinced they know much about MapServer though...)

Does MapServer work well on Centos 7?
Is there a web page that says MapServer works well on Centos 7 - so I
can send it to the ISP ?

Back in 2011 the same ISP installed MapServer 5.6.6 onto Centos 5
quite easily, compiling it from source. I don't know exactly why they
are reluctant to install MapServer on Centos 7 - they have not given
details. We would be happy to use the most up-to-date MapServer, 7.

I've looked at mapserver.org but can't find anything clear about
Centos 7 support. I think the most relevant pages are the download
page http://mapserver.org/uk/download.html and the compiling on Unix
page http://mapserver.org/installation/unix.html

(I'm reluctant to shift to another ISP because up to now, these guys
have been excellent. I'd like to convince them that MapServer is fine
on Centos 7.)

Thanks
Mark

Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd. cannot accept any
responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as
it has been transmitted over a public network.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this e-mail and any
accompanying files have been transmitted to you in error.  You may not
copy, distribute or make any other use of the information contained in
them.

CERC is a trading name of Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd,
registered at Cardiff with number 1926883. Registered Office address:
3 Kings Parade, Cambridge, CB2 1SJ.

Re: MapServer on Centos 7

Michael Smith
We (US Army Corps as well as the other federal agencies I work with, US Army and NGA) use MapServer 7.x on both RHEL 7 and Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 (binary compatible with Centos 7) and have no issues. It’s a very stable platform for us. We run in STIG-ified Apache 2 web server without issue. You can certainly send this to any ISP.

Note that we compile and deploy on separate on separate boxes so we only have the devel packages and compilers on one and then the generated binaries and depending libs on a separate box.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

Re: [EXTERNAL] MapServer on Centos 7

Doug Newcomb-2

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Mark Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this e-mail and any accompanying files have been transmitted to you in error.  You may not copy, distribute or make any other use of the information contained in them.

CERC is a trading name of Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd,
registered at Cardiff with number 1926883. Registered Office address: 3 Kings Parade, Cambridge, CB2 1SJ.

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]

Re: MapServer on Centos 7

Erik Gustafson
Does MapServer work well on Centos 7?

We (Lantmäteriet, the Swedish mapping authority) are running Mapserver 6.x and Mapserver 7.x on RHEL7 with most functionality regarding OGC services enabled.
We have been running Mapserver on RHEL for about 9 years without any major issues regarding the compilation or the stability of the software.

 /Erik