[MapProxy] WMS User Management using MapProxy and ArcGIS Server

[MapProxy] WMS User Management using MapProxy and ArcGIS Server

Fabiola Kälin

Dear list

I have a general question regarding the user management using MapProxy in combination with ArcGIS Server. I’d like to publish a secured WMS. For each user, the same layers shall be available, but a different geography (i.e. each user shall see the data of a different municipality / province).

For example: Is it possible to use the user management of ArcGIS Server, but to define a polygon for each user in MapProxy?

What are the possibilities? Do you have any experience doing something similar? What is the best way of implementing this?

Thanks in advance for your inputs, cheers.

Re: [MapProxy] WMS User Management using MapProxy and ArcGIS Server

Travis Kirstine
MapProxy does support limiting the access to layer based on a geographical extent using the authn / authz API

This does not support the modification of the layer source.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 08:26, Fabiola Kälin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear list

I have a general question regarding the user management using MapProxy in combination with ArcGIS Server. I’d like to publish a secured WMS. For each user, the same layers shall be available, but a different geography (i.e. each user shall see the data of a different municipality / province).

For example: Is it possible to use the user management of ArcGIS Server, but to define a polygon for each user in MapProxy?

What are the possibilities? Do you have any experience doing something similar? What is the best way of implementing this?

Thanks in advance for your inputs, cheers.

Re: [MapProxy] WMS User Management using MapProxy and ArcGIS Server

Travis Kirstine
Yes you can limit the each user to a geographic extent - but you have to build the middle ware application yourself using the MappProxy auth API.  In general the middleware would need to

- Authenticate the user (probably basic authentication).  This is not directly supported by the MapProxy API but you could use other packages as described in the docs like repoze or requests.  Alternatively you could perform the authentication in a proxy using whatever language you prefer and forward the authenticated request to MapProxy with some sort of unique identifier in the request, In our application we proxy / authenticate request using a PHP script and append UserID parameter to requests forwarded to MapProxy
- Use the MapProxy API to construct callable "authorize" method.  This method must return a dictionary of  authorized layers and services for authenticated user as described in the docs.  In the service we've created for our user the authorize method queries a database to fetch users layers and authz status (this could include a BBOX or polygon for limited_to) and convert this to the dictionary .

In regards to the modification of the source,  I meant that you cannot change the source for a layer on the fly using the API.

Good Luck

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 02:55, Fabiola Kälin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I read about the possibility to limit the access to a geographical extent. However, I don’t understand if I can implement a user management or so, so that each user has access to a different geographical extent.

(I don’t understand what you mean by “This does not support the modification of the layer source”).