[MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Oliver Tonnhofer-5
Hi all,

I hope you are all doing fine in this difficult time.

I'd like to share a few information about the MapProxy project and its future.

You all might have noticed that my responses on this lists became rare, and
that the development of new futures slowed down. This is related to how the
business changed for our company Omniscale in the last few years and it is now
clear for us, that we won't continue to work on MapProxy in the future.

However, MapProxy is far from dead. It is in use all around the world and not
only by end-users, but also by companies that have long term business interest
in MapProxy.

I think that being the single vendor of MapProxy hindered other developers from
becoming more active in the past. We like to change this in the coming weeks
and months.

Right now we have a few developers that are working on improving the dimension
support in MapProxy. We also talked to a few companies that would love to
become more active in the development of MapProxy. So I'm confident that we can
build an active developer community.

I want to bring this forward by building a formal foundation for MapProxy aka
Project Steering Committee (PSC), similar to a lot of other open source
projects.

You can read the PSC guidelines of OpenLayers and MapServer as an example:
- https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/wiki/Steering-Committee
- https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-23.html

I will ask a few users and developers off-list in the next week if they are
interested in becoming a member of the PSC. Please feel free to e-mail me if
you are also interested or if you want to nominate someone. I think we should
start with 5-10 members.

Please also let me know if you have any comments about the PSC in general and
the PSC guidelines.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer  | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG  | https://omniscale.com
OpenStreetMap WMS and tile services         | https://maps.omniscale.com

Re: [MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Oliver, all

I was wondering what happened with MapProxy and OSGeo incubation and
found the following links:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/851
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapProxy_Incubation_Application

I think this is a good time to form a PSC and add MapProxy as an OSGeo
Community Project.

Best regards,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
President

Re: [MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Just van den Broecke
Hi Oliver,

Kudos! You and team did so much to make MapProxy a/the Swiss (ok German
;-) ) army knive for tiling. Thank you for that! As a daily user and
promoter of MapProxy I would really like this great project to sustain
and grow. Though I have not made (code) contributions, I hereby offer my
help in any way, like PSC member. We have a growing GeoPython project
community at https://github.com/geopython where I do contribute actively
to several projects.

Kind regards,

Just van den Broecke
The Netherlands

On 03-04-20 15:31, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

> Hi Oliver, all
>
> I was wondering what happened with MapProxy and OSGeo incubation and
> found the following links:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/851
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapProxy_Incubation_Application
>
> I think this is a good time to form a PSC and add MapProxy as an OSGeo
> Community Project.
>
> Best regards,
> Angelos
>
> On 4/3/20 3:57 PM, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I hope you are all doing fine in this difficult time.
>>
>> I'd like to share a few information about the MapProxy project and its
>> future.
>>
>> You all might have noticed that my responses on this lists became
>> rare, and
>> that the development of new futures slowed down. This is related to
>> how the
>> business changed for our company Omniscale in the last few years and
>> it is now
>> clear for us, that we won't continue to work on MapProxy in the future.
>>
>> However, MapProxy is far from dead. It is in use all around the world
>> and not
>> only by end-users, but also by companies that have long term business
>> interest
>> in MapProxy.
>>
>> I think that being the single vendor of MapProxy hindered other
>> developers from
>> becoming more active in the past. We like to change this in the coming
>> weeks
>> and months.
>>
>> Right now we have a few developers that are working on improving the
>> dimension
>> support in MapProxy. We also talked to a few companies that would love to
>> become more active in the development of MapProxy. So I'm confident
>> that we can
>> build an active developer community.
>>
>> I want to bring this forward by building a formal foundation for
>> MapProxy aka
>> Project Steering Committee (PSC), similar to a lot of other open source
>> projects.
>>
>> You can read the PSC guidelines of OpenLayers and MapServer as an
>> example:
>> - https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/wiki/Steering-Committee
>> - https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-23.html
>>
>> I will ask a few users and developers off-list in the next week if
>> they are
>> interested in becoming a member of the PSC. Please feel free to e-mail
>> me if
>> you are also interested or if you want to nominate someone. I think we
>> should
>> start with 5-10 members.
>>
>> Please also let me know if you have any comments about the PSC in
>> general and
>> the PSC guidelines.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Re: [MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Oliver Tonnhofer-5
Hi Just,

great to have you on board!

I requested a -dev list from the OSGeo, but this might take a few days to be setup.

I sketched up a draft for the PSC guidelines: https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/wiki/PSC-Guidelines (ok, I mostly copy&pasted from the MapServer guideline). Let me know what you and everyone else is thinking about it.

Regards,
Oliver

--
> [...]

>>> become more active in the development of MapProxy. So I'm confident that we can
>>> build an active developer community.
>>>
>>> I want to bring this forward by building a formal foundation for MapProxy aka
>>> Project Steering Committee (PSC), similar to a lot of other open source
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> You can read the PSC guidelines of OpenLayers and MapServer as an example:
>>> - https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/wiki/Steering-Committee
>>> - https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-23.html
>>>
>>> I will ask a few users and developers off-list in the next week if they are
>>> interested in becoming a member of the PSC. Please feel free to e-mail me if
>>> you are also interested or if you want to nominate someone. I think we should
>>> start with 5-10 members.
>>>
>>> Please also let me know if you have any comments about the PSC in general and

Re: [MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Oliver Tonnhofer-5

there is now a -dev list. Please subscribe to this list if you are interested in the development of MapProxy.
This list open to everyone, not only for PSC members (candidates).

Oliver