[MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

[MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

Daniel Morissette
Hello MapProxy devs and community,

This email is a heads up that we have started to work on the
implementation of WMS TIME dimension support in MapProxy, including
caching and seeding of time-enabled WMS sources, and support for
assembling WMS requests from a time-enabled tile cache.

This work is funded by the Meteorological Service of Canada and will be
used to serve hundreds or time-enabled weather layers, A RFC (Request
For Comments) document is underway and will be shared via this list
soon, so that other devs and contributors can comment on the proposed
approach to ensure that the implementation will meet the expectations of
the project to be included in future releases. (We are also aware of
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/pull/377 and will actually try to
build on it)

A parallel goal of our initiative will be to set the bases to make it
easier for new devs to join the project as contributors and to assist
Oliver to maintain the project in the long run, inspired by the way
other OSGeo projects work. (We had some exchanges with Oliver on this
offlist already)

Finally, I am only the project lead here, the guys doing the bulk of the
coding work are:

- Ariel Nunez (https://github.com/ingenieroariel)
- Denis Rykov (https://github.com/drnextgis)
- Tom Kralidis (https://github.com/tomkralidis) - Tom is also the end
client who will be testing/validating the final results.

We should hear from them soon.

Cheers all

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

Re: [MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

jratike80
Hi,

I suggest to think from the very beginning how to handle the case with rasters when the time range in the request is very wide so lots of time epochs are found. If the desired result is to serve the latest epochs for each pixel the oldest epochs which would be painted over in any case should be skipped with minimum effort. See https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5899 that hopefully clarifies what I mean.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: [MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

Tom Kralidis
Daniel: thanks for the initial email.

Temporal support in MapProxy will greatly benefit organizations providing WMS
Time services against real-time and numerical weather prediction, as well as
well as climate model scenarios, all of which are data with a first-class
temporal component.

Having said this, it's also good timing to consider project/community
aspects such as code of conduct and contributor guidelines.

Looking forward to continued evolution of this awesome project/community!

..Tom

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 10:42:29 -0500
> From: Daniel Morissette <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy
>
> Hello MapProxy devs and community,
>
> This email is a heads up that we have started to work on the
> implementation of WMS TIME dimension support in MapProxy, including
> caching and seeding of time-enabled WMS sources, and support for
> assembling WMS requests from a time-enabled tile cache.
>
> This work is funded by the Meteorological Service of Canada and will be
> used to serve hundreds or time-enabled weather layers, A RFC (Request
> For Comments) document is underway and will be shared via this list
> soon, so that other devs and contributors can comment on the proposed
> approach to ensure that the implementation will meet the expectations of
> the project to be included in future releases. (We are also aware of
> https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/pull/377 and will actually try to
> build on it)
>
> A parallel goal of our initiative will be to set the bases to make it
> easier for new devs to join the project as contributors and to assist
> Oliver to maintain the project in the long run, inspired by the way
> other OSGeo projects work. (We had some exchanges with Oliver on this
> offlist already)
>
> Finally, I am only the project lead here, the guys doing the bulk of the
> coding work are:
>
> - Ariel Nunez (https://github.com/ingenieroariel)
> - Denis Rykov (https://github.com/drnextgis)
> - Tom Kralidis (https://github.com/tomkralidis) - Tom is also the end
> client who will be testing/validating the final results.
>
> We should hear from them soon.
>
> Cheers all
>
> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Morissette
> Mapgears Inc

Re: [MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

Trond Michelsen-4
Hi.

That's great to hear. I'm the author of the pull request you mention,
and I'd be happy to assist in getting it to work. Since I made this
pull request, I have added dimension support to mbtiles caches, too.

I work at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, and we have a
project coming up (in cooperation with two other Meteorological
Institutes) where we'll probably use Mapproxy, so we are also eager to
expand the support for dimensions.

We are currently using mbtiles for our air quality forecast. Five
layers, 50 timesteps. The entire cache is preseeded (not by mapproxy)
every six hours.

https://luftkvalitet.miljostatus.no/kart/59.92/10.70/11/o3_concentration

Anyway - this works pretty well, but I've not made any effort to
support preseeding or cache expiry.

If I were to start over, I think I'd rather subclass the Tile class,
and add a dimension attribute to it. That would probably be a lot more
elegant than my current patch.

--
Trond Michelsen