MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

I've put up a new RFC for review:

https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc169

Comments/feedback appreciated.

- Jackie

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Stephane Viviand
Hi Jackie,

Does this RFC will remove support for displaying dwf fil in MapGuide as base
map layers ? this functionality is really used in our case to display base
map coming from drawing files
If so, I think there must be an alternative for MapGuide to support for
example georeferenced support pdf files. And hopefully with layer management
as we have with dwf file base.
If the only thing that it removes, is the ability to print as dwf files, we
actually agree to remove this.

Thanks for you answer.
Regards,
Stéphane

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Bruno Scott
Hi Jackie,
In our company, we use 2 main GIS technologies, Mapguide and ESRI.
The main difference rely on the DWF support for mapguide.
I guess that removing the DWF support will end up for us by a mapguide
removal :-(

Bruno Scott

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Jackie Ng
Hi Stéphane,

This RFC does not remove any APIs or functionality. It just marks a whole
series of classes and methods as deprecated.

- Jackie

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Jackie Ng
Hi Bruno,

Can you (and others reliant on DWF support) live with DWF support in
MapGuide being "just there" for the foreseeable future?

No bug fixes. No enhancements. At least not from me. I know nothing about
DWF Toolkit besides how to build it :/ Others will have to step up to the
plate if there are DWF-related bugs. Is this a situation you can accept?

- Jackie

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Bruno Scott
That's fine for us, thanks Jackie.

In the mean while we will have to find another solution to display DWG file.

Bruno Scott

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Martin Morrison
DWG to DWF functions exist within the Autodesk lineup.

Martin Morrison
Infrastructure Application Engineer/Systems Analyst
 Engineering Design Systems, Inc.
540.345.1410
[hidden email]

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

GordonL
No arguments here.
DWF was originally created by Autodesk to create a spatial version of a PDF.

DWF is really obsolete, so slowly moving away from it would be a good thing.

Deprecating the DWF is a good idea and sends the message that alternatives
should be found in the future.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

Jackie Ng
This is an update to tell you all that I have *retracted* this RFC.

DWF support will "just remain there" for the foreseeable future, which seems
to be an acceptable outcome for those that have some opposition.

However I do intend to salvage the [use minizip instead of DWF Toolkit for
reading/writing package files] part of this RFC. This part probably isn't
big enough to warrant its own RFC. Any opposition to that?

- Jackie

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html

Re: MapGuide RFC 169 - Deprecate DWF-related functionality and services

GordonL
No opposition to the [use minizip instead of DWF Toolkit for reading/writing
package files] here.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html