MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

I've put up the first preview release of MapGuide Open Source 4.0

https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/Release/4.0.0/Preview1/Notes

Windows 64-bit binaries are available. Linux binaries will follow shortly as
I am experimenting on a new packaging format for the Linux builds (a
self-extracting tarball combined with the dialog-based text installer).

This release is for *testing purposes* and use in a production environment
is not encouraged.

I'll be showcasing all the new features in an upcoming series of blog posts.
Stay tuned!

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Jackie Ng
There are some known issues with the current release of MapGuide Maestro
(6.0m10) when connecting to a 4.0 preview 1 server.

They have been documented in a new release notes section:

https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/Release/4.0.0/Preview1/Notes#MaestroAuthoringKnownIssues

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

svlad
I did some tests with XYZ-Tiles and UTFGrid and found the following:
Fusion: XYZ yes, UTF no
React layout (normal layout - index.html): XYZ yes, UTF no
React layout (flexible layout - slate.html): XYZ no, UTF no
Pure Open Layers: XYZ yes, UTF yes

regards svlad

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Jackie Ng
Yes, that is the expected matrix of UTFGrid support at this point in time.
Fusion and mapguide-react-layout have not been updated to fully take
advantage of what 4.0 has to offer.

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

GordonL
Are there some Linux builds for the 4.0 Preview?

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Jackie Ng
Not for the 1st 4.0 preview.

I'm trying to get something ready for the 2nd 4.0 preview, but part of the
problem holding up the Linux side of things is that I had been trialing a
new docker-based approach to building MapGuide and FDO for various versions
of CentOS and Ubuntu with impressive efficiency and reliability.

But there's been a snag with this approach: I can't make binaries for 32-bit
Linux this way (to my knowledge) and I loathe to have to fall back to the
old and slower approach of manually spinning up dedicated Linux VMs to build
MapGuide/FDO for specific distros.

So I've been wondering, would you all be fine with MapGuide going 64-bit
only for Linux as well?

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

sebafr
So I've been wondering, would you all be fine with MapGuide going 64-bit
only for Linux as well?

For me it would be wonderful to have only the 64bit version on linux ubuntu.

Em qua., 12 de fev. de 2020 às 07:49, Jackie Ng <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Not for the 1st 4.0 preview.

I'm trying to get something ready for the 2nd 4.0 preview, but part of the
problem holding up the Linux side of things is that I had been trialing a
new docker-based approach to building MapGuide and FDO for various versions
of CentOS and Ubuntu with impressive efficiency and reliability.

But there's been a snag with this approach: I can't make binaries for 32-bit
Linux this way (to my knowledge) and I loathe to have to fall back to the
old and slower approach of manually spinning up dedicated Linux VMs to build
MapGuide/FDO for specific distros.

So I've been wondering, would you all be fine with MapGuide going 64-bit
only for Linux as well?

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

diordonezr
Totally agree -- 64 bit on LINUX.. even better on Ubuntu/Docker ;-)

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Benoit Begin
I understand Mapguide might be useful for some low-end deployment that still
run on 32-bit hardware, but is that common enough to warrant making it a
much harder time on the already hard working devs of Mapguide?

I wonder the feasability of having a kind of hardware/os survey of folks
implementing Mapguide. It'd be hard to get everyone to actually respond but
it might be interesting data. I'd be very curious of 32-bits deployments of
Mapguide.

Or, we could just add in some telemetry that you can't turn off that phones
home with all the juicy personal server information :-)

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

GordonL
I would be very cool with 100% 64bit.

Ubuntu or CentOS...

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

mmorrison
I doubt that anybody is seriously still using 32-bit.  If they are, then are probably comfortable with staying with the previous version of the software too.  64bit or die!!!!!

Martin Morrison
Application Engineer
Main Office: 540-345-1410 Toll Free: 888-355-0081
Products ǀ Training ǀ Service ǀ Tech Support

Please visit microcad3d.com for more information!

I understand Mapguide might be useful for some low-end deployment that still run on 32-bit hardware, but is that common enough to warrant making it a much harder time on the already hard working devs of Mapguide?

I wonder the feasability of having a kind of hardware/os survey of folks implementing Mapguide. It'd be hard to get everyone to actually respond but it might be interesting data. I'd be very curious of 32-bits deployments of Mapguide.

Or, we could just add in some telemetry that you can't turn off that phones home with all the juicy personal server information :-)

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

Jackie Ng
An update on the 64-bit Linux question for those who are interested:

The MapGuide PSC has unanimously voted (for those who did vote) to also drop
32-bit builds of MapGuide for Linux as well.

So with that question out of the way, I am intending to target the following
distros for the next 4.0 preview release:

 - CentOS 7
 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (I wanted to target 18.04 LTS, but their system openssl
is 1.1.0 which is too new to build our code against and Ubuntu is the distro
where we want to build MapGuide/FDO against as many system-provided libs as
we can)

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 4.0 Preview 1 available

loshhilov
For me definitely Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, as a corporate standard.