MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

I've put up windows installers (x86/x64) for the preview release of MapGuide Open Source 2.5

The purpose of this preview release (like 2.4), is to make sure that everything's in order with the windows installer before we go full steam ahead with the 2.5 release cycle.

Only windows installers are available for download for this release. InstantSetup bundles and Linux packages will be available for beta 1.

Downloads and release notes can be found here: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/Release/2.5/Notes

Let us know of any problems with the installer. Thanks.

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Crispin_at_Linknode
Installed on Win7 x64 - machine with MapGuide 2.4 already installed.
Basic connectivity and preview for imported packages looks good with a few comments:

 * Change the default app pool to MapGuide25AppPool

 * Because of the compiled CS-Map files OSTN02._02 and OSTN97._nt (from http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/ticket/151) do the original TXT files need to be in the distribution - saving 50MB before comression

 * The installer did *NOT* create me a Windows service (name conflict?) so I am currently running mgserver \interactive from a CMD prompt

 * Fusion Viewer seems not to switch between different maps - more investigation required

 * Now WIX 3.7 is out is it worth updating the installer? (http://wixtoolset.org/)

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Jackie Ng

> * Change the default app pool to MapGuide25AppPool
> * The installer did *NOT* create me a Windows service (name conflict?) so I am currently running mgserver \interactive from a CMD prompt

Yep missed these bits from the installer

> * Now WIX 3.7 is out is it worth updating the installer? (http://wixtoolset.org/)

Unless required due to upstream project/framework/compiler changes, I prefer to stick with the current version of WiX. If it ain't broke ... yadda yadda.

> * Fusion Viewer seems not to switch between different maps - more investigation required

Possibly a long standing bug if confirmed as one.

> * Because of the compiled CS-Map files OSTN02._02 and OSTN97._nt (from http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/ticket/151) do the original TXT files need to be in the distribution - saving 50MB before comression

I was wondering why this installer bloated up by 20mb, half was due to these two files and the other half was tcpdf that was added to fusion. Are you certain the text files are not required? These dictionary files are all over the place and nobody could explain which ones are actually source and which ones are compiled?

When I first tried to package mg-desktop, I went and trashed all the plain-text files under /Dictionaries and that broke the MgCoordinateSystem API as I obviously deleted something that was important. So I've been leaving this directory as-is for fear of deleting something that shouldn't be deleted. Now if you're certain these TXT files aren't used, I'll be more than happy to leave them out of the next installer.

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Jackie Ng
I've also blogged about the major new features of MGOS 2.5

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/mapguide-open-source-25-whats-new.html

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Crispin_at_Linknode
I'll try and test the requirement for the big CS files on the next 2.5 release by deleting the original (txt) files before I first use a projected map - to ensure a clean setup.  Or you could try and comment them out of the next release and I'll test with them missing!  They are both UK-only high precision network projection support files, regular UK mapping projection for small- and medium-scales would not need them.

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Crispin_at_Linknode
... I see you have done just that :-)

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Jackie Ng
Try the r7314 build

http://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/releases/2.5.0/Test/

This installer excludes the source dictionary files in question.

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Crispin_at_Linknode
OK,

The coordinate system fails when the large source files are missing.  The pre-compiled files help first-time start-up (a bit) but the original .TXT files need to go back into the distribution.

The new "25" service and app-pool names are OK.

WARNING: if you installed the original MapGuide 2.5 Preview on IIS alongside MapGuide 2.4 then (because of a naming clash) an un-install of MapGuide 2.5 Preview will uninstall your MapGuide 2.4 service it seems!

Jackie - there is still a 2.4 reference left somewhere as my MapGuide 2.5 service has a "Display name:" of "MapGuide Server 2.5" but an internal "Service name:" of "MapGuideServer2.4"

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Jackie Ng
Dammit! I see reducing dictionary size is not a very high priority for CS-Map. Sure, having thousands of coordinate systems on hand is nice, but surely some development resources could be spent on finding a way to pack this data in the most space-efficient manner!

There's was a hard-coded "2.4" string that wasn't updated, that's why the service was still installed as "MapGuideServer2.4"

Also just so everyone knows, installing over a previously installed older version of MGOS (via the windows installer) is not a supported scenario. The release notes clearly state this.

- Jackie

Re: MapGuide Open Source 2.5 Preview Release

Crispin_at_Linknode
One option with the dictionaries for the 200MB of Grid-specific country files would be to make either: ?
 a) Separate installer with additional CS grid files
 b) Clever installer with a bootstrapper and on-demand download (though would still need a full installer for servers locked down without outbound HTTP requests)
 c) SVN folder (like the current viewerfiles) so user can select to do an in-place download (same problem as above)

The Fusion PDF plotting requires additional permissions to be set on the following folder:
%ProgramFiles%\OSGeo\MapGuide25\Web\www\fusion\lib\tcpdf\cache

Parallel installations are not supported but from 2.4 onwards but I just bump the port number and it all seems to work fine.
  MGOS2.2 2810/2811/2812
  MGOS2.4 2840/2841/2842
  MGOS2.5 2850/2851/2852

 Crispin