MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal

MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal
I used Autodesk MapGuide6.0 years ago.
Currently I am trying to re-familiarize my self with MapguideOS.
I have a dataset and tutorial for MapGuide2009.

Are there any tutorials and data set for MapguideOS.
As my contribution would there be any value to me capturing all the steps and creating a tutorial for MapguideOS?
I am at the basic level, but I am sure others can add some more advance material.

Anyway, currently I am stuck attempting to load a SID file and then create a layer of the raster.
I have created a new resource and set my coordinate.
Then created a raster layer definition, but on preview I see nothing. However, the map extents min and max is 0,0 this may be a clue as to why I see nothing.
Any suggestion what I may be doing wrong.

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Martin Morrison
You need to set your map extents and coordinate system.

Martin Morrison
Application Engineer
Engineering Design Systems, Inc.
3780 Peters Creek Rd Ext SW
Roanoke, VA  24018
540.345.1410
gis.edsi.com

Mal

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal
Thanks Martin
But I have set the coordinate system as per the document I am following.
However as per your suggestion, how do I set the map extents, and how do I find what the extents are of my raster files.

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Berg, James
Before you start creating Mr Sid raster feature sources, you should know that MapGuide Open Source does not support Mr Sid by default. You need to install the .dlls manually (a fairly complicated process.) Have you tried creating rasters in other formats such as tiff or png? If you haven't you should try that first and figure out Mr Sid after you know how to create at least one working feature source.

I wrote a little tutorial on creating raster feature sources for personal reference that might be helpful (possibly outdated, though)

1. Click the "New Resource" button and select "Feature Source" in the window that appears and click the "Add" button.
2. In the "Select FDO Provider" window, select "GDAL Provider" and click "OK."
3. In the "GDAL Feature Source" tab that appears ensure that the "Single" radio button in the "Type" group is checked.
4. Click either "..." browse buttons in the "File" group or "Alias" group. Clicking the button in the File group will create a manage feature source and clicking the button in the Alias group will create an unmanaged feature source.
Note: Using the Alias group to create an unmanaged feature source will require that the path to the file folder location be set up in the MapGuide Administrator first. See: Configuring External Files.
5. Using the browse window that appears, select the needed raster image and click the "Open" button. The image path will appear in the "File or Folder path" textbox.
6. Create a coordinate system override that will match the coordinate system of the map and other layers. Save and name the feature source.

Mal

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal
Thanks James
That is good advise. So yes I have the raster file working with a PNG file.
It reads the world file and has the correct extents. So I am all good there.

Now how do I get the SID working.
I used OSGeo4W shell to examine the SID file using gdlinfo and the SID file has the min and max limits. However, when I use Maestro to create a new resource and select the SID files, looking at the Edit Config Documents the min and max values show up as 0
what gives, please help.

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Berg, James

What dlls you need will depend on which version of MapGuide OS you have because different versions use different version of FDO. Version 2.4 and 2.5 use FDO 3.8, I believe, and the newest 2.6 uses FDO 3.9.

What version of MapGuide are you using?

You also need different dlls depending on if you use the 32 or 64 bit version of MapGuide (the version of Maestro doesn’t enter into it.) You also need to add the dlls to specific folders in your MapGuide installation. Like I mentioned, all of this will require some research. I recommend searching this mailing list and highly recommend using dependency walker to avoid drowning in missing dll hell.

If you’re using 2.4 or 2.5, here’s a tutorial I wrote to remind myself how to install Mr Sid support. Remember, you’ll need different dlls depending on your MapGuide version and bitness.

This web page describes how to install the plugin on MGOS 2.2. Do not use the dlls listed here; they are out of date. It provides a list of where the plugins should go which is useful.
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS22GdalProvider

This web page is from the MapGuide Users mailing list. It describes how to install the ECW plugin for GDAL. It shows where to find the plugins and where they should go. The dlls needed for ECW are simliar to Mr Sid so the steps apply.
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Step-by-Step-for-ECW-and-MGOS-2-4-td4995445.html#a4995528

The dll files can be downloaded here as indicated in the web page above. Download the first file. These are the right files assuming you version of MGOS is still on a 32bit OS uses GDAL ver 1.9.
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-gdal-1-9-0-mapserver-6-0-1.zip

Mal

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal
Thanks Great info.

I have mapguide V2.5.2.7949 running on Win7/64

a couple of questions.
1. how do I check the FDO version I have
2. in the link you provided a posting that suggested the following for MGOS2.4 on a 32bit OS. Is this also valid for my setup i.e. MGOS 2.5 64bit

"Grab all the files from the C:\GDAL\bin\gdal\plugins\ folder and paste them into:
C:\Program Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\bin\gdalplugins\

From the C:\GDAL\bin\ folder copy the two files:
libecwj2.dll
lti_dsdk.dll

and put them in:
C:\Program Files\OSGeo\MapGuide\Server\bin\ "

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Berg, James
Let's see.

I used MapGuide 2.4 and you're using MapGuide 2.5. Between those versions FDO wasn't upgraded. What worked for me should work for you. The only difference is you're using 64-bit; that will require different binaries.

Try this set of binaries: http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-x64-gdal-1-9-0-mapserver-6-0-1.zip

That's for MapGuide 2.4 (64-bit) which should also work for 2.5. That set was posted by Trevor Wekel in this thread: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Step-by-Step-for-ECW-and-MGOS-2-4-td4995445.html#a4995528

Download the zip and find + copy the dlls to these locations in your install:

Server\bin\libecwj2.dll
Server\bin\lti_dsdk_dll.dll
Server\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll <-- don't need that unless you also want ECW (which requires additional steps anyway)
Server\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MrSID.dll
Server\Fdo\gdal16.dll <-- this one is called "gdal19.dll" now because 2.4/2.5 uses gdal 1.9
Server\Fdo\geos_c.dll
Server\Fdo\iconv.dll
Server\Fdo\libcurl.dll
Server\Fdo\libexpat.dll
Server\Fdo\libpq.dll
Server\Fdo\libtiff.dll
Server\Fdo\proj.dll
Server\Fdo\spatialite.dll
Server\Fdo\xerces-c_2_8.dll
Server\Fdo\zlib1.dll

That list is found here: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS22GdalProvider

Be sure to back up your bin folder first in case this doesn't work.

Mal

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Mal
Thanks James, I truly appreciate the help.
I tried following the instructions and copying the dll to the appropriate folders but got the following error.
when I created a resource with the GDAL

The remote server returned an error: (559) MgFdoException.:
An exception occurred in FDO component.
Unable to load the FDO Provider library '.\GRFPProvider.dll': The specified module could not be found.
  (Cause: , Root Cause: Unable to load the FDO Provider library '.\GRFPProvider.dll': The specified module could not be found.
 )

- MgFeatureServiceHandler.ProcessOperation() line 83 file c:\working\build_area\mapguide\2.5.2\x64\mgdev\server\src\services\feature\FeatureServiceHandler.cpp
- MgOpGetCapabilities.Execute() line 124 file c:\working\build_area\mapguide\2.5.2\x64\mgdev\server\src\services\feature\OpGetCapabilities.cpp

I have also encountered another issue where I have a very simple script in my weblayout  to zoom to a scale. The script runs, because it prompts for a scale. But it does not zoom in or out to the scale.
I have a colleague that tested the same process on a win7/32 install and it worked. MrSID also works for him.

I see that you are also running MapGuide on a 32bit OS.

So should I build MapGuide on a 32bit machine. Would I have more success there.
Has anyone other than me, have had issues with running Mapguide on a win7/64

Re: MapGuide Maestro6.0a3 and Raster.

Berg, James
If you're using 64-bit MapGuide you should stick with the 64-bit binaries.

This is the part where you're going to need to use dependency walker and track down which dlls you're missing.

Put walker on your server and open gdal_MrSID.dll which should be in your bin/gdal folder by now. Next you'll need to add your bin and fdo folders to the list of folders dependency walker checks for binaries.

Options --> Configure Module Search Order...

Use the browse button and add both the bin and fdo folder and click Add Directory. Allow walker to refresh the session when prompted. Walker will tell you which dlls are missing, but some are okay to not have. My copy of gdal_MrSid.dll works even though walker reports that IESHIMS.DLL and WER.DLL are missing.

If you're missing a dll there really isn't much you can do other than track it down on the internet and copy it to your bin folder.

Also, I didn't mention this, but you have to restart the mapguide service in order for any of this to take effect.