Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Luke Michels

I have gotten mapbuilder working with "tilecache" for mozilla. To do this I changed the service to OGC:WMS-C and pointed the xlink:href to tilecache.cgi. The tiles show up great and with good speed. The problem I am running into however is that when viewed in Internet Explorer the tiles don't show up, and all I get are pint tiles. I have also copied the url to access the tile that mozilla uses for a certain bounding box and viewed it in mozilla. When this is done, I see the tile. Any ideas why mapbuilder is displaying the pink tile when in IE.

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Andreas Hocevar
Can you please tell us what version of Mapbuilder you are using, and
post the relevant section of your context.xml?

Regards,
Andreas.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Luke Michels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have gotten mapbuilder working with "tilecache" for mozilla. To do this I
> changed the service to OGC:WMS-C and pointed the xlink:href to
> tilecache.cgi. The tiles show up great and with good speed. The problem I am
> running into however is that when viewed in Internet Explorer the tiles
> don't show up, and all I get are pint tiles. I have also copied the url to
> access the tile that mozilla uses for a certain bounding box and viewed it
> in mozilla. When this is done, I see the tile. Any ideas why mapbuilder is
> displaying the pink tile when in IE.

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Steven M. Ottens-2
And list the version of IE.
I've got mapbuilder, tilecache and IE6/7 running, so it should be
possible. It might be PNG related or a timing problem, giving us an
url will help to find the problem.

Steven

Steven M. Ottens -==- http://research.geodan.nl/planet

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Luke Michels

Here is a test url. Please keep in mind I know there is some graphical stuff wrong and the print has some minor issues, but the two layers that are set up to be tiled are Countries and Major Lakes.
Also if anybody is interested you can see the hide and show feature I have added to map builder. If you zoom in a couple of zoom levels you will see the layer Cities appear in the menu on the right and dissapear as you zoom back out.
Any help with the tile caching is greatly appreciated.

"Steven M. Ottens" <[hidden email]>

06/05/2008 07:34 AM

Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]>
cc
"Luke Michels" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Subject
Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Map tiling with Mapbuilder

And list the version of IE.
I've got mapbuilder, tilecache and IE6/7 running, so it should be
possible. It might be PNG related or a timing problem, giving us an
url will help to find the problem.

Steven

On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Andreas Hocevar wrote:

> Can you please tell us what version of Mapbuilder you are using, and
> post the relevant section of your context.xml?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Luke Michels <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have gotten mapbuilder working with "tilecache" for mozilla. To
>> do this I
>> changed the service to OGC:WMS-C and pointed the xlink:href to
>> tilecache.cgi. The tiles show up great and with good speed. The
>> problem I am
>> running into however is that when viewed in Internet Explorer the
>> tiles
>> don't show up, and all I get are pint tiles. I have also copied
>> the url to
>> access the tile that mozilla uses for a certain bounding box and
>> viewed it
>> in mozilla. When this is done, I see the tile. Any ideas why
>> mapbuilder is
>> displaying the pink tile when in IE.

Steven M. Ottens -==- http://research.geodan.nl/planet

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Luke Michels

Sorry Here is the link I forgot to put it in on my last post

http://na.unep.net/Luke/map/

Here is a test url. Please keep in mind I know there is some graphical stuff wrong and the print has some minor issues, but the two layers that are set up to be tiled are Countries and Major Lakes.
Also if anybody is interested you can see the hide and show feature I have added to map builder. If you zoom in a couple of zoom levels you will see the layer Cities appear in the menu on the right and dissapear as you zoom back out.
Any help with the tile caching is greatly appreciated.

"Steven M. Ottens" <[hidden email]>

06/05/2008 07:34 AM

Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]>
cc
"Luke Michels" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Subject
Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Map tiling with Mapbuilder

And list the version of IE.
I've got mapbuilder, tilecache and IE6/7 running, so it should be
possible. It might be PNG related or a timing problem, giving us an
url will help to find the problem.

Steven

On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Andreas Hocevar wrote:

> Can you please tell us what version of Mapbuilder you are using, and
> post the relevant section of your context.xml?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Luke Michels <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have gotten mapbuilder working with "tilecache" for mozilla. To
>> do this I
>> changed the service to OGC:WMS-C and pointed the xlink:href to
>> tilecache.cgi. The tiles show up great and with good speed. The
>> problem I am
>> running into however is that when viewed in Internet Explorer the
>> tiles
>> don't show up, and all I get are pint tiles. I have also copied
>> the url to
>> access the tile that mozilla uses for a certain bounding box and
>> viewed it
>> in mozilla. When this is done, I see the tile. Any ideas why
>> mapbuilder is
>> displaying the pink tile when in IE.

Steven M. Ottens -==- http://research.geodan.nl/planet

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Andreas Hocevar
Luke,

Looking at the code of your application, I see that you are using
mapbuilder-1.5rc1, not rc2. Please upgrade to rc2 and check if the
problem persists.

The reason is that the bounding box for the map is calculated
incorrectly in IE, so it is larger than -180,-90,180,90. This, again,
causes the tiles to have an incorrect tile origin, which TileCache
cannot handle. I have never seen this before, but it could be an
OpenLayers issue. Anyway, if we want to track that further, we need to
work with up-to-date versions.

Regards,
Andreas.

Luke Michels wrote:

> Sorry Here is the link I forgot to put it in on my last post
>

> http://na.unep.net/Luke/map/
>

> Here is a test url. Please keep in mind I know there is some graphical
> stuff wrong and the print has some minor issues, but the two layers
> that are set up to be tiled are Countries and Major Lakes.
> Also if anybody is interested you can see the hide and show feature I
> have added to map builder. If you zoom in a couple of zoom levels you
> will see the layer Cities appear in the menu on the right and
> dissapear as you zoom back out.
> Any help with the tile caching is greatly appreciated.
>

> *"Steven M. Ottens" <[hidden email]>*
>
> 06/05/2008 07:34 AM

> Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]>
> cc
> "Luke Michels" <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email]
> Subject
> Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Map tiling with Mapbuilder
>

> And list the version of IE.
> I've got mapbuilder, tilecache and IE6/7 running, so it should be
> possible. It might be PNG related or a timing problem, giving us an
> url will help to find the problem.
>
> Steven
>

> On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
>
> > Can you please tell us what version of Mapbuilder you are using, and
> > post the relevant section of your context.xml?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas.
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Luke Michels <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I have gotten mapbuilder working with "tilecache" for mozilla. To
> >> do this I
> >> changed the service to OGC:WMS-C and pointed the xlink:href to
> >> tilecache.cgi. The tiles show up great and with good speed. The
> >> problem I am
> >> running into however is that when viewed in Internet Explorer the
> >> tiles
> >> don't show up, and all I get are pint tiles. I have also copied
> >> the url to
> >> access the tile that mozilla uses for a certain bounding box and
> >> viewed it
> >> in mozilla. When this is done, I see the tile. Any ideas why
> >> mapbuilder is
> >> displaying the pink tile when in IE.

> Steven M. Ottens -==- http://research.geodan.nl/planet

Re: Map tiling with Mapbuilder

Andreas Hocevar
Luke,

as a workaround, you could try to use a doctype in your html page that
sets the browser to standards-compliant mode, e.g.

This will cause different margin/border/padding interpretation inside
the map pane. With that setting, the map viewport should be the same
size in IE and other browsers, and this might solve your problem.

Regards,
andreas.