Map Server

Igor V. Burago
Hi everyone!

I'm continuing exploration of GeoNetwork.
Now I want to publish my maps using MapServer and link them into GeoNetwork,
so I can use InterMap.
(Viewing maps in InterMap is very important to me.) But there is no manual
on this subject.
I don't need manual about MapServer itself or great publishing issues,
I want to simply publish my maps to view them using InterMap in GeoNetwork.

I thought, it's not too hard, but I'm still cannot solve this problem.
Maybe someone already knows how to do this?
I'll appreciate any help.

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago

Re: Map Server

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
Hi Igor, you should set up a wms in your mapfile and then in the metadata
create an OnLineSrc in the distribution info section with a protocol
"OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map", then you should get the interactive map
button.

HTH. Francois

I'm continuing exploration of GeoNetwork.
Now I want to publish my maps using MapServer and link them into GeoNetwork,
so I can use InterMap.
(Viewing maps in InterMap is very important to me.) But there is no manual
on this subject.
I don't need manual about MapServer itself or great publishing issues,
I want to simply publish my maps to view them using InterMap in GeoNetwork.

I thought, it's not too hard, but I'm still cannot solve this problem.
Maybe someone already knows how to do this?
I'll appreciate any help.

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago
GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork

Re: Map Server

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
Hi Igor, could you give us the URL/protocol you are using to register your
mapservices ?

Did you have a look to the log, maybe there’s some intermap’ exception in
here ?

Cheers

Francois

  _____

I'm continuing exploration of GeoNetwork.
Now I want to publish my maps using MapServer and link them into GeoNetwork,
so I can use InterMap.
(Viewing maps in InterMap is very important to me.) But there is no manual
on this subject.
I don't need manual about MapServer itself or great publishing issues,
I want to simply publish my maps to view them using InterMap in GeoNetwork.

I thought, it's not too hard, but I'm still cannot solve this problem.
Maybe someone already knows how to do this?
I'll appreciate any help.

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago
GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork

I can't understand what you mean. Would you please describe this subject in
details:
what URL should I use, what protocol (there is no
"OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map " protocol in
OnLine resource combobox), how it works? I've tried several variants, but
each time InterMap
said: "The requested operation could not be performed." May be my URL is
wrong?

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago

Re: Map Server

KiranShakya-2
hi Igor

I am also facing the same problem.  I have UMN Mapserver and GeoNetwork.  I want to use InterMap as the client for MapServer but no idea where to configure.

I did went to Distribution of geonetwork > Distribution info> online resources.

On linkage : http://myhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/kiranWMS/map/demo.map
on protocol: OpenGIS Map service (ver 1.1.1)
on Name:
on Description: My Site

by doing this, i get the link "Internet mapping" but it does not connect to my UMN MapServer.  I could not see any maps.

If any of you have found the solution in this matter, I will be very grateful, if you could share the information with me (or all of us).

Thank you in advance.

Kiran

Re: Map Server

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
I think you could not get intermap works with mapserver without using a wms
service. So first set up a wms service for your mapfile :
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server

Name should be the name of the layer as defined in the getCapabilities
operation of the WMS services.

For example :
    <onLineSrc>
        <linkage>http://gesteau.eaufrance.fr/service?</linkage>
        <protocol>OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map</protocol>
        <orName>CONTRATEX</orName>
        <orDesc>Carte des contrats de rivière en cours d'exécution</orDesc>
    </onLineSrc>

Maybe you could also get more info on that thread :
http://www.nabble.com/Need-help-configuring-geonetwork-to-use-WMS-tf3230378s
18419.html#a8975280
HTH
Francois

2007/8/28, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE <[hidden email]>:

> I think you could not get intermap works with mapserver without using a
> wms
> service. So first set up a wms service for your mapfile :
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server
>
> Name should be the name of the layer as defined in the getCapabilities
> operation of the WMS services.
>
> For example :
>     <onLineSrc>
>         <linkage> http://gesteau.eaufrance.fr/service?</linkage>
>         <protocol>OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map</protocol>
>         <orName>CONTRATEX</orName>
>         <orDesc>Carte des contrats de rivière en cours
> d'exécution</orDesc>
>     </onLineSrc>
>
> Maybe you could also get more info on that thread :
> http://www.nabble.com/Need-help-configuring-geonetwork-to-use-WMS-tf3230378s
>
> 18419.html#a8975280
> HTH
> Francois

I've tried your solution from
http://www.nabble.com/Need-help-configuring-geonetwork-to-use-WMS-tf3230378s18419.html#a8975280thread.
But it does not work.

I entered these data:
Linkage =
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/itasca.map;
Name = drgs;
Select protocol = OpenGIS Map service (ver. 1.1.1) ("<protocol>OGC:
WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map </protocol>" in XML).

When I'm trying
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/itasca.map&service=wms&version=1.1.1&layers=drgs&request=GetMap
URL in my browser everything works correctly (I can see map in browser). But
GeoNetwork makes another URL:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/itasca.map&service=drgs&type=2.
It seems strange, I thought service should be "wms". And when I'm trying
this URL in browser, it does not work.

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago

Re: Map Server

Igor V. Burago
Hi Francois!

2007/8/29, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE <[hidden email]>:

>  Which version of GeoNetwork are you using ? 2.0 or 2.1
>

> Francois
>

>  ------------------------------

Now I'm using GeoNetwork 2.0.3, but soon I'll have to switch over to new
GeoNetwork 2.1 release.
Is there valuable changes in linking maps between 2.0.3 and 2.1 versions of
GeoNetwork?

By the way, may be you have tiny working map with WMS at hand? I would like
to check is there problem in my maps. But still I can't, because I'm not
sure I have correct WMS map. Could you send me complete example (map file,
shape file, etc.) of map that really works and supports WMS? I'll really
appreciate it.

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago

Re: Map Server

Igor V. Burago
Hi Francois!

2007/8/31, François-Xavier PRUNAYRE <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Igor, could you try to make it work with these parameters :
> <onLineSrc>
> >         <linkage> http://gesteau.eaufrance.fr/service?</linkage>
> >         <protocol>OGC:WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map</protocol>
> >         <orName>CONTRATEX</orName>
> >         <orDesc>Carte des contrats de rivière en cours
> > d'exécution</orDesc>
> </onLineSrc>
> And check that intermap is showing the map (zoom to France to check the
> map).
>
> I'm not an Intermap expert but I think it could be linked to the url of
> intermap
> If that works :
>
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/itasca.map&serv
> ice=wms&version=1.1.1&layers=drgs&request=GetMap
> ... you're WMS is up and running.
>
> Maybe having a "?" or "&" in the linkage is the origin. I'll try to test
> that ... but I'm quite busy today.
> Cheers. Francois

Unfortunately, I can't. There is no possible way to connect the Internet,
except proxy at my organization. But there is no way to specify login name
and password for proxy in GeoNetwork now. (This feature will be added in new
2.1 release, I think. That's why I'll have to switch over to new release
soon.) So I can't test InterMap using remote map services.

But I can't understand why InterMap fails viewing local maps. I've tried to
use alias (using RewriteEngine of Apache) instead of long URL with '?' and
'&'. But there is no positive result: "The requested operation could not be
performed." May be InterMap has detailed diagnostics, may be I can see it?

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago

Re: Map Server

Jeroen Ticheler-3
Hi Igor,
The information you entered seems correct.

Did you look at the output in the log files? There may be some hints
there.

Does the GetCapabilities request work properly?

On UNIX I use a small script in the cgi-bin to simplify the URL to
the map server. Not sure this works on Windows, never tried. It would
create a URL like http://localhost/cgi-bin/itasca for example, hiding
the .../mapserver.exe?map=/... part

Ciao,
Jeroen

On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:58 AM, Igor V. Burago wrote:

> I've tried your solution from
> http://www.nabble.com/Need-help-configuring-geonetwork-to-use-WMS-
> tf3230378s18419.html#a8975280thread.
> But it does not work.
>
> I entered these data:
> Linkage =
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> itasca.map;
> Name = drgs;
> Select protocol = OpenGIS Map service (ver. 1.1.1) ("<protocol>OGC:
> WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map </protocol>" in XML).
>
> When I'm trying
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> itasca.map&service=wms&version=1.1.1&layers=drgs&request=GetMap
> URL in my browser everything works correctly (I can see map in
> browser). But
> GeoNetwork makes another URL:
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> itasca.map&service=drgs&type=2.
> It seems strange, I thought service should be "wms". And when I'm
> trying
> this URL in browser, it does not work.
>
> Thank You,
> Igor V. Burago
> projects/geonetwork

Re: Map Server

Igor V. Burago
Hi Jeroen!

2007/8/31, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Igor,
> The information you entered seems correct.
>
> Did you look at the output in the log files? There may be some hints
> there.
>
> Does the GetCapabilities request work properly?
>
> On UNIX I use a small script in the cgi-bin to simplify the URL to
> the map server. Not sure this works on Windows, never tried. It would
> create a URL like http://localhost/cgi-bin/itasca for example, hiding
> the .../mapserver.exe?map=/... part
>
> Ciao,
> Jeroen
>
> On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:58 AM, Igor V. Burago wrote:
>
> > I've tried your solution from
> > http://www.nabble.com/Need-help-configuring-geonetwork-to-use-WMS-
> > tf3230378s18419.html#a8975280thread.
> > But it does not work.
> >
> > I entered these data:
> > Linkage =
> > http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> > itasca.map;
> > Name = drgs;
> > Select protocol = OpenGIS Map service (ver. 1.1.1) ("<protocol>OGC:
> > WMS-1.1.1-http-get-map </protocol>" in XML).
> >
> > When I'm trying
> > http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> > itasca.map&service=wms&version=1.1.1&layers=drgs&request=GetMap
> > URL in my browser everything works correctly (I can see map in
> > browser). But
> > GeoNetwork makes another URL:
> > http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/
> > itasca.map&service=drgs&type=2.
> > It seems strange, I thought service should be "wms". And when I'm
> > trying
> > this URL in browser, it does not work.
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Igor V. Burago
> > projects/geonetwork

Thanks! I've found out that an exception is raised when I try to open
Interactive Map (using "Interactive Map" button or link in GeoNetwork). This
is appropriate part of my Apache Tomcat log-file.

2007-09-03 16:05:08 | HTML Request (GET) :
/geonetwork/intermap/srv/en/map.addServicesExt
2007-09-03 16:05:08 | Dispatching : map.addServicesExt
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |  -> parameters are :
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |       service = lakes
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |       url =
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/test.map

2007-09-03 16:05:08 |       type = 2
2007-09-03 16:05:08 | [map.addServicesExt] Exception when executing service
2007-09-03 16:05:08 | [map.addServicesExt]  (C) Exc : java.io.IOException:
Server returned HTTP response code: 407 for URL:
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd
2007-09-03 16:05:08 | Raised exception while executing service
<error id="error">
  <exception>
    <message>Server returned HTTP response code: 407 for URL:
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd
</message>
    <string>java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 407 for
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.startDTDEntity(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.setInputSource(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$DTDDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)&#xD;
    at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build (SAXBuilder.java:453)&#xD;
    at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:770)&#xD;
    at jeeves.utils.Xml.loadStream(Xml.java:85)&#xD;
    at
org.wfp.vam.intermap.kernel.map.mapServices.wms.WmsGetCapClient.sendGetCapRequest(
WmsGetCapClient.java:91)&#xD;
    at
org.wfp.vam.intermap.kernel.map.mapServices.wms.WmsGetCapClient.getCapabilities
(WmsGetCapClient.java:50)&#xD;
    at org.wfp.vam.intermap.services.map.MapUtil.addService (MapUtil.java
:120)&#xD;
    at org.wfp.vam.intermap.services.map.AddServices.exec(AddServices.java
:66)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.dispatchers.ServiceInfo.execService(ServiceInfo.java
:238)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.dispatchers.ServiceInfo.execServices (ServiceInfo.java
:141)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.dispatchers.ServiceManager.dispatch(ServiceManager.java
:375)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.JeevesEngine.dispatch(JeevesEngine.java:614)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.sources.http.JeevesServlet.execute (JeevesServlet.java
:170)&#xD;
    at jeeves.server.sources.http.JeevesServlet.doGet(JeevesServlet.java
:99)&#xD;
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)&#xD;
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service (HttpServlet.java:802)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(
ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(
ApplicationFilterChain.java :173)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(
StandardWrapperValve.java:213)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(
StandardContextValve.java:178)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(
StandardHostValve.java:126)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(
ErrorReportValve.java:105)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke (
StandardEngineValve.java:107)&#xD;
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(
CoyoteAdapter.java:148)&#xD;
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)&#xD;

    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection
(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)&#xD;
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(
PoolTcpEndpoint.java :527)&#xD;
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(
LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)&#xD;
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(
ThreadPool.java:684)&#xD;
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)</stack>
  </exception>
  <request>
    <language>en</language>
    <service>map.addServicesExt</service>
  </request>
  <noResponse />
</error>
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |    -> dispatching to error for : map.addServicesExt
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |      -> transforming with stylesheet : C:\Program
Files\GeoNetwork\web-intermap\/xsl/im_error.xsl
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |      -> end error transformation for :
map.addServicesExt
2007-09-03 16:05:08 |    -> error ended for : map.addServicesExt

Does InterMap try to connect the Internet to view my local map? Why?

Map parameters:

   - Linkage:
   http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/workshop/test.map.
   - Protocol: OpenGIS Map Service (ver 1.1.1).
   - Name: lakes (layer of the map I'd like to see).

Thank You,
Igor V. Burago