Make wms layer groups requestable

Yves Jacolin-2
Hello,

1 year ago Thomas Bonfort worked on a PR to make WMS Layer groups (defined with wms_layer_groups Layer Metadata items) to be requestable.

That's mean that if a Layer has wms_layer_group=/group1/group2 then group1 can be requested i GetMap request. This is the same behaviour as GROUP excep that GROUP can have only one group level. This change means that GROUP could be seen as deprecated.

I worked on a PR for documentation [2]  and I think MIGRATION_GUIDE doesn't need to be adapted. I worked on a new branch from a newer master branch and cherry-pick the 3 commits from Thomas Bonfort branch.

My question is what developpers and PSC think about this? We (Camptocamp) would like to see this merged in the MapServer code base and are ready to help if changes are needed. If you agree we can close the Thomas PR and open a new one from my new branch.

Thanks for your feedback.

Y.
--
Training and support manager
Camptocamp France SAS

Tel (France) : +33 4 58 48 20 43
Tel (Switzerland) : +41 21 619 10 43
Mob. : +33 6 18 75 42 21

email : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: Make wms layer groups requestable

Even Rouault-2

Yves,

the links were missing in your email. I think you meant:

- Thomas' original PR: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5371

- your doc PR: https://github.com/mapserver/docs/pull/209/files

- your new branch with Thomas commits: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/compare/master...yjacolin:wms_group_queryable

I personnally don't have a strong opinion on the topic, but all this looks

reasonnable, so I'll happily push on the merge button if Travis is happy. So yes, open

a new PR on your new branch.

Even

> Hello,

> 1 year ago Thomas Bonfort worked on a PR to make WMS Layer groups (defined

> with wms_layer_groups Layer Metadata items) to be requestable.

> That's mean that if a Layer has wms_layer_group=/group1/group2 then group1

> can be requested i GetMap request. This is the same behaviour as GROUP

> excep that GROUP can have only one group level. This change means that

> GROUP could be seen as deprecated.

> I worked on a PR for documentation [2] and I think MIGRATION_GUIDE doesn't

> need to be adapted. I worked on a new branch from a newer master branch and

> cherry-pick the 3 commits from Thomas Bonfort branch.

> My question is what developpers and PSC think about this? We (Camptocamp)

> would like to see this merged in the MapServer code base and are ready to

> help if changes are needed. If you agree we can close the Thomas PR and

> open a new one from my new branch.

> Thanks for your feedback.

> Y.

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Make wms layer groups requestable

jratike80

There is a real need to make it possible to advertise group layers which have a name as <Layer queryable="1">. There are many clients which do not enable GetFeatureInfo tool otherwise.

There may be some corner cases when it would be nice to have also a possibility to have groups with title but no name as so called “containing categories”. But I consider that loosing containing categories is a little loss compared to a win that comes with queryable layer groups.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: Make wms layer groups requestable

Yves Jacolin-2
Thank you Even to take time to find the correct PR :)  I will create my PR this afternoon.

Jukka, it seem that your need is link to this PR: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5220

Thanks.

Y.

[...]

Tel (France) : <a href="tel:04%2058%2048%2020%2043" value="+33458482043" target="_blank">+33 4 58 48 20 43
Tel (Switzerland) : <a href="tel:+41%2021%20619%2010%2043" value="+41216191043" target="_blank">+41 21 619 10 43
Mob. : <a href="tel:06%2018%2075%2042%2021" value="+33618754221" target="_blank">+33 6 18 75 42 21

email : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com