Main website design

12

Main website design

Nathan Woodrow
Hi all,

I would like to propose that maybe now that we have some extra cash thanks to our gold sponsor that it might be good to spend at little bit on a main website design.  I think $1000 would get a pretty nice home page and IMO it is well worth the money.  Most designs on 99designes[0] are around $700 and look quite good.

The main page page of a project makes all the difference when it comes to the impression it leaves on users and this is one thing I think it is worth spending a little money on to get a professional job done.

Thoughts.

- Nathan

Re: Main website design

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 11/17/2012 12:14 PM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose that maybe now that we have some extra cash
> thanks to our gold sponsor that it might be good to spend at little bit
> on a main website design.  I think $1000 would get a pretty nice home
> page and IMO it is well worth the money.  Most designs on 99designes[0]
> are around $700 and look quite good.
>
> The main page page of a project makes all the difference when it comes
> to the impression it leaves on users and this is one thing I think it is
> worth spending a little money on to get a professional job done.
>
> Thoughts.

Hi Nathan,

I agree that as a project it is great to have a nice website layout.

But my experience with a lot of designers like the ones from 99designes
is that they can create a really nice looking frontpage, but often only
from scratch, and only with their own tools and scripts.

While in my opinion we should have a relatively simple website design
(looking at Google stuff) which we can reuse in all our web/html/html stuff.

So not only a nice looking frontpage, But also:
- created using the templating system of Sphinx (because we want to have
this as a localisation framework)
- created with OR behaving like the bootstrap framework: responsive
design (both on desktop and phone looking nice) (and we can use the
relatively simple generated html also into QGIS itself (clicking help in
a certain dialog just shows a part of the docs into a popup).
- simple simple simple flat structure, so you always now where you are
in the simple simple hierarchy
- having a good index OR good search engine OR google searchable is in
my opnion more important than a frontpage overloaded with links to all
functional corners of website and docs

Concluding: it is fine to spent some money on someone who has clear
ideas on usability and webdesign, but please let it be one who at least
is able to use our framework and preferably can implement his/her ideas
him/herself in our framework (because it think that is our main problem...)

Regards,

Richard

Re: Main website design

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

My opinion is that if we start using any project cash it should be to pay e.g. young graduate or similar to do stuff like write tests, cleanup api docs, beef up python cookbook. As far as the web site is concerned, I think the greater need is for information management / organisation than for design, and that is something that can come from within the project. We just need someone to come up with a great bootstrap theme for us and it seems like boottheme.com provides a simple avenue for this if we can get e.g. Anita or someone with a good eye for visuals to spend a little time coming up with good theme that is distinctive.

Regards

Tim

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Budget allocation (was: Main website design)

pcav
Il 17/11/2012 21:17, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> My opinion is that if we start using any project cash it should be to pay e.g. young

Hi all.
In general, I think we should:

- list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:

  * SIP Bindings revision
  * Symbology overhaul
  * Labelling overhaul
  * New web site and docs
  * SEXTANTE integration
  * Interface cleanup and consistency
  * Plugins migration

Missing anything?

- see if there is any of these who is likely to cause a serious delay (too much work,
few resources)

- get an estimate to fix it

- start a bidforfix campaign about it (sorry, I'm late on this)

- if we can't get enough money from the campaign to cover all the needs, decide how
to best allocate our sponsors and donors resources.

Opinions?
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation (was: Main website design)

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 17/11/2012 21:17, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> My opinion is that if we start using any project cash it should be to pay e.g. young

Hi all.
In general, I think we should:

- list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:

  * SIP Bindings revision
  * Symbology overhaul
  * Labelling overhaul
  * New web site and docs
  * SEXTANTE integration
  * Interface cleanup and consistency
  * Plugins migration

Missing anything?

- see if there is any of these who is likely to cause a serious delay (too much work,
few resources)

- get an estimate to fix it

- start a bidforfix campaign about it (sorry, I'm late on this)

- if we can't get enough money from the campaign to cover all the needs, decide how
to best allocate our sponsors and donors resources.

Sounds good to me. PS Paolo have you seen the funding campaign app they use on http://openlayers,org?

Regards

Tim

Opinions?
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 18/11/2012 08:41, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Sounds good to me. PS Paolo have you seen the funding campaign app they use on
> http://openlayers,org?

http://www.indiegogo.com
gosh, yet another one! seems a flourishing market.
I hoped we already selected bidforfix - anyone knows pros and cons?
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 18/11/2012 08:58, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
> Il 18/11/2012 08:41, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
>> Sounds good to me. PS Paolo have you seen the funding campaign app they use on
>> http://openlayers,org?
>
> http://www.indiegogo.com
> gosh, yet another one! seems a flourishing market.
> I hoped we already selected bidforfix - anyone knows pros and cons?

indegogo takes 4% from donations, or 9% if we do not reach the goal (plus 3% from
donors). unclear to me what are the costs involved for bidforfix.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Nathan Woodrow
That sounds a bit harsh to me. I don't think bidforfix takes anything
from us or users

Sent from some fancy phone looking thingo

Il 18/11/2012 09:30, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:
> That sounds a bit harsh to me. I don't think bidforfix takes anything
> from us or users

In fact, we had indiegogo already on the list, and discarded it for this reason, and
because it is not targeted towards software.
So I'm going for BfF, unless somebody objects very soon.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

No objection from me - I just thought it interesting that OL had chosen something. I like the idea of having a massive funding drive like they do - though their service offerings etc provided as incentive must complicate the hell out of things...

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 18/11/2012 10:07, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> No objection from me - I just thought it interesting that OL had chosen something. I
> like the idea of having a massive funding drive like they do - though their service
> offerings etc provided as incentive must complicate the hell out of things...

Yes, it looks more like a million dollar campaign. I think we aim at the 10k range,
at least for a first test of the response.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 18/11/2012 07:22, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

> - list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:
>
>   * SIP Bindings revision
>   * Symbology overhaul
>   * Labelling overhaul
>   * New web site and docs
>   * SEXTANTE integration
>   * Interface cleanup and consistency
>   * Plugins migration
>
> Missing anything?
>
> - see if there is any of these who is likely to cause a serious delay (too much work,
> few resources)
>
> - get an estimate to fix it
>
> - if we can't get enough money from the campaign to cover all the needs, decide how
> to best allocate our sponsors and donors resources.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to elicit much interest. I think we risk delaying
the 2.0 release if we do not deal with these issues effectively.
So, now:

- I have started our BfF account, we just have to add issues
- which of the blockers listed above should be added?
- for each, we need an estimate of the cost, and a person responsible for it.

Any taker?

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Alessandro Pasotti-2
2012/11/22 Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>
Il 18/11/2012 07:22, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

> - list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:
>
>   * SIP Bindings revision
>   * Symbology overhaul
>   * Labelling overhaul
>   * New web site and docs
>   * SEXTANTE integration
>   * Interface cleanup and consistency
>   * Plugins migration
>
> Missing anything?
>
> - see if there is any of these who is likely to cause a serious delay (too much work,
> few resources)
>
> - get an estimate to fix it
>
> - if we can't get enough money from the campaign to cover all the needs, decide how
> to best allocate our sponsors and donors resources.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to elicit much interest. I think we risk delaying
the 2.0 release if we do not deal with these issues effectively.
So, now:

- I have started our BfF account, we just have to add issues
- which of the blockers listed above should be added?
- for each, we need an estimate of the cost, and a person responsible for it.

Any taker?

Is there any URL for this?

I would like to work on the website part, this would definitely help to have the same look & feel in the plugins app.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 22/11/2012 08:58, Alessandro Pasotti ha scritto:

> Is there any URL for this?

no URL, I think we can do all in BfF, to avoid duplications.
I'll add tasks there as soon as I have the confirmation and estimate.

> I would like to work on the website part, this would definitely help to have the same
> look & feel in the plugins app.

Thanks. This task should include also the migration of the content of current site to
the new structure, etc.
Help in writing the specs for each task is more than welcome.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Larry_S
Hi Paolo,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il 18/11/2012 07:22, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
>
>> - list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:
>>
>>   * SIP Bindings revision
>>   * Symbology overhaul
>>   * Labelling overhaul

I can help with labeling, since I am already working on it. An
'overhaul' is a bit vague, but I assume you mean (at least) better
performance from the new engine. I can put together a concise listing
of what's needed to get current labeling changes/performance to a good
release-ready stage.

>>   * New web site and docs
>>   * SEXTANTE integration
>>   * Interface cleanup and consistency

I can help with the initial assessment and organization of what needs
cleaned up and made consistent (as I started here [0]). However, not
sure how much coding I can do, as I would prefer to focus on labeling
for this release.

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/GUI_roadmap_for_version_20

>>   * Plugins migration
>>
>> Missing anything?

There was talk a while ago about funds for crowd-sourcing the design
of a new QGIS logo. While not a fix per se, maybe the process should
be started ASAP? Would be good to have a new logo for 2.0 release.

Similarly, it would be good to have only one icon set (Robert's GIS
theme?). If so, there will need to be some work done on achieving
that. A more complete/consistent icon look across the entire app would
be a nice addition to a major release like 2.0.

Regards,

Larry

>> - see if there is any of these who is likely to cause a serious delay (too much work,
>> few resources)
>>
>> - get an estimate to fix it
>>
>> - if we can't get enough money from the campaign to cover all the needs, decide how
>> to best allocate our sponsors and donors resources.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not seem to elicit much interest. I think we risk delaying
> the 2.0 release if we do not deal with these issues effectively.
> So, now:
>
> - I have started our BfF account, we just have to add issues
> - which of the blockers listed above should be added?
> - for each, we need an estimate of the cost, and a person responsible for it.
>
> Any taker?
>
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
> www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Alexander Bruy
If I'm not wrong, Tim created poll few month ago and most answers
were about promoting gis theme as default one

Ah, found it [0]

[0] http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=4ffb5dfae4b08ad9dfac3f70

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 03:10:20 -0700
Larry Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Similarly, it would be good to have only one icon set (Robert's GIS
> theme?). If so, there will need to be some work done on achieving
> that. A more complete/consistent icon look across the entire app would
> be a nice addition to a major release like 2.0.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: Budget allocation

macho
Hi!
I'm also in favour of using the new GIS Theme!
Having Roberts Icons spread for the same functions across open source
GIS programs would help users to easily recognise functions again.

But to be honest I am not sure about letting the option to choose
another theme ..
Personaly I like the idea of having more options. But thats just my own
opinion.

kind regards
Werner

On 11/22/2012 11:20 AM, Alexander Bruy wrote:

> If I'm not wrong, Tim created poll few month ago and most answers
> were about promoting gis theme as default one
>
> Ah, found it [0]
>
> [0] http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=4ffb5dfae4b08ad9dfac3f70
>
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 03:10:20 -0700
> Larry Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Similarly, it would be good to have only one icon set (Robert's GIS
>> theme?). If so, there will need to be some work done on achieving
>> that. A more complete/consistent icon look across the entire app would
>> be a nice addition to a major release like 2.0.

Re: Budget allocation

Régis Haubourg
I would like to keep old style in options, even if Robert's theme is now the default one.
Régis

Re: Budget allocation

pcav
Il 22/11/2012 08:03, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

>>   * SIP Bindings revision
>>   * Symbology overhaul
>>   * Labelling overhaul
>>   * New web site and docs
>>   * SEXTANTE integration
>>   * Interface cleanup and consistency
>>   * Plugins migration

Hi all.
I'm ready to start the BidforFix. If anyone is interested in fixing one of the
issues, please provide me:
- a short description of the task (a few lines)
- an URL with more detailed explanation of the job to be done, and the expected
results for the project
- a target in $ (actually in € it would be more appropriate, since most of our donors
are European, but apparently this is a limitation of BfF).
If nobody replies, this initiative will be stopped.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Budget allocation

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Paolo,

On Fri, 23. Nov 2012 at 11:32:35 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> >>   * SIP Bindings revision

What's this about?   Isn't that done already?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden

12