Mailing List Migration

Frank Warmerdam
Folks,

Howard, Perry and I have migrated the MapServer mailing lists from
lists.umn.edu to lists.osgeo.org this afternoon.   Because we were moving
from one sort of list management software to another the transfer was not
perfect.  In particular, user subscription options like requesting digests
or no mail at all will have been lost.  As well, new passwords will presumably
have been generated for each subscriber.

You can visit the mailing lists at:

You can enter your email address near the bottom next to the "Unsubscribe
or edit options" button to alter your settings.

Please update your address book with the new list addresses.  Soon email to the
old list addresses will start bouncing.

The good news is that our archives will no longer be hidden behind a login
which means they should start turning up in Google.  Also we merged in the
older archives from before the move to lists.umn.edu.

If any serious problems are encountered, please contact me, but keep in mind
there are nearly 2500 addresses subscribed to mapserver-users alone, so I
don't want to receive 1000 "how do I change my options" questions!

Re: Mailing List Migration

tbonfort
hi Frank (and Perry)
thanks for taking this on

could you possibly have the reply-to field of messages posted to the
list contain the address of the list, and not the original poster.
more than once I've just hit the "reply" instead of "reply to all" and
had to reforward the message to the whole list (and not only the
original poster). I don't know how this would be configured, but I see
the osgeo-discuss is configured that way if you need to take a peek at
the configs.

cheers,
thomas

On Feb 8, 2008 9:50 PM, Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Howard, Perry and I have migrated the MapServer mailing lists from
> lists.umn.edu to lists.osgeo.org this afternoon.   Because we were moving
> from one sort of list management software to another the transfer was not
> perfect.  In particular, user subscription options like requesting digests
> or no mail at all will have been lost.  As well, new passwords will presumably
> have been generated for each subscriber.
>
> You can visit the mailing lists at:

> You can enter your email address near the bottom next to the "Unsubscribe
> or edit options" button to alter your settings.
>
> Please update your address book with the new list addresses.  Soon email to the
> old list addresses will start bouncing.
>
>    [hidden email]
>    [hidden email]
>
> The good news is that our archives will no longer be hidden behind a login
> which means they should start turning up in Google.  Also we merged in the
> older archives from before the move to lists.umn.edu.
>
> If any serious problems are encountered, please contact me, but keep in mind
> there are nearly 2500 addresses subscribed to mapserver-users alone, so I
> don't want to receive 1000 "how do I change my options" questions!
>
> Best regards,

Re: Mailing List Migration

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 02:45:26PM +0100, thomas bonfort wrote:

> hi Frank (and Perry)
> thanks for taking this on
>
> could you possibly have the reply-to field of messages posted to the
> list contain the address of the list, and not the original poster.
> more than once I've just hit the "reply" instead of "reply to all" and
> had to reforward the message to the whole list (and not only the
> original poster). I don't know how this would be configured, but I see
> the osgeo-discuss is configured that way if you need to take a peek at
> the configs.

There is a wide disagreement about the 'best' setting for this option.
However, at the ery least, it seems clear that *changing* this setting
on a mailing list that has existed for a long time is a mistake: whether
users should be trained one way or the other, by the time they *are*
trained, changing it is the wrong way to go, because users already
expect certain behavior which they compensate for.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: Mailing List Migration

tbonfort
Well that would depend if "a long time" starts from yesterday or from
the beginning of the umn lists ;)
do any others have hard feelings on this change, and/or couldn't the
list migration be a good opportunity to change this setting to
something that *seems* to me to be more coherent with the concept of a
mailing list?

cheers,
thomas

On Feb 9, 2008 2:55 PM, Christopher Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 02:45:26PM +0100, thomas bonfort wrote:
> > hi Frank (and Perry)
> > thanks for taking this on
> >
> > could you possibly have the reply-to field of messages posted to the
> > list contain the address of the list, and not the original poster.
> > more than once I've just hit the "reply" instead of "reply to all" and
> > had to reforward the message to the whole list (and not only the
> > original poster). I don't know how this would be configured, but I see
> > the osgeo-discuss is configured that way if you need to take a peek at
> > the configs.
>
> There is a wide disagreement about the 'best' setting for this option.
> However, at the ery least, it seems clear that *changing* this setting
> on a mailing list that has existed for a long time is a mistake: whether
> users should be trained one way or the other, by the time they *are*
> trained, changing it is the wrong way to go, because users already
> expect certain behavior which they compensate for.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Re: Mailing List Migration

Daniel Morissette
thomas bonfort wrote:
> Well that would depend if "a long time" starts from yesterday or from
> the beginning of the umn lists ;)

Unless I missed something, the mapserver-users and mapserver-dev lists
have always been as they are today: I've always had to explicitly use
the [Reply-All] function of my mail client to reply to the lists and my
vote goes to keeping it this way.

> do any others have hard feelings on this change, and/or couldn't the
> list migration be a good opportunity to change this setting to
> something that *seems* to me to be more coherent with the concept of a
> mailing list?

As Chris wrote already, you'll never be able to get everybody to agree
on the best behavior... this same discussion comes back every once in a
while. My main reason for being against forcing the reply-to is
documented as "Principle of Least Damage" in the following document:

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/