MailChimp Mailing List Merging

Alex Leith
Hi All

We have two large lists of people on in MailChimp.

The first is the general list, where people have signed up and this has 200 subscribers and the second is the conference attendees list, which has 300 subscribers.

We have two options to merge these lists:
  1. Merge the two lists, then send an email to the new list offering people the opportunity to opt out
  2. Don't merge the lists, but send an email to the conference attendees list offering the opportunity to opt in to the main list.
My view is that we should merge the lists, and allow people to opt out, as this will leave us with a larger contact list, most likely. So my vote is for option 1.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Kind regards,

--
Alex Leith
m: 0419189050

Re: MailChimp Mailing List Merging

adam steer-2
I vote for option 2.

Why?

- option 1 feels a lot like potential spam - we didn’t ask for consent to put attendees on an ongoing comms e-mail list. The opt-out makes it legally OK (as far as I can tell, see link below), but not really up to scratch on my personal ethics-o-meter.
- preferring smaller lists of people who actively opt in to larger lists of potential zombie addresses.

Cheers

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 13:15, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Bryant
It seems reasonable to me to suppose that 2018 conf attendees would likely be interested in hearing about the 2019 conference. If I consider how I would feel about being included on the 2019 mailing list for a conf I attended in 2018, it wouldn't bother me and I don't feel that it crosses any ethical lines that I can think of.

With a clear unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email we send out, anyone who doesn't want ongoing communications has a very easy option to get off the list.

So, option 1 seems OK to me.

Re: MailChimp Mailing List Merging

Cameron Shorter

+0 for option 1, same reasons as John.

On 26/3/19 2:31 pm, John Bryant wrote:
It seems reasonable to me to suppose that 2018 conf attendees would likely be interested in hearing about the 2019 conference. If I consider how I would feel about being included on the 2019 mailing list for a conf I attended in 2018, it wouldn't bother me and I don't feel that it crosses any ethical lines that I can think of.

With a clear unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email we send out, anyone who doesn't want ongoing communications has a very easy option to get off the list.

So, option 1 seems OK to me.

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: MailChimp Mailing List Merging

Daniel Silk
I vote for option 2 on this.

I don't like it when I buy a ticket for other events and then end up on an events marketing mailing list if I wasn't given the option to opt-out.
I provided my email address to receive tickets or information for 1 event.

Re: MailChimp Mailing List Merging

Trisha Moriarty
+1 Option 2
because of both, my personnel preference and  my background in gov, where the practice is to only use peoples emails addresses for the purpose for which it was collected,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:17 PM Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote for option 2 on this.

I don't like it when I buy a ticket for other events and then end up on an events marketing mailing list if I wasn't given the option to opt-out.
I provided my email address to receive tickets or information for 1 event.

Re: MailChimp Mailing List Merging

Philip Mallis

+1 for Option 2. I don’t think we should assume anything when it comes to these sorts of mailing lists.