MVT: Problems with missing pbf files

Christian Mayer-2

Hi OL-Devs,

I have a setup with a VectorTile layer based on Mapbox Vector Tiles (created with GeoServer / Geowebcache). To save time at transferring the pbf-files to the target environment all empty pbf-files were deleted. This results in HTTP 404s (of course) when OpenLayers tries to load the missing tiles.
I expected that this won't bring any problems and that OL is just ignoring them. But unfortunately a JS-exception occurs if in the current map-exent is one of the missing tiles.
It seems that the "tileProjection" is undefined for the given "sourceTile", so the operation tileProjection.getUnits() fails, see here [1]. So it seems that the missing tile is not ignored in the code and due to the lack of information the rendering process fails.
If I add an emtpy pbf-file, so no HTTP 404 occurs anymore, the exception is gone. Even though no more information is provided (from my humble point of view).

So here are some questions: Can someone confirm this behavior? Is this wanted behavior for some reasons? Or is this even a bug or an edge case?

I am using OpenLayers v4.3.4.

Thanks in advance for any hint / help / clarification.

Cheers
Chris

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/v4.3.4/src/ol/renderer/canvas/vectortilelayer.js#L139

Re: MVT: Problems with missing pbf files

Andreas Hocevar
Hey Chris,

this sounds like a bug. Can you please create a ticket and provide a
codepen that shows the issue?

Thanks,
Andreas.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Christian Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi OL-Devs,
>
> I have a setup with a VectorTile layer based on Mapbox Vector Tiles (created
> with GeoServer / Geowebcache). To save time at transferring the pbf-files to
> the target environment all empty pbf-files were deleted. This results in
> HTTP 404s (of course) when OpenLayers tries to load the missing tiles.
> I expected that this won't bring any problems and that OL is just ignoring
> them. But unfortunately a JS-exception occurs if in the current map-exent is
> one of the missing tiles.
> It seems that the "tileProjection" is undefined for the given "sourceTile",
> so the operation tileProjection.getUnits() fails, see here [1]. So it seems
> that the missing tile is not ignored in the code and due to the lack of
> information the rendering process fails.
> If I add an emtpy pbf-file, so no HTTP 404 occurs anymore, the exception is
> gone. Even though no more information is provided (from my humble point of
> view).
>
> So here are some questions: Can someone confirm this behavior? Is this
> wanted behavior for some reasons? Or is this even a bug or an edge case?
>
> I am using OpenLayers v4.3.4.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint / help / clarification.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/v4.3.4/src/ol/renderer/canvas/vectortilelayer.js#L139

Re: MVT: Problems with missing pbf files

Christian Mayer-2

Hi Andreas,

I wrote a little example app [1] to show the error. It seems that the error is gone in OpenLayers v4.4.2. If you want to see how it behaved before have a look at my example, which uses OL v 4.3.4.

Cheers
Chris

[1] https://apps.meggsimum.de/ol-vt-issue/