MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello everyone,

Many Windows users will be very interested that MS4W-4.0.0-beta1 is
available now, which will be a huge release of changes, as every library
(over 200 now) has been upgraded and built with a new compiler (Visual
Studio 2017), and contains many great additions overall.  You can test
the beta at:

  - installer:
https://ms4w.com/release/experimental/ms4w-4.0.0-beta1-setup.exe
(recommended)
  - archive: https://ms4w.com/release/experimental/ms4w_4.0.0_beta1.zip

Please see MS4W's HISTORY.txt for all of the changes, but here are some
of the highlights:

  - Mapbox Vector Tile output through MapServer (demo included)
  - PHP7 mapscript support (using the SWIG API)
  - usual mapscripts available (Java, Python, CSharp)
  - embedded Python 3.7.0
  - running pycsw Catalogue Server
  - expanded ZOO-Project WPS support (all GDAL/OGR services, Python,
PHP, CSharp, Java)
  - new Matomo Analytics package
  - simple map viewer on the localhost page
  - GDAL 2.4.0
  - MapServer 7.4.0-dev
  - mod_wsgi for Apache
  - and many more...

You can see that MS4W-4.0.0 will be a full SDI for Windows environments,
with ~40+ working mapfiles and over 1.7GB of files, empowering DevOps
and organizations worldwide.  Also note that this is a major release for
MS4W, meaning that some things have changed dramatically (PHPmapscript
will now use the SWIG API for example), so please follow MS4W's README
for specific instructions for the many plugins and mapscripts.

When installing, it is very important that (if you are using the .zip)
your server must have the C++ Redistributable installed on it
beforehand: execute the local file /ms4w/tmp/vcredist_x86.exe
(alternatively if you use MS4W's setup.exe installer this is done
automatically)

Please provide your 4.0.0 testing feedback through the MS4W tracker (so
the feedback is not lost or forgotten): http://www.ms4w.com/trac/

Thank you all for sharing your spatial information with MS4W.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

jmckenna
Administrator
I forgot to highlight one of the most important parts: MS4W-4.0.0
contains PHP 7.2.14 and the performance improvements are very
noticeable.  -jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

Stefanos Anastasiou
Hello Jeff,
    does php mapsrcipt now belong to SWIG family ? Regarding Linux distribution what changes does this bring in the installation process ?

Thank you

-Stefanos

Στις Τρίτη, 5 Φεβρουαρίου 2019, 2:59:24 π.μ. EET, ο χρήστης Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Stefanos,

MS4W 4, and moving forward, will leverage the SWIG API for PHPmapscript
use.  Believe it or not, there was an alpha release of MS4W way back in
2016 with that SWIG support for PHP7mapscript (and some have used that
alpha in deployment since).  The purpose of the 4.0.0 beta process is to
give all MS4W users, devs, organizations, projects, lots of time to get
their hands on it, trying, testing, giving feedback, and modifying their
code for this PHPmapscript change.  I've also informed several other
software communities directly of this (GeoMoose, Mapbender, p.mapper,
ZOO-Project, etc).

It is a dramatic change, but the timing is right as MS4W 4.0 will give
the reason to adapt to the SWIG API, for PHP users.  This change for
MS4W was made for the long-term maintenance of PHPmapscript in MS4W (to
avoid such a show-stopping PHP version, like a PHP8, coming along and
affecting MS4W deployments again).

In terms of your question for PHPmapscript support in other environments
other than MS4W, many have been leveraging this code:
https://github.com/bjoernboldt/mapscript-php7 which has been imported
into MapServer 7.4dev source also.  So you should be fine for Linux as
well (but it may take time for all packaged distributions to catch up to
all of these changes).

I hope I helped answer your questions.

Thanks for your interest in MS4W.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: MS4W version 4.0.0-beta1 available

James Klassen-2
BTW: I tested GeoMoose 3.2.1 and 3.3.0 on MS4W 4.0.0-beta1 and it looks good.

On 2/8/19 9:02 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> [...]
>>  > MS4W, meaning that some things have changed dramatically (PHPmapscript
>>  > will now use the SWIG API for example), so please follow MS4W's README
>>  > for specific instructions for the many plugins and mapscripts.
>>  >
>>  > When installing, it is very important that (if you are using the .zip)
>>  > your server must have the C++ Redistributable installed on it
>>  > beforehand: execute the local file /ms4w/tmp/vcredist_x86.exe
>>  > (alternatively if you use MS4W's setup.exe installer this is done
>>  > automatically)
>>  >
>>  > Please provide your 4.0.0 testing feedback through the MS4W tracker (so
>>  > the feedback is not lost or forgotten): http://www.ms4w.com/trac/
>>  >
>>  > Thank you all for sharing your spatial information with MS4W.

Hi Jeff,
thank you for your reply and the link. So regarding Linux there is no official SWIG integration for php mapscript yet,right? Only attempts and tests

Thank you for your reply

-Stefanos

Στις Παρασκευή, 8 Φεβρουαρίου 2019, 5:02:41 μ.μ. EET, ο χρήστης Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> έγραψε: