[MS4W-Users] run multiple versions?

Smith, Michael-2
We recently upgraded our MS4W to v 3.0.1 from a previous version.  It works great now, WMS renders faster than ever.

However we also have recently taken on a GeoMoose application we really like which unfortunately renders an error message at 3.0.1 and 3.0.2.

The group developing the app will eventually fix this, and I'd prefer to stay within their distro and not try to fix the error and thus branch off.

So for a temporary situation, is it possible for me to run two MS4W versions on one box (assuming the older version would run through the newer version's Apache)?

Any tips on how to configure it?

Again this would be a short-term fix until the application issue is addressed.

*****************
Michael Smith
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS, Maine OIT
Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Board Member, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council

icons MEGISGeoLibraryMEGUGNSGIC

State House Station 174
264 Civic Center Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0174
(207) 215-5530

69 o 47' 49.5"W   44 o 20' 54.5"N

Re: [MS4W-Users] run multiple versions?

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello Michael,

Wow I like hearing that positive feedback about the speed!  Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand your issue yet though, but I'll give my quick thoughts on your email:

- yes multiple versions of MS4W can be installed on the same machine
- the simplest way to install multiple versions is to use the installer, which will magically change the name of the Apache service so you can run each MS4W separately, for example:

  step1 - install: http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w-3.0.2-setup.exe
          - leave the port as 80
          - the Apache service will be named "Apache MS4W Web Server: port 80" by the installer

  step2 - install: http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w-3.0.1-setup.exe
          - choose a different install location (anywhere)
          - specify a different Apache port, such as 8080
          - the Apache service will be named "Apache MS4W Web Server: port 8080" by the installer

I do that for my testing and it works great, allowing me to have many MS4W installations on the same machine.

Hopefully my thoughts help a little.  And again, thanks for the positive feedback.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Smith, Michael-2 wrote
We recently upgraded our MS4W to v 3.0.1 from a previous version.  It
works great now, WMS renders faster than ever.

However we also have recently taken on a GeoMoose application we really
like which unfortunately renders an error message at 3.0.1 and 3.0.2.

The group developing the app will eventually fix this, and I'd prefer to
stay within their distro and not try to fix the error and thus branch
off.

So for a temporary situation, is it possible for me to run two MS4W
versions on one box (assuming the older version would run through the
newer version's Apache)?

Any tips on how to configure it?

Again this would be a short-term fix until the application issue is
addressed.

Re: run multiple versions?

rgreenwood
Michael,

I don't know if this would address your problem or not, but another
possible solution if you are only using MapServ CGI and want to run
HTTPD on the same port with the same Apache & PHP instances is to copy
the old cgi-bin into a new location (eg mapserv-5.4) and add an entry
to a httpd_*.conf file something like:

ScriptAlias /mapserv-5.4/ "/ms4w/Apache/mapserv-5.4/"
<Location "/mapserv-5.4">
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Location>

And then point your applications at the appropriate directory, either
cgi-bin or mapserv-5.4.

This will probably not work if your applications rely on php
mapscript. But it does allow you to use multiple MapServer CGI
versions thru the same port and Apache instance.

Rich

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> Wow I like hearing that positive feedback about the speed!  Thanks!
>
> I'm not sure I understand your issue yet though, but I'll give my quick
> thoughts on your email:
>
> - yes multiple versions of MS4W can be installed on the same machine
> - the simplest way to install multiple versions is to use the installer,
> which will magically change the name of the Apache service so you can run
> each MS4W separately, for example:
>
>  step1 - install: http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w-3.0.2-setup.exe
>          - leave the port as 80
>          - the Apache service will be named "Apache MS4W Web Server: port
> 80" by the installer
>
>  step2 - install: http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w-3.0.1-setup.exe
>          - choose a different install location (anywhere)
>          - specify a different Apache port, such as 8080
>          - the Apache service will be named "Apache MS4W Web Server: port
> 8080" by the installer
>
> I do that for my testing and it works great, allowing me to have many MS4W
> installations on the same machine.
>
> Hopefully my thoughts help a little.  And again, thanks for the positive
> feedback.
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/
>

> Smith, Michael-2 wrote:
>>
>> We recently upgraded our MS4W to v 3.0.1 from a previous version.  It
>> works great now, WMS renders faster than ever.
>>
>> However we also have recently taken on a GeoMoose application we really
>> like which unfortunately renders an error message at 3.0.1 and 3.0.2.
>>
>> The group developing the app will eventually fix this, and I'd prefer to
>> stay within their distro and not try to fix the error and thus branch
>> off.
>>
>> So for a temporary situation, is it possible for me to run two MS4W
>> versions on one box (assuming the older version would run through the
>> newer version's Apache)?
>>
>> Any tips on how to configure it?
>>
>> Again this would be a short-term fix until the application issue is
>> addressed.

Richard Greenwood
[hidden email]
www.greenwoodmap.com