[MS4W-Users] php-cgi.exe*32 - eating up memory - Please advise!

[MS4W-Users] php-cgi.exe*32 - eating up memory - Please advise!

mirhashmi
Hello

I have an on-going problem with running ms4w on our server.

php-cig.exe*32 (description - CGI/FastCGI)
- very high memory consumption
- by time it accumulates more than 30 or 50 processes.
- mapserver stops responding

MS4W - Version 3.0.2
 - Apache 2.2.17
 - PHP 5.3.6
 - Mapserver CGI 5.6.6

Server details
 - 64bit Windows Server Enterprise (Service Pack 2)
 - 2.40Ghz 2 Processors with 8gb RAM

Also I am running the same version of MS4W on another two servers
without any problem.
One is having a 32-bit Windows 2003 Standard OS & the other one with
64-bit Windows 2008 Standard OS.

Please advise.

Best regards
Mir Hashmi

Re: php-cgi.exe*32 - eating up memory - Please advise!

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello,

I haven't come across php-cgi.exe memory consumption problems myself.
You might upgrade to MS4W 3.0.4 (with PHP 5.3.10) and test whether your
memory issues exist still (maybe that later PHP version fixed your
issue? not sure) If this server is using IIS, I know there is a config
switch for IIS so that 32-bit CGI modules can run on your 64-bit server.

I generally do not recommend running a 32-bit exe on a 64-bit machine,
however.  I have done custom MS4W builds in the past with x64 PHP and
MapScript, you can contact me directly regarding that.

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/