[MS4W-Users] Server hardware considerations?

[MS4W-Users] Server hardware considerations?

Sacha Black
What would be hardware considerations for a good all around web map
server based on MS4W? Nabble search seemed to be down, so I couldn't
look for earlier summaries of this type of question.

"all around" = home to:

- Mapserver with long list of WMS services (100+)
- a few raster tile caches (~30 GB)
- mySQL db
- PostGIS db w/ osm data for 3-5 US states
- gis data store in the range of 500-750GB

Whole thing probably gets about 4-5000 unique visitors a month, so
it's probably considered low traffic. It is also stand-alone, does
everything on it's own: rendering, tile-slinging, etc.

My main questions are about disk type/space configurations and
processors. I would tend to spend my money more on the former than the
latter, and then max out RAM, but don't know if this is the right
approach. No idea about number of processors or cores or how that is
important.

Re: Server hardware considerations?

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Sacha,

I too am a big Nabble user (I love the "MapServer Forum" page, one
search box for all MapServer and MS4W lists) - it seems Nabble has
changed the host for the OSGeo/MapServer forum, and Google doesn't know
yet :)  But here is the correct link, be sure to bookmark! :)

http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/MapServer-f4226623.html

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 12-02-01 4:45 PM, Sacha Black wrote:

> What would be hardware considerations for a good all around web map
> server based on MS4W? Nabble search seemed to be down, so I couldn't
> look for earlier summaries of this type of question.
>
> "all around" = home to:
>
> - Mapserver with long list of WMS services (100+)
> - a few raster tile caches (~30 GB)
> - mySQL db
> - PostGIS db w/ osm data for 3-5 US states
> - gis data store in the range of 500-750GB
>
> Whole thing probably gets about 4-5000 unique visitors a month, so
> it's probably considered low traffic. It is also stand-alone, does
> everything on it's own: rendering, tile-slinging, etc.
>
> My main questions are about disk type/space configurations and
> processors. I would tend to spend my money more on the former than the
> latter, and then max out RAM, but don't know if this is the right
> approach. No idea about number of processors or cores or how that is
> important.

Re: Server hardware considerations?

Sacha Black
Thanks Jeff - very helpful!

Looks like most of the useful previous answers were on the Mapserver
list, so I'll probably find enough there to get me going...