[MS4W-Users] OS support

Steve.Toutant

Hi
Does MS4W is supported on Windows server 2008 r2 64bits?
Thanks!!
Steve

Re: OS support

jmckenna
Administrator
On 11-05-18 10:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi
> Does MS4W is supported on Windows server 2008 r2 64bits?
> Thanks!!
> Steve

Hello Steve,

The public version of MS4W is only supported for 32bit.  I have done
custom builds for clients running 64bit over the years, and you can
contact me directly if you need more information on this.

Another option that I have done for clients in the past is to configure
their 2003 Server to allow running as 32bit
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/13f991a5-45eb-496c-8618-2179c3753bb0.mspx?mfr=true).

Hopefully one of these options helps you as you travel down this path.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: OS support

Daniel Morissette
On 11-05-18 12:25 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Another option that I have done for clients in the past is to configure
> their 2003 Server to allow running as 32bit
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/13f991a5-45eb-496c-8618-2179c3753bb0.mspx?mfr=true).

This is a question that comes up often. I see that this link is for IIS.
What if one wants to run MS4W (32 bit version) on a 64 bit system with
Apache? Is this possible?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: OS support

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Daniel,

We have many folks in the Corps that do this, run MS4W in 32bit mode under
64bit Apache. We have not had any issues with it.

Mike

Michael Smith
US Army Corps of Engineers
Remote Sensing/GIS Center

On 11-05-19 11:29 AM, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> We have many folks in the Corps that do this, run MS4W in 32bit mode under
> 64bit Apache. We have not had any issues with it.

Thank you Mike.

Did you really mean "under 64bit Apache" or instead "under 64bit Windows"?

i.e. What are the exact steps for this setup to work? Does MS4W 32 bit
including its bundled version of Apache work out of the box in 32bit
mode under 64bit Windows, or does one need to replace the Apache in MS4W
with a 64 bit version for this to work?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: OS support

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
We are using 64 bit Apache (not the apache from MS4W). Our Apache is part of
the Oracle App Server.

---------
Michael Smith
Remote Sensing GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On 11-05-19 11:29 AM, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> We have many folks in the Corps that do this, run MS4W in 32bit mode under
> 64bit Apache. We have not had any issues with it.

Thank you Mike.

Did you really mean "under 64bit Apache" or instead "under 64bit Windows"?

i.e. What are the exact steps for this setup to work? Does MS4W 32 bit
including its bundled version of Apache work out of the box in 32bit
mode under 64bit Windows, or does one need to replace the Apache in MS4W
with a 64 bit version for this to work?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

tr

Re: OS support

tr

There could be an issue using MDB2 (and/or postgreSQL MDB2 drivers
and/or postgreSQL drivers) with MS4W 3.0 32 bits (Apache, PHP,
Mapserver, ... no IIS or something like that) on Windows 7 64 bits. We
didn't find time to investigate more so the bug was not reported.

Configuration:
- MDB2 version 2.5.0b3 installed via PEAR
- postgreSQL 8.4 or postgreSQL 9 both 32 bits
- Windows 7 64 bits
- MS4W 3.0 and MS4W 2.x

The problem is requests are very long with the "tableInfo" method of
MDB2 whereas the same install on the same computer with MS4W 2.x works
and both PG 8.4 or 9 32.

By the way MapServer seems to works correctly with all those the
combinations.

Thomas