MS4W GDAL/OGR

Pearson, Gregory

Has anyone had issues with using ogrinfo.exe? I get the following error message:

I found the file in the cgi-bin folder and copied it to the local gdal-ogr folder, but then received another error on a different *dll. So, I copied all the dlls to the local directory and then it worked. What’s the right way to have it reference the files in the cgi-bin directory?

Greg

Re: MS4W GDAL/OGR

Milo van der Linden-3
Hello Greg,

I am running Mapserver as a IIS cgi-bin component. Installed it in C:\Mapserver and then set the environment variables as follows.

Path %PATH%;
C:\MapServer\cgi-bin;
C:\MapServer\tools\gdal-ogr;
C:\MapServer\tools\mapserv;
C:\MapServer\tools\shapelib;
C:\MapServer\proj\bin;
C:\MapServer\tools\shp2tile;
C:\MapServer\tools\shpdiff;
C:\MapServer\tools\avce00;

GDAL_DATA        C:\Mapserver\gdaldata
GDAL_DRIVER_PATH    C:\Mapserver\gdalplugins
PROJ_LIB        C:\MapServer\proj\nad

Also make sure that the user under whom you use the tools has read access rights on ALL the directories required by the different mapserver dll's

Pearson, Gregory schreef:

Has anyone had issues with using ogrinfo.exe? I get the following error message:

I found the file in the cgi-bin folder and copied it to the local gdal-ogr folder, but then received another error on a different *dll. So, I copied all the dlls to the local directory and then it worked. What’s the right way to have it reference the files in the cgi-bin directory?

Greg

Re: MS4W GDAL/OGR

Pearson, Gregory

Ok, I must have missed that in the documentation. I just extracted the files to the root directory and almost everything worked out the “box” in Apache. And since IIS has port 80, I use port 81. That’s all it takes to run under IIS? Have you had any problems?

Thanks, Greg

Re: MS4W GDAL/OGR

Jeff McKenna-2
To run any MS4W utilities you must execute /ms4w/setenv.bat first (yes
that is in the docs).  You do not need to move files.

(note that MS4W has its own email list: join at
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/ms4w-users)

-jeff

Pearson, Gregory wrote:

> Has anyone had issues with using ogrinfo.exe? I get the following error
> message:
>

> I found the file in the cgi-bin folder and copied it to the local
> gdal-ogr folder, but then received another error on a different *dll.
> So, I copied all the dlls to the local directory and then it worked.
> What’s the right way to have it reference the files in the cgi-bin
> directory?

Re: MS4W GDAL/OGR

Milo van der Linden-3
Hello Greg,

I have had tons of minor trouble, all related to the stupid way IIS configuration is organized.. But now I have a simple instruction on how to run it smoothly.

It takes a little more work to get mapserver running as cgi directly in IIS, but it has the advantage that you don't need to install and run Apache besides IIS:

1) Create a virtual directory in IIS pointing to the mapserv\cgi-bin directory and give it an alias; for instance cgi-bin.
2) Set the execute permissions on the virtual directory to Scripts and Executables
3) Accept the virtual directory
4) Go to Web Service Extensions in the IIS service manager
5) Select Add a new web service extension. On the required files tab, add C:\YourMapserverInstalldir\mapserv.exe
6) Set it to allow
7) Through the security tab of the mapserver install directory, give IIS_WPG ( a standard system usergroup) read/write and execute permission on ALL the underlying sub-directories
8) Restart the "World Wide Web publishing service" in the services section of the administrative tools
9) Test mapserv by running <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http:\\yourserver\yourmapservaliasdir\mapserv.exe">http:\\yourserver\yourmapservaliasdir\mapserv.exe
If you get the message "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty." Mapserver under IIS is ready to go!

Pearson, Gregory schreef:

Ok, I must have missed that in the documentation. I just extracted the files to the root directory and almost everything worked out the “box” in Apache. And since IIS has port 80, I use port 81. That’s all it takes to run under IIS? Have you had any problems?

Thanks, Greg

Re: MS4W GDAL/OGR

Milo van der Linden-3
I know. If you browse down you will see.

But I don't like putting things in the windows directory, so I prefer to
add the environment variables and make them point to the install
directory. Please note that the other system variables are also
necessary if you want to support projection support and GDAL.