MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

Keith Moss
Hi,

We've just started to have a play with the new MapCache module in MS4W v3.0.4 and it's crashing. MapServer and all of the other parts of MS4W are fine though. This was a fresh install of MS4W, not an upgrade.

The eventlog has the following application error:

Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.21.0, time stamp 0x4e6a3015, faulting module mod_mapcache.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f396f6e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00003044, process id 0xd34, application start time 0x01cd08c9e7bfedfa.

This occurs upon trying to access http://localhost/mapcache/demo/.

We're trying to run it on Windows Server 2008 32-bit SP2.

The only difference in our config is that we're running it off of e:\ms4w, not c:\ms4w.

Let us know if there's any more information you need.

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

Keith Moss
Oh, and in our Apache error log we get this set of notices each time MapCache crashes.

Fri Mar 23 15:52:28 2012] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting.
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:33 2012] [notice] Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8r mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod-mapcache/0.5-dev configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:33 2012] [notice] Server built: Sep  9 2011 10:26:10
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:33 2012] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3380
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:35 2012] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:36 2012] [notice] Child 3380: Child process is running
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:37 2012] [notice] Child 3380: Acquired the start mutex.
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:37 2012] [notice] Child 3380: Starting 150 worker threads.
[Fri Mar 23 15:52:37 2012] [notice] Child 3380: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello Keith,

My thoughts are the following:

- I notice from your error log that you have configured Apache for
several other modules as well.  I recommend doing a fresh install on a
new machine, don't make any changes at all (to Apache or anything),
except by following the MapCache config steps at
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL_dev.html#g-mapcache-apache-module

- you can also verify that your Apache mapcache module is loaded through
the Command Prompt, by executing:

  - cd into /ms4w/Apache/bin
  - httpd -t -D DUMP_MODULES
  - a list of loaded modules should return (look for a "mapcache_module
(shared)"

- I have just now fired up an Amazon new instance (Windows Server 2008
32-bit) and tested those steps there.  No problems.  If you want you can
fire up one yourself (I notice that the cost for one hour in the Asia
Pacific region for a Win2008 Server instance is 10cents)

- if Apache in general is giving problems on start, your server might be
missing the "Visual C++ redistributable package"
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29

- there is always a chance that something configured in your local
mapcache.xml file is causing problems

- it is very difficult to debug your server through email.  The best
possible scenario is that you contact me directly and we discuss a
support package.

Thanks for using the MS4W product.  Hopefully these options help you.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 12-03-23 5:13 AM, Keith Moss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've just started to have a play with the new MapCache module in MS4W
> v3.0.4 and it's crashing. MapServer and all of the other parts of MS4W are
> fine though. This was a fresh install of MS4W, not an upgrade.
>
> The eventlog has the following application error:
>
> Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.21.0, time stamp 0x4e6a3015,
> faulting module mod_mapcache.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f396f6e,
> exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00003044, process id 0xd34,
> application start time 0x01cd08c9e7bfedfa.
>
> This occurs upon trying to access http://localhost/mapcache/demo/.
>
> We're trying to run it on Windows Server 2008 32-bit SP2.
>
> The only difference in our config is that we're running it off of e:\ms4w,
> not c:\ms4w.
>
> Let us know if there's any more information you need.

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

Keith Moss
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestions.

We tried a completely fresh install and it seems like the issue was just down to us having MS4W on the E drive, not C. We've double-checked with identical installs at e:\ms4w and c:\ms4w and the install on E always exhibits this problem. Could there be something in the compile process for MapCache that is assuming MS4W is at C:\ms4w?

Cheers,

Keith

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Keith,

My local tests are done on a "D" drive.

-jeff

--

On 12-03-26 12:51 AM, Keith Moss wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> We tried a completely fresh install and it seems like the issue was just
> down to us having MS4W on the E drive, not C. We've double-checked with
> identical installs at e:\ms4w and c:\ms4w and the install on E always
> exhibits this problem. Could there be something in the compile process for
> MapCache that is assuming MS4W is at C:\ms4w?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Keith

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

jmckenna
Administrator
The other point of note regarding "C:" versus other drives: as noted in
the install steps
(http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL_dev.html#g-mapcache-apache-module)
the MapCache module config is hardcoded by default to C:/, so you have
to follow the steps in that document to change those paths (in
httpd.conf and mapcache.xml).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 12-03-26 12:51 AM, Keith Moss wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> We tried a completely fresh install and it seems like the issue was just
> down to us having MS4W on the E drive, not C. We've double-checked with
> identical installs at e:\ms4w and c:\ms4w and the install on E always
> exhibits this problem. Could there be something in the compile process for
> MapCache that is assuming MS4W is at C:\ms4w?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Keith

Re: MS4W 3.0.4-dev MapCache Crash

Keith Moss
Hi Jeff,

We've gotten to the root cause of our problem :)

We had a lowercase 'e' for the drive name in the MapCacheAlias pointer where an uppercase E was required. This was true for the C drive, but we hadn't noticed we'd used an uppercase C there when it was working.

Is it worth a mention of this in the MS4W install doc in case someone else runs into the same issue?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Keith