MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Cameron Shorter

People on the Aust-NZ email list,

As suggested by Daniel below, I'm officially raising a motion that we retire the Aust-NZ wiki and email list and move functionality across to the OSGeo Oceania committee/wiki which is starting up (growing from the community behind our last FOSS4G Oceania conference).

If there are no objections within a week, by 22 Jan 2019, I propose that our prior Aust-NZ wiki page be redirected to the OSGeo Oceania wiki page.

+1 Cameron

Could all who are still listening on the Aust-NZ please vote.

Cheers, Cameron

On 14/1/19 10:27 am, Daniel Silk wrote:
Hi all

As a public landing page for our newly minted organisation, I've created https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania (complete with list of inaugural board members).

This extends the proliferation of local chapter pages on the OSGeo wiki from https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Australia to https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Aust-NZ (which could probably also be sort-of "archived" for historical purposes and point to Oceania - what do you think Cameron?).

Local chapters don't seem to have wiki pages in the OpenStreetMap wiki so I haven't done anything there.

Cheers
Daniel

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Tybion
+1

Regards,
DAVID COLLINS
Geologist & Developer

Trilobite Solutions

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:35 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

John Bryant
+1

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

adam steer-2
+1 from here, thanks Cameron

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 08:23, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Bruce Bannerman-3
-1 Bruce

Cameron,

This list is a FOSS4G Oceania conference list, not a general discussion list.

Keep them seperate, to avoid confusion in the future, particularly for future FOSS4G-Oceania conferences.

I’d prefer to see people either encouraged to subscribe to the AustNZ list, or to establish a new dedicated Oceania list for general discussion.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 15 Jan 2019, at 22:35, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bruce,

I like your suggestion of moving the Aust-NZ list to an [hidden email] list (or similar name). Assuming that is part of the moving mandate, could you please recast your vote.

Cheers, Cameron

On 19/1/19 7:32 am, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
[...]

On the understanding that we establish a new Oceania list for general discussions.

@John,

I suggest keeping ‘Board’ discussions on the general list, until it becomes apparent that it is desirable to create a new one.

As we are really just building / rebuilding the local community, it will be desirable to have open discussions that others can contribute to. There is a wealth of experience in our region that we can draw on.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 19 Jan 2019, at 07:36, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sounds great to me. So how does this work for the email list, do we shut it down and start a new one, or just re-name it?

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Bruce Bannerman-3
I suggest archiving the AustNZ list and wiki as has already been discussed, but keep them publically accessible. We will probably need to refer to them in the future.

We will then need to lodge a job with the OSGeo admins to create a new discussion list on the OSGeo List server.

However, I suggest waiting for the outcome of Cameron’s motion.

@Cameron,   I suggest setting a sunset time for your motion so that it can be brought to a close.

Cheers,

Bruce

On 21 Jan 2019, at 12:38, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

I suggest keeping ‘Board’ discussions on the general list, until it becomes apparent that it is desirable to create a new one.

Sounds great to me. So how does this work for the email list, do we shut it down and start a new one, or just re-name it?

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Cameron Shorter

Thanks Vicky for the suggestion.

I've raised a ticket to move the list here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2247#ticket and then realised that I should ask whether we want [hidden email] or [hidden email]

I'll raise another motion in a separate email thread, sent to [hidden email]

On 23/1/19 4:06 am, Vicky Vergara wrote:
Hi all
My suggestion
1) if you are making a new list, open a ticket for SAC for the creation
2) if you are moving a list to a new name, open a ticket for SAC for that movement
Regards
Vicky

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 4:41 AM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, I declare this motion closed after a week of being open, with universal support from all who responded.

Next steps as I understand it are to:

1. Move email list

2. Set up redirects on wiki pages

Vicky or Brian, I think one of you organised the renaming of the osgeolive email list? Do you have any suggestions on what we should do about renaming our [hidden email] to [hidden email]?

Cheers, Cameron

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

John Bryant
Hi Cameron, just checking in, where are we at with this? Was the plan to retire the existing list (aust-nz) and start a new list (oceania)?

Now that the 2019 conf committee is beginning its work (and using the foss4g-oceania list), we should make sure we have a home for OSGeo Oceania discussions. Happy to help however I can.

Cheers
John

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 07:02, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Aust-NZ] MOTION: retire Aust-NZ and move to OSGeo Oceania

Cameron Shorter
Jorge,
On behalf of the OSGeo Oceania community, I'd like to thank you for setting up our list. It is much appreciated.
Warm regards,
Cameron

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 22:55, Jorge Sanz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Cameron, John,

I've done the job and closed the ticket. Please follow up if you need further assistance.

Currently, any ticket assigned to the "mailing lists" Trac component is assigned to me, next time if you assign the ticket I'll get notified immediately.

Cheers!!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 11:58, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jorge,

I remember you being a bit of a wizard with OSGeo email lists. I wonder if you would mind if we asked for yet another favour?

Would you be able to help us with renaming our OSGeo regional email list from Aust-NZ to Oceania?

We have raised a ticket here:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2247#ticket

Warm regards, Cameron