MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Vicky Vergara-2
Hello all

There is a pending PR [1] and a reason for not merging [2]
MOTION to not merge.
just to be clear: +1 = not merge  -1 = merge

regards
Vicky

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Angelos Tzotsos
+1
Angelos

On 11/19/19 11:51 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:
Hello all

There is a pending PR [1] and a reason for not merging [2]
MOTION to not merge.
just to be clear: +1 = not merge  -1 = merge

[1] https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4
[2]
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4#issuecomment-4598

regards
Vicky

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Alex Mandel-2
I'm a little confused as to why this is MOTION for a vote. Are we voting
on if we think there should be a template Quickstart? That seems to be
the relevant question, and the issues raised could be addressed if we
are in agreement that we want a template.

Thanks,
Alex

On 11/19/19 1:51 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:

> Hello all
>
> There is a pending PR [1] and a reason for not merging [2]
> MOTION to not merge.
> just to be clear: +1 = not merge  -1 = merge
>
> [1] https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4
> [2]
> https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4#issuecomment-4598
>
> regards
> Vicky

Re: MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Felicity Brand
Hi,

Yesterday I closed my gitea PR, so I think the motion is no longer needed.

We did create a QuickStart template and it was merged in a PR on github (not gitea) because that triggers a build and we could check if it broke anything (which it didn’t).

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Felicity

> On 21 Nov 2019, at 7:52 am, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm a little confused as to why this is MOTION for a vote. Are we voting
> on if we think there should be a template Quickstart? That seems to be
> the relevant question, and the issues raised could be addressed if we
> are in agreement that we want a template.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
>> On 11/19/19 1:51 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> There is a pending PR [1] and a reason for not merging [2]
>> MOTION to not merge.
>> just to be clear: +1 = not merge  -1 = merge
>>
>> [1] https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4
>> [2]
>> https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4#issuecomment-4598
>>
>> regards
>> Vicky

Re: MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Cameron Shorter
Sorry for my late response. I am also confused about Vicky's intent for
this motion.

If it is because Vicky would like to see the template quickstart checked
in via github, then I can see that has already been done, and I'm fine
with that.

However, I suspect Vicky has concerns about:

1. Adding a new "generic" quickstart template.
I'm in favour of adding a new generic template. Feedback we have
received from documentarians in TheGoodDocsProject was that there are
strong reasons for not using an exemplar template (as I originally set
up a long time ago).
1.1 It projects favouritism and potential resentment.
1.2 Successful projects are continually changing, and there is a high
chance that your exemplar project will become out of date. It is better
to create an imaginary project which doesn't change

2. Concerns about the content of the template quickstart (which
currently still references udig).
2.1 I agree with Vicky's concerns. I suggest we make the template
"generic". When I have a spare moment I'll provide more detailed
feedback in Felicity's call for review.

On 21/11/19 10:41 am, Felicity Brand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I closed my gitea PR, so I think the motion is no longer needed.
>
> We did create a QuickStart template and it was merged in a PR on github (not gitea) because that triggers a build and we could check if it broke anything (which it didn’t).
>
> I hope that makes sense.
>
> Thanks
> Felicity
>
>> On 21 Nov 2019, at 7:52 am, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm a little confused as to why this is MOTION for a vote. Are we voting
>> on if we think there should be a template Quickstart? That seems to be
>> the relevant question, and the issues raised could be addressed if we
>> are in agreement that we want a template.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>>> On 11/19/19 1:51 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> There is a pending PR [1] and a reason for not merging [2]
>>> MOTION to not merge.
>>> just to be clear: +1 = not merge  -1 = merge
>>>
>>> [1] https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4
>>> [2]
>>> https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeolive/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls/4#issuecomment-4598
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Vicky

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: MOTION not to merge PR#4 on gitea

Alex Mandel-2
I'm in favor of a template. Lowers the amount of thinking to get started.

Thanks,
Alex