MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

12

MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

David William Bitner-3
Dear Incubation Committee,

As the mentor for GeoNode Incubation, I would like to make a motion to graduate GeoNode from the OSGeo incubation process with Jeff Johnson to act as the Project Officer.

You will find the Incubation Checklist at:

During the incubation process much work has been done to solidify the intellectual property behind GeoNode.
  • copyright was transferred from the now dissolved OpenPlans
  • a Contributor License Agreement has been adopted and a process created to collect from all contributors
  • all files have been checked for headers
  • the release process documentation has been shored up
GeoNode has a tremendous "bus quotient" as there are core developers distributed globally. Many of the institutional direct users have developed strong expertise in GeoNode along with many companies that have developed support programs built around GeoNode. There is no single point of failure for this project.

The GeoNode has managed to work in the open from inception in a way that has enabled enormous amounts of collaboration both between institutions using GeoNode and companies/individuals providing support for GeoNode.

Thanks,

David

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Arnulf Christl-3
+1 Arnulf

Thanks and congratulations on the good work.

On 25.08.2016 17:28, David William Bitner wrote:

> Dear Incubation Committee,
>
> As the mentor for GeoNode Incubation, I would like to make a motion to
> graduate GeoNode from the OSGeo incubation process with Jeff Johnson to
> act as the Project Officer.
>
> You will find the Incubation Checklist at:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNode_Incubation_Checklist
>
> During the incubation process much work has been done to solidify the
> intellectual property behind GeoNode.
>
>   * copyright was transferred from the now dissolved OpenPlans
>   * a Contributor License Agreement has been adopted and a process
>     created to collect from all contributors
>   * all files have been checked for headers
>   * the release process documentation has been shored up
>
> GeoNode has a tremendous "bus quotient" as there are core developers
> distributed globally. Many of the institutional direct users have
> developed strong expertise in GeoNode along with many companies that
> have developed support programs built around GeoNode. There is no single
> point of failure for this project.
>
> The GeoNode has managed to work in the open from inception in a way that
> has enabled enormous amounts of collaboration both between institutions
> using GeoNode and companies/individuals providing support for GeoNode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

http://metaspatial.net
Spatially enabling your business.

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Tom Kralidis

(disclosure: I am a GeoNode committer).

+1

..Tom

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 17:47:12 +0200
> From: Arnulf Christl <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Incubator] MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation
>
> +1 Arnulf
>
> Thanks and congratulations on the good work.
>

> On 25.08.2016 17:28, David William Bitner wrote:
>> Dear Incubation Committee,
>>
>> As the mentor for GeoNode Incubation, I would like to make a motion to
>> graduate GeoNode from the OSGeo incubation process with Jeff Johnson to
>> act as the Project Officer.
>>
>> You will find the Incubation Checklist at:
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNode_Incubation_Checklist
>>
>> During the incubation process much work has been done to solidify the
>> intellectual property behind GeoNode.
>>
>>   * copyright was transferred from the now dissolved OpenPlans
>>   * a Contributor License Agreement has been adopted and a process
>>     created to collect from all contributors
>>   * all files have been checked for headers
>>   * the release process documentation has been shored up
>>
>> GeoNode has a tremendous "bus quotient" as there are core developers
>> distributed globally. Many of the institutional direct users have
>> developed strong expertise in GeoNode along with many companies that
>> have developed support programs built around GeoNode. There is no single
>> point of failure for this project.
>>
>> The GeoNode has managed to work in the open from inception in a way that
>> has enabled enormous amounts of collaboration both between institutions
>> using GeoNode and companies/individuals providing support for GeoNode.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David
>>
>> --

> http://metaspatial.net
> Spatially enabling your business.

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

+1

[...]

************************************
David William Bitner

dbSpatial LLC

612-424-9932

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

blammo
+1

bobb

On Aug 25, 2016, at 10:28 AM, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Landon Blake-2
+1

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

jody.garnett
Just going through this now because it is so exciting ...

Open

For the contribution docs I am not quite sure they are up to date - I was looking at how the CLA was handled during contributing.
https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING looks good references www.clahub.com, does the link work when doing a pull request?
- Excellent docs though, and good to credit the github guides.

David do you have links to a PSC decision or two so we can see how it is done? I am curious as what kind of question would cause the community to "resort to taking things to the PSC for vote"?

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 August 2016 at 17:28, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jeffrey Johnson
Ill update the docs about contributing. Indeed we only added the one
line into CONTRIBUTING. We have a big docs sprint planned, so
wondering if this can wait until then?

Basically GitHub is now configured to _require_ you to have signed the
CLA before we can merge a pull request. You can see a screenshot
attached. The "Details" Link links to our CLA on CLAHub.

As for PSC decision making: I cant really remember the last time we
ever had any decision that was not essentially unanimous. This is
largely because a) we all try to discuss things before putting them to
a vote so that we know how the votes will be cast before they are and
b) we dont really have anyone in our community who is pendantic and
makes issues out of every last thing. I think b) may be both a benefit
and a hinderance to the project. Some times we all just agree to
"close our eyes and merge" when we might reasonably make an issue
about things.

Screenshot 2016-08-26 16.19.53.png (70K) Download Attachment

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

jody.garnett

As for PSC decision making: I cant really remember the last time we
ever had any decision that was not essentially unanimous. This is
largely because a) we all try to discuss things before putting them to
a vote so that we know how the votes will be cast before they are and
b) we dont really have anyone in our community who is pendantic and
makes issues out of every last thing. I think b) may be both a benefit
and a hinderance to the project. Some times we all just agree to
"close our eyes and merge" when we might reasonably make an issue
about things.

So this is more a case of "the psc is there if needed" eh?

I know I often repeat that incubation is capturing

On 26 August 2016 at 16:24, Jeffrey Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ill update the docs about contributing. Indeed we only added the one
line into CONTRIBUTING. We have a big docs sprint planned, so
wondering if this can wait until then?

Certainly! You have the docs in place, they are just a bit out of date (I was curious about how you were writing up clahub).

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

jody.garnett
Active and healthy community

No real feedback here, a healthy and diverse group.

Copyright and License

A few spot checks on provenance review...

Libraries:
- IMDbPY 4.9? license ... GPLv2
- click 5.1 ... BSD
- matplotlib 1.3.1 ... matplotlib licens <-- is that open source?
- ... a few more to do here?

Source Files - this section is empty?
- um I am missing something? Did you run into any trouble when checking files ...
- note you do not have to fix things, we only want a list of any trouble so interested parties can volunteer

Think I will stop here, happy to help at pub this evening or code sprint tomorrow :)

--
Jody Garnett

On 26 August 2016 at 14:57, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Since the provenance review was empty I thought I would hit the code base....

The docs (http://docs.geonode.org/en/latest/index.html)  end up with "© Copyright 2015, GeoNode Development Team. Revision a5dc49f3" in the footer (ie they do not indicate they are CCbyA). May be able to update footer in https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/blob/master/docs/conf.py

Doing spot checks on source code - amusing history updating headers - thanks Daniel Berry for his own personal edit war. I found a Copyright (C) 2010 David Winslow (not sure if you care).

The "django.po" files have some boiler plate - "# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE., Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER, This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package."
"

--
Jody Garnett

On 26 August 2016 at 17:01, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: requiring CLA signing

Cameron Shorter

On 27/08/2016 12:24 AM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Basically GitHub is now configured to_require_  you to have signed the
> CLA before we can merge a pull request. You can see a screenshot
> attached. The "Details" Link links to our CLA on CLAHub.

Hi Jeffrey,
Could you please expand on how to set up  _require_ signing of a CLA
before merging.
It is something that I'd like to set up for the OSGeo-Live project, and
as such might want to copy what you have done.
If you can point me at a URL in your project docs describing the
process, then even better.

Warm regards,

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager

P +61 2 8099 9000,  M +61 419 142 254, W www.jirotech.com

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
+1

Julien

On 2016-08-25 11:28 AM, David William Bitner wrote:

> Dear Incubation Committee,
>
> As the mentor for GeoNode Incubation, I would like to make a motion to
> graduate GeoNode from the OSGeo incubation process with Jeff Johnson to
> act as the Project Officer.
>
> You will find the Incubation Checklist at:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNode_Incubation_Checklist
>
> During the incubation process much work has been done to solidify the
> intellectual property behind GeoNode.
>
>   * copyright was transferred from the now dissolved OpenPlans
>   * a Contributor License Agreement has been adopted and a process
>     created to collect from all contributors
>   * all files have been checked for headers
>   * the release process documentation has been shored up
>
> GeoNode has a tremendous "bus quotient" as there are core developers
> distributed globally. Many of the institutional direct users have
> developed strong expertise in GeoNode along with many companies that
> have developed support programs built around GeoNode. There is no single
> point of failure for this project.
>
> The GeoNode has managed to work in the open from inception in a way that
> has enabled enormous amounts of collaboration both between institutions
> using GeoNode and companies/individuals providing support for GeoNode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
T: +1 418-696-5056 #202
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

David William Bitner-3
Just to bump this a bit as many were traveling when the motion went out.

The GeoNode team is actively addressing the concerns that Jody brought up, all of which are valuable items, but I do not believe any are showstoppers. If there are any additional concerns, please bring them up here.

Here is the current status on votes:

  • Bruce Bannerman
  • Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques +1
  • Landon Blake +1
  • Howard Butler
  • Arnulf Christl +1
  • Jody Garnett (chair)
  • Dimitris Kotzinos
  • Tom Kralidis +1
  • Julien-Samuel Lacroix +1
  • Mark Lucas
  • Steve Lime +1
  • Daniel Morissette
  • Markus Schneider
  • Cameron Shorter
  • Jeroen Ticheler
  • Norman Vine
  • Frank Warmerdam

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Julien-Samuel Lacroix <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Julien

On 2016-08-25 11:28 AM, David William Bitner wrote:
Dear Incubation Committee,

[...]

T: <a href="tel:%2B1%20418-696-5056%20%23202" value="+14186965056" target="_blank">+1 418-696-5056 #202
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
+1 Congratulations!

_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 26 aug. 2016 om 16:24 heeft Jeffrey Johnson <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

wrote:

[...]

You are correct David, twice:
- incubation finding issues is the point, we do not ask that the issues are fixed during incubation only that they are listed as known problems (so potential users are aware and can decide to help out or steer clear as appropriate).
- none of the issues I found were that interesting, indeed my check went a bit further then I was able to email (for example confirming with Jeff that the sample data was obtained under asuitable license)

That said I would applicate an extra set of eyes on the checklist, I am interested in any work that needed to be done during incubation (such as you updating the headers - although I guess that was due to the code changing ownership).

It is my hope to continue working through the checklist and respond with a firm +1, currently I am at an enthusiastic +0 :)

--
Jody Garnett

On 2016-08-25 11:28 AM, David William Bitner wrote:
Dear Incubation Committee,

[...]

T: <a href="tel:%2B1%20418-696-5056%20%23202" target="_blank" value="+14186965056">+1 418-696-5056 #202
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Daniel Morissette
+1 on graduation. Congratulations!

Daniel

P.S.

The project seems to have a quite healthy and open community of users
and contributors around it and that's one of the key things that I like
to see around OSGeo projects.

Note that in the incubation checklist you only answered "Yes" to the
project officer question. Perhaps we should reword the question in the
checklist, but I'd expect the project officer to be named there. That
name will be required for the motion to the board later on anyway.

And a few notes for the upcoming docs sprint: As I was walking through
the process docs linked form the checklist, I found several broken
links. In most cases I was able to find the info through other means,
but I thought I'd point a few of them to make sure they are addressed:

-
http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/organizational/comm_bylaws.html#comm-bylaws

The link to the AUTHORS file is broken. It points to a "dev" branch that
no longer exist. Perhaps point it to the master branch?

- http://docs.geonode.org/en/latest/organizational/roadmap.html#roadmap

Does the organizational partner list still exist and still lead the
roadmap or is this old info? The geonode-org google group has restricted
access and I'm unable to read roadmap items and other docs linked from
this page.

On 2016-08-25 11:28 AM, David William Bitner wrote:

> Dear Incubation Committee,
>
> As the mentor for GeoNode Incubation, I would like to make a motion to
> graduate GeoNode from the OSGeo incubation process with Jeff Johnson to
> act as the Project Officer.
>
> You will find the Incubation Checklist at:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNode_Incubation_Checklist
>
> During the incubation process much work has been done to solidify the
> intellectual property behind GeoNode.
>
>   * copyright was transferred from the now dissolved OpenPlans
>   * a Contributor License Agreement has been adopted and a process
>     created to collect from all contributors
>   * all files have been checked for headers
>   * the release process documentation has been shored up
>
> GeoNode has a tremendous "bus quotient" as there are core developers
> distributed globally. Many of the institutional direct users have
> developed strong expertise in GeoNode along with many companies that
> have developed support programs built around GeoNode. There is no single
> point of failure for this project.
>
> The GeoNode has managed to work in the open from inception in a way that
> has enabled enormous amounts of collaboration both between institutions
> using GeoNode and companies/individuals providing support for GeoNode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201

http://evouala.com/ - Location Intelligence Made Easy

Re: MOTION: GeoNode Graduation from OSGeo Incubation

Cameron Shorter

I've just checked the check list. GeoNode looks to be in great shape. I'd also like to comment that through my involvement packaging GeoNode on OSGeo-Live that we have seen a responsive and health community project.

However, it seems there isn't a link to the release process here:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNode_Incubation_Checklist#Release_Procedure

So I'm currently -1 on graduation till answers are added to the Release Procedure. (I'm assuming this is just an oversight).

While not approved by the incubation committee, I have added suggestions for a next version of the incubation list here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Graduation_Checklist
While nothing on this list should prevent current incubation, I suggest running your eye over it and see if there is anything else worth addressing.
In particular, I suggest that somewhere in your processes you link to the OSGeo code of conduct.

On 2016-08-25 11:28 AM, David William Bitner wrote:
Dear Incubation Committee,

[...]

T: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B1%20418-696-5056%20%23202" target="_blank" value="+14186965056">+1 418-696-5056 #202
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254