MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

12345

MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

stevenfeldman
This mail is aimed at the current members of the Conference Committee (we do not have a private list).

Only committee members can vote on these proposals, others on this list are welcome to comment and committee members will hopefully take note of those opinions when voting on the matters proposed.

The current membership of the conference committee is listed at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Current_Members. We have 19 members after Dave McIlhagga resigned and after we co-opted Till Adams as the chair of FOSS4G2016. There is currently no policy or rule for eligibility nor for requiring a member to retire after a period of time.

I have suggested in the past that we needed to have an open and fair process for selecting members and limiting the maximum number of committee members. At the face to face it was agreed that I should propose a policy.

I propose the following:

Goals
=====

The conference committee have the responsibility to run the selection process and voting for the global FOSS4G, to vote on other proposals submitted to the committee and to advise the board on other matters relating to FOSS4G events.

Role of the Committee and the broader community on the Conference_Dev list

1) Everyday topics will be decided upon by an open vote of all list participants in a clearly designated separate mail thread (+1/-1) over a minimum of two business days with a minimum participation of 3 votes. Ideally we aim for consensus falling back on simple majority vote where necessary. The result will be clearly declared afterwards (or whatever is decided).

2) Election of conference committee is by secret vote and restricted to the remaining conference committee members and board members who are not members of the conference committee.

3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will be posted to the list for open comment by all participants. The selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee members only. Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is expected to withdraw from vote. In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide.

Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an independent teller appointed by CC Chair

Conference Committee membership policy and process

1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members, preferably an odd number

2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member

3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from earlier past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G or related conferences

4) Each year (after FOSS4G) the 3 committee members should stand down:
a) The longest standing past FOSS4G chair
b) The longest standing 2 committee members remaining

5) Each year, prior to putting out the Global FOSS4G RfP, the old committee should vote for their replacement committee, using the above criteria as voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the conference committee will also be invited to vote.

6) Past committee members including those who have stood down due to length of service may stand for re-election

7) Votes will be secret either using an online voting system or by email to a designated teller who is not a voter. The mechanism will be selected by the committee chair.

I would ask committee members (and list participants) to comment on this proposal by 18.00 GMT Wednesday 14th September. I will then call for a vote amongst committee members only, the vote will close at 18.00 GMT on Sunday 18th September.

Once the membership policy has been agreed we will then need to apply the policy to the existing membership. I suggest that we ask all current members to confirm whether they wish to remain committee members and then hold an election (if needed). To this end it would be helpful if each committee member could update their record on the wiki page to show when they joined the conference committee (see my example).

The intention is that a 2016-7 committee of 11 will have been selected before we vote on the LoI’s for 2018, which is likely to be before the end of October.
______
Steven

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Till Adams-3
Hi Steven, @CC,

great work, many thanks for this.

I have just one comment - as said few month ago:

If Board members can also be members of the CC this **might** cause
voting conflicts.
It's more a theory, than a real problem, but I wanted to point on this:

1. The CC votes the next LOC and proposes the winner to the board, the
board decides (and normally approves, what CC proposed)
2. If a board member as CC member voted another LOC than the winning
team, he/she can block the decision made by CC in the board

As said, just a theoretical construct, but in theory possible.

If we see no problem here, I keep quiet.

Till

Am 2016-09-09 16:41, schrieb Steven Feldman:

> [...]
> current members to confirm whether they wish to remain committee
> members and then hold an election (if needed). To this end it would
> be
> helpful if each committee member could update their record on the
> wiki
> page to show when they joined the conference committee (see my
> example).
>
> The intention is that a 2016-7 committee of 11 will have been
> selected
> before we vote on the LoI’s for 2018, which is likely to be before
> the end of October.
>
>  ______
> Steven
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Current_Members

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Not sure if I am answering the right question here, if not excuse me

The board members only are invited to vote on the selection of conference committee members - the thinking was that each year we refresh at least 25% of the conference committee (although people can stand for re-election) and the inclusion of the board members in this important vote ensures that the conference committee should not become a self perpetuating clique.

Board members do not vote in the FOSS4G selection process, that is solely the conference committee members.

Ultimately the board can reject the FOSS4G choice of the conference committee, it has never happened yet and would presumably need a strong majority within the board

Feel free to ask again if I haven’t answered clearly or have answered the wrong question

Cheers
______
Steven

> [...]
>> selected by the committee chair.
>>
>> I would ask committee members (and list participants) to comment on
>> this proposal by 18.00 GMT Wednesday 14th September. I will then call
>> for a vote amongst committee members only, the vote will close at
>> 18.00 GMT on Sunday 18th September.
>>
>> Once the membership policy has been agreed we will then need to apply
>> the policy to the existing membership. I suggest that we ask all
>> current members to confirm whether they wish to remain committee
>> members and then hold an election (if needed). To this end it would be
>> helpful if each committee member could update their record on the wiki
>> page to show when they joined the conference committee (see my
>> example).
>>
>> The intention is that a 2016-7 committee of 11 will have been selected
>> before we vote on the LoI’s for 2018, which is likely to be before

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Eli Adam
This sounds good.  Specifics below.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> decide.
>
> Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an
> independent teller appointed by CC Chair
>
> Conference Committee membership policy and process
>
> 1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members,
> preferably an odd number
>
> 2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice
> chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most
> recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member
>
> 3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from earlier
> past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G or
> related conferences
>
> 4) Each year (after FOSS4G) the 3 committee members should stand down:
> a) The longest standing past FOSS4G chair
> b) The longest standing 2 committee members remaining

This might be better phrased and thought of as as "expired terms"
rather than an active "stand down."  (Or this might be an American
English vs. British English thing.)

> 5) Each year, prior to putting out the Global FOSS4G RfP, the old committee
> should vote for their replacement committee, using the above criteria as
> voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the conference
> committee will also be invited to vote.

You wrote "old committee" could this be clarified?  Do you mean:
"remaining committee members"?  How is this phrasing:

Each year, prior to releasing the Global FOSS4G RfP, the remaining
committee members should fill available vacancies, using the above
criteria as voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the
conference committee will also be invited to vote.

> 6) Past committee members including those who have stood down due to length
> of service may stand for re-election
>
> 7) Votes will be secret either using an online voting system or by email to
> a designated teller who is not a voter. The mechanism will be selected by
> the committee chair.
>
> I would ask committee members (and list participants) to comment on this
> proposal by 18.00 GMT Wednesday 14th September. I will then call for a vote
> amongst committee members only, the vote will close at 18.00 GMT on Sunday
> 18th September.

I like a clear schedule of activity here.  We discuss until 18.00 GMT
Wednesday 14th September, then (after any revisions from the
discussion) you call for a vote which will close 18.00 GMT on Sunday
18th September.

> Once the membership policy has been agreed we will then need to apply the
> policy to the existing membership. I suggest that we ask all current members
> to confirm whether they wish to remain committee members and then hold an
> election (if needed). To this end it would be helpful if each committee
> member could update their record on the wiki page to show when they joined
> the conference committee (see my example).

I've updated the wiki and enjoy contributing to the committee and am
happy to continue as a member for another term.

Best regards, Eli

> The intention is that a 2016-7 committee of 11 will have been selected
> before we vote on the LoI’s for 2018, which is likely to be before the end
> of October.
> ______
> Steven

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Hi all,
This proposal looks good to me. +1
I'll immediately take a step to make the reduction of the committee size easier by stepping down. It was great to work with you.
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 9 sep. 2016 om 23:10 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Thanks for your vote of support and thanks for your contributions to the conference committee. I hope that you will continue to participate in the discussions on the conference mail list

Cheers
______
Steven

On 10 Sep 2016, at 07:35, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Steve,

thank you for taking this action (we need this on every level of OSGeo, we lack on people with little bit free time).

Some issues inline:

pá 9. 9. 2016 v 16:41 odesílatel Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> napsal:
[...]

So far, it was Conference committee who gave "clue" to the Board and board did the final decision (after all, they are "sitting" on the money). I think, this works well. Board's voice was important only if Board would strongly disagree with Conference committee (never happen afaik), or when there was a tie (happend twice, AFAIK).

3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will be posted to the list for open comment by all participants. The selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee members only. Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is expected to withdraw from vote. In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide.

Please define conflict of interest! It was FOSS4G 2014 vote (DC vs. Portland), where several members of LOC in DC were told, they might be in conflict of interest. Their relationship to LOC was only "supportive", they had no real relationship to any decision and in the matter of fact, they hoped to help the LOC and being connection betweeen LOC and OSGeo, if they are both - in Conference Committee and in LOC. This was (IMHO) one of biggest crises of OSGeo and it should be clearly stated for the future, that membership in LOC and Conference Committee is either to be seen as OK or conflicting.

Today I think: there is no reason for having one person in both - LOC and Conf. comm.

Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an independent teller appointed by CC Chair

Conference Committee membership policy and process

1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members, preferably an odd number

2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member

... or any other member of LOC, suggested by the chair of most recent FOSS4G

[...]

David Fawcett
Steven,

Thank you for developing this.  Over all, it looks great.  Jachym makes a great point that we need a very clear criteria for determining conflict of interest.

David.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 4:42 AM, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Board
=====

Just to clarify 2) the board is only invited to vote in the selection of new conference committee members to ensure that we do not become a self perpetuating body. The board does not vote in the selection of the conference proposals 3) although it has the final right to approve or reject the recommendation of the conference committee.

Conflict of interest
==============

I agree with you.

This came up as a possible issue in the 2017 selection process and there was no clarity about whether a member of the committee could/should vote if they had an interest. The intention is that in the voting process a committee member should not vote if they are part of the bid team or employed by a company active in the bid. Usually we would expect a member to withdraw voluntarily but in the event that that did not happen or that there was dispute, the Chair has the ability to decide.
______
Steven

On 12 Sep 2016, at 11:42, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Hi All,

On 9/13/2016 12:57 AM, David Fawcett wrote:
> Steven,
>
> Thank you for developing this.  Over all, it looks great.  Jachym makes a
> great point that we need a very clear criteria for determining conflict of
> interest.

I also think that this is an important point made by Jachym and need
to be addressed prudently.

Also, I agree with Jachym statement below too.

> So far, it was Conference committee who gave "clue" to the Board and board
> did the final decision (after all, they are "sitting" on the money). I
> think, this works well. Board's voice was important only if Board would
> strongly disagree with Conference committee (never happen afaik), or when
> there was a tie (happend twice, AFAIK).

I trust that the OSGeo board to take a informed decision based on the
recommendations of the conference committee and do not see the need
to change the current decision model for deciding on conference
proposals

Best

Venka

> [...]
>>> 18th September.
>>>
>>> Once the membership policy has been agreed we will then need to apply the
>>> policy to the existing membership. I suggest that we ask all current
>>> members to confirm whether they wish to remain committee members and then
>>> hold an election (if needed). To this end it would be helpful if each
>>> committee member could update their record on the wiki page to show when
>>> they joined the conference committee (see my example).
>>>
>>> The intention is that a 2016-7 committee of 11 will have been selected
>>> before we vote on the LoI’s for 2018, which is likely to be before the end
>>> of October.
>>> ______
>>> Steven
>>>

>>> Jachym

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

The period for comment has now closed. I have marginally changed the text to clarify a couple of items following comments from Eli, Till, Jachym and David.

If you have not voted you have until 18.00 GMT on Sunday 18th September.
As I have it recorded there are:
+1 from Eli, Cameron, Jeroen and Steven
Expressions of agreement but not a specific +1 from Till, David B, Jachym
0 or -1 from no one

Adjusted motion:

Goals
=====

The conference committee have the responsibility to run the selection process and voting for the global FOSS4G, to vote on other proposals submitted to the committee and to advise the board on other matters relating to FOSS4G events.

Role of the Committee and the broader community on the Conference_Dev list

1) Everyday topics will be decided upon by an open vote of all list participants in a clearly designated separate mail thread (+1/-1) over a minimum of two business days with a minimum participation of 3 votes. Ideally we aim for consensus falling back on simple majority vote where necessary. The result will be clearly declared afterwards (or whatever is decided).

2) Election of conference committee is by secret vote and restricted to the remaining conference committee members and board members who are not members of the conference committee.

3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will be posted to the list for open comment by all list participants. The selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee members only (for the avoidance of doubt the Board do not vote in the selection process but they do ratify the conference committee’s reccommendation).

4) Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is expected to withdraw from vote. A member of the committee who is part of a bidding team, intends to become part of the LOC or is employed by a company playing an active part in a bid should exclude themselves from voting in the selection process. In the event of a disagreement regarding a potential conflict of interest the committee chair has the authority to make a decision.

Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an independent teller appointed by CC Chair

Conference Committee membership policy and process

1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members, preferably an odd number

2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member

3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from earlier past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G or related conferences

4) Each year (after FOSS4G) 3 committee members should retire from the committee:
a) The longest standing past FOSS4G chair
b) The longest standing 2 committee members remaining

5) Each year, prior to releasing the Global FOSS4G RfP, the remaining committee members should fill available vacancies, using the above
criteria as voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the conference committee will also be invited to vote.

6) Past committee members including those who have stood down due to length of service may stand for re-election

7) Votes will be secret either using an online voting system or by email to a designated teller who is not a voter. The mechanism will be selected by the committee chair.

______
Steven

On 9 Sep 2016, at 15:41, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Goals
=====

[...]

Helena Mitasova-7
+1 from Helena

It is not quite clear to me who is supposed to step down when, but I assume that this will become clear as the new rules are implemented (I don't exactly remember for how long I have been on the conference committee but it has been a long time.) Anyway, I agree with what has been proposed here.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

Paul Ramsey
+1

By way of providing info, it looks like the automatic resignees would be Claude (longest time since his FOSS4G 2006), me and Gavin (longest serving members otherwise).
That leaves 15 members, so four to go to get to 11. Perhaps there’s some more voluntary resignees out there.
ATB,

• Steven Feldman (Chair) - member since October 2013 (chair of Global FOSS4G 2013)
• Eli Adam - member since January 2015 (1 of 4 co-chairs of Global FOSS4G 2014)
• Thierry Badard
• Peter Batty (2010)
• David Bitner
• Maria Brovelli - member since March 2016 (Chair FOSS4G Europe 2015)
• Jachym Cepicky
• Vasile Craciunescu - member since July 2013 (chair of FOSS4G Central and Eastern Europe 2013)
• David Fawcett
• Darrell Fuhriman
• Helena Mitasova
• Venkatesh Raghavan (Chair FOSS4G-2004, FOSS4G-Asia 2014)
• Cameron Shorter - member since 2009 (chair of Global FOSS4G 2009)
• Sanghee Shin - member since 2015 (chair of Global FOSS4G 2015)
• Till Adams - member since September 2016 (chair of Global FOSS4G 2016)

• Claude Philipona (chair 2006)
• Paul Ramsey - Chair of global FOSS4G 2007
• Gavin Fleming (chair 2008)

On Sep 14, 2016, at 2:25 PM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thierry Badard

Hey all,

I have served as a conference committee member since the inception of the committee. After 10 years of participation, it's time for me to resign and to give the committee a chance to welcome new blood that will enable OSGeo and its fantastic conference to go a step further and explore new directions. I am proud of all what we have done so far even if some decisions have maybe not been well recieved by the community or were not mine. That's democracy and we have constantly applied its rules in an open way for the best of the organisation! It was a pleasure to work with you all and even if my recent job activities make I am less present in the geospatial open source domain, I want to thank you all for this experience and to ensure I will be always supportive of the OSGeo activities.

Best regards,

Th.

Le 16-09-15 à 08:54, Paul Ramsey a écrit :
[...]

Prof. Thierry Badard, Ph.D., ing. jr

Directeur par interim du Centre de Recherche en Géomatique
(http://www.crg.ulaval.ca)
Professeur agrégé au Département des sciences géomatiques
(http://www.scg.ulaval.ca)
Membre votant de la fondation OSGeo
(http://www.osgeo.org)

Département des sciences géomatiques
Faculté de foresterie, de géographie et de géomatique
Pavillon Louis-Jacques Casault
1055, avenue du Séminaire
Local 1343
Université Laval
Québec (Québec) G1V 0A6
Canada

Tél.: +1.418.656-7116 - Fax: +1.418.656-7411
Courriel : [hidden email]
Web: http://geosoa.scg.ulaval.ca

*AVERTISSEMENT*

Avis relatif à la confidentialité
Notice of confidentiality
Advertencia de confidencialidad
http://www.rec.ulaval.ca/lce/securite/confidentialite.htm

Fwd: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

massimiliano cannata-2

Dear Steven,
I know i'm late but I hope my comments could be still considered to improve the "Membership Policies and Process" of the conference committee.

In general I don't like the idea that only who has chaired a conference is entitled to take decision on the conference, is like saying that if you are not a developer you cannot be part of a project PSC even if you are a "rock expert in user interaction design" for example or "super power user"... often the minister of education is not a professor ;-)

here below some detailed comments inline..

Goals
=====

The conference committee have the responsibility to run the selection process and voting for the global FOSS4G, to vote on other proposals submitted to the committee and to advise the board on other matters relating to FOSS4G events.

Role of the Committee and the broader community on the Conference_Dev list

1) Everyday topics will be decided upon by an open vote of all list participants in a clearly designated separate mail thread (+1/-1) over a minimum of two business days with a minimum participation of 3 votes. Ideally we aim for consensus falling back on simple majority vote where necessary. The result will be clearly declared afterwards (or whatever is decided).

3 votes out of 11 members and 2 days seems to me too restricted: in principle after a motion having 3 positive votes after two bussiness day can be enough to declare passed the motion

2) Election of conference committee is by secret vote and restricted to the remaining conference committee members and board members who are not members of the conference committee.

I would like to see the votes open to all participants (all the charter member that are part of the conference mailing list or are registered as interested), not only the remaining committee (otherwise you basically decide with who you want to work).

3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will be posted to the list for open comment by all participants. The selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee members only. Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is expected to withdraw from vote. In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide.

What do mean by "In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide"? In case of tie the chair decide the winning (that anyway is decided by the board as the conference committee provides its indication and the board eventually ratify it).

Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an independent teller appointed by CC Chair

Conference Committee membership policy and process

1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members, preferably an odd number

2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member

So the "aim" is that the last 5 chairs of global FOSS4G should be members of the committee, but if you change 3 member a year, in about 3 years you have changed all the members: so this is not possible, mathematically speaking, unless you recruit both chair and vice-chair in the committee. so you'll have 6 new members in 3 years.
At this point no more seats are left for regional conference chairs....

3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from earlier past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G or related conferences

4) Each year (after FOSS4G) the 3 committee members should stand down:
a) The longest standing past FOSS4G chair
b) The longest standing 2 committee members remaining

Should or Shall, is it a rule or a guideline. What is the longest standing past FOSS4G chair does not stand down? Is he/she forced to resign or banned?

5) Each year, prior to putting out the Global FOSS4G RfP, the old committee should vote for their replacement committee, using the above criteria as voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the conference committee will also be invited to vote.

Again, i don't like this self-election of a governing body ;-)

6) Past committee members including those who have stood down due to length of service may stand for re-election

Yes, but basically no seats will be available according to the rule of having half of the committee from latest events: oldest out, recent in so oldest no way to get in again ;-) unless others resign (apart from the three)

7) Votes will be secret either using an online voting system or by email to a designated teller who is not a voter. The mechanism will be selected by the committee chair.

Why the mechanism is not voted by all the committee members?

[...]

Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

Re: MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

stevenfeldman
Maxi

Thanks for your comments. We are now in the voting stage so I cannot change the motion. However I will try to respond briefly to your comments inline below
______
Steven

On 15 Sep 2016, at 11:25, Massimiliano Cannata <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Steven,
I know i'm late but I hope my comments could be still considered to improve the "Membership Policies and Process" of the conference committee.

In general I don't like the idea that only who has chaired a conference is entitled to take decision on the conference, is like saying that if you are not a developer you cannot be part of a project PSC even if you are a "rock expert in user interaction design" for example or "super power user"... often the minister of education is not a professor ;-)
** The role of the conference committee requires the expertise of past chairs. Only 5 of 11 places are allocated to past chairs, the other places are open to regional chairs or others with equivalent relevant experience

[...]

** we have to set a quorum and a time limit on votes - sometimes decisions are needed relatively quickly. Often only a subset of conference committee members or list participants actually respond. If the current motion is passed you could suggest an amendment to increase the quorum and time limit

2) Election of conference committee is by secret vote and restricted to the remaining conference committee members and board members who are not members of the conference committee.

I would like to see the votes open to all participants (all the charter member that are part of the conference mailing list or are registered as interested), not only the remaining committee (otherwise you basically decide with who you want to work).
** The electorate for new committee members is the combination of the remaining committee members AND the Board.

3) FOSS4G Selection - All Letters of Intent and subsequent proposals will be posted to the list for open comment by all participants. The selection of the winning proposal is by secret vote of conference committee members only. Any committee member who has a potential conflict of interest is expected to withdraw from vote. In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide.

What do mean by "In the event of a disagreement the committee chair will decide"? In case of tie the chair decide the winning (that anyway is decided by the board as the conference committee provides its indication and the board eventually ratify it).
*** you have misunderstood - this is nothing to do with a tied vote. the chair decides whether there is a conflict of interest if agreement can’t be reached. See the revised version of the motion that was posted today following various people’s comments

Votes in 2 and 3 are to an online voting service or by email to an independent teller appointed by CC Chair

Conference Committee membership policy and process

1) The conference committee aims to retain up to 11 active members, preferably an odd number

2) The committee aims for half of these members to be chairs (or vice chairs) of the most recent FOSS4G global events. The chair of the most recent FOSS4G event will automatically be invited to become a member

So the "aim" is that the last 5 chairs of global FOSS4G should be members of the committee, but if you change 3 member a year, in about 3 years you have changed all the members: so this is not possible, mathematically speaking, unless you recruit both chair and vice-chair in the committee. so you'll have 6 new members in 3 years.
At this point no more seats are left for regional conference chairs….
** I think this will work - The longest standing chair stands down, the latest is co-opted onto committee. 2 other longest standing members from the remaining 6 non-chair positions retire and 2 new people are elected

3) The remaining membership is open, ideally attracting people from earlier past chairs or active LOC members from past Global, Regional FOSS4G or related conferences

4) Each year (after FOSS4G) the 3 committee members should stand down:
a) The longest standing past FOSS4G chair
b) The longest standing 2 committee members remaining

Should or Shall, is it a rule or a guideline. What is the longest standing past FOSS4G chair does not stand down? Is he/she forced to resign or banned?
** My view would be that in our community a ‘should’ is sufficient, if you think a more formal approach is required you can propose an amendment to change to ‘shall’ after the vote

5) Each year, prior to putting out the Global FOSS4G RfP, the old committee should vote for their replacement committee, using the above criteria as voting guidelines.  OSGeo Board members who are not on the conference committee will also be invited to vote.

Again, i don't like this self-election of a governing body ;-)
*** see above

6) Past committee members including those who have stood down due to length of service may stand for re-election

Yes, but basically no seats will be available according to the rule of having half of the committee from latest events: oldest out, recent in so oldest no way to get in again ;-) unless others resign (apart from the three)
*** see above

7) Votes will be secret either using an online voting system or by email to a designated teller who is not a voter. The mechanism will be selected by the committee chair.

Why the mechanism is not voted by all the committee members?
*** we will probably continue to use an independent teller as we have in the past. If the board adopts loomio or some other system for votes we may decide to change to that. We need to get things done rather than spending a lot of time considering every list member’s idea of what voting software we should use.

[...]

Thierry

I know we have not met but may I thank you for all of your past contributions. I hope you will continue to participate on the list from time to time

Best
______
Steven

On 15 Sep 2016, at 14:10, Thierry Badard <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Steven, first of all I want to thank you for your great work!

Was really fantastic how you were able to synthesize the previous document.

I have some relevant suggestions about some points of the discussion.

The first is about the composition of the CC.

It is ok of having 11 members. At that point I  propose:

3 rest of the world, 3 NA, 3 Europe

and then 2 ladies, as we need to have more ladies in the decision rooms.

The CC decisions need to be visible to the community and  charter members should be allowed to have a say on how our conference will be conducted.

Then my last consideration is that we need at least 6 votes in accordance. 3 are definitely not enough. It is  not the majority.

In my opinion these are relevant points  and we have to discuss them.

Best regards!
Maria

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)"; OSGeo; ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET

Sol Katz Award 2015

Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)

Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321

e-mail1: [hidden email][hidden email]

e-mail2: [hidden email]