MOSS "heritage" project

jody.garnett
Apparently the source code for the MOSS project, the work of Sol Katz, has been recovered.
Starting an email thread with respect to providing a "home" for this source code at OSGeo (figured the incubation committee was in the best position to act).

Holding on to inactive projects, is good in terms of IP precedence, and in this case as a historical artifact.

The discussion on the board has proposed a "heritage" status, we already have project retiring process, used for community mapbuilder (see #322).
--
Jody Garnett

Re: MOSS "heritage" project

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi Jody,

I’ve been following the discussions on the Board list.

I can still remember being trained in MOSS in the mid 80’s. It certainly made an impression on me having then come from a mainly Intergraph IGDS background.

I believe that:

  • It is appropriate for OSGeo to be the ‘Home’ for the legacy MOSS IP and artefacts.

  • It will probably require some effort to put this together.

  • From the discussions that I’ve seen so far, I suspect that there is also hardcopy material as well that will need to be archived:
    • I recall a similar discussion a year or two ago about some legacy GRASS hardcopy materials.
    • I don’t know that a group of virtual volunteers is necessarily the right forum for preserving these hardcopy artefacts.
    • Where could they be physically located and preserved?
    • However, the hardcopy artefacts may be very important as evidence of ‘prior art’, for those organisations and countries that need to deal with ’software patents’.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 7 Oct 2020, at 14:54, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apparently the source code for the MOSS project, the work of Sol Katz, has been recovered.
Starting an email thread with respect to providing a "home" for this source code at OSGeo (figured the incubation committee was in the best position to act).

Holding on to inactive projects, is good in terms of IP precedence, and in this case as a historical artifact.

The discussion on the board has proposed a "heritage" status, we already have project retiring process, used for community mapbuilder (see #322).
--
Jody Garnett

Re: MOSS "heritage" project

jody.garnett
I hope it won't require much effort, I really just want to put the codebase on osgeo github (wider reach than our gitlab), and set up a page on the website (perhaps link to it from the sol katz award page).

Perhaps I missed something, I am not aware of any hardcopy materials, if there are any it would be up to [hidden email] to manage.
--
Jody Garnett