Quantcast

MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

cheesybiscuits
I am fighting with MG OS 2.1 on Windows Server 2008R2 (64-bit) and any suggestions would be really welcome.

IIS (7.5) is running multiple versions of PHP as I have other sites already on the same server. The mapguide virtual directory is using the 5.2.5 TS version of PHP it ships with via FastCGI - I don't think the issue is here but thought it worth mentioning.

All PHP and MapGuide site functionality seems to be working fine (I can administer the site, load packages, create aliases etc.) *except* for calls to mapagent/mapagent.fcgi. Under the default application pool configuration (MapGuideAppPool) all calls return a 500.0 error with no useful info at all. If I change this app pool's configuration (change .NET version used (which I don't think should make a difference) or set 'Enable 32-bit applications' to true) I get either a 504 (no response returned) or 503 (service unavailable) followed by the app pool crashing.

The ISAPI handler for mapagent.fcgi requests is enabled and correctly points to C:\Program Files (x86)\OSGeo\MapGuide\Web\www\mapagent\isapi_MapAgent.dll

I am testing via the Sheboygan sample application, having loaded the package and made no changes to the PHP. Fiddler is showing me the HTTP responses.

Nothing is being logged either in the system log, PHP log, or the MapGuide server log so I have no idea where to go next.

If anyone has experience configuring MG OS 2.1 on this platform, or has ever seen similar issues with isapi_MapAgent.dll I would be very grateful for any suggestions. My fallback option is to install bundled MapGuide with Apache and set up a forwarding site in IIS, but I would really like to avoid this as both I and the client paying me are much more familiar with IIS than Apache.

Thanks

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

zspitzer
I would suggest trying out the 2.2 release?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM, cheesybiscuits
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am fighting with MG OS 2.1 on Windows Server 2008R2 (64-bit) and any
> suggestions would be really welcome.
>
> IIS (7.5) is running multiple versions of PHP as I have other sites already
> on the same server. The mapguide virtual directory is using the 5.2.5 TS
> version of PHP it ships with via FastCGI - I don't think the issue is here
> but thought it worth mentioning.
>
> All PHP and MapGuide site functionality seems to be working fine (I can
> administer the site, load packages, create aliases etc.) *except* for calls
> to mapagent/mapagent.fcgi. Under the default application pool configuration
> (MapGuideAppPool) all calls return a 500.0 error with no useful info at all.
> If I change this app pool's configuration (change .NET version used (which I
> don't think should make a difference) or set 'Enable 32-bit applications' to
> true) I get either a 504 (no response returned) or 503 (service unavailable)
> followed by the app pool crashing.
>
> The ISAPI handler for mapagent.fcgi requests is enabled and correctly points
> to C:\Program Files (x86)\OSGeo\MapGuide\Web\www\mapagent\isapi_MapAgent.dll
>
> I am testing via the Sheboygan sample application, having loaded the package
> and made no changes to the PHP. Fiddler is showing me the HTTP responses.
>
> Nothing is being logged either in the system log, PHP log, or the MapGuide
> server log so I have no idea where to go next.
>
> If anyone has experience configuring MG OS 2.1 on this platform, or has ever
> seen similar issues with isapi_MapAgent.dll I would be very grateful for any
> suggestions. My fallback option is to install bundled MapGuide with Apache
> and set up a forwarding site in IIS, but I would really like to avoid this
> as both I and the client paying me are much more familiar with IIS than
> Apache.
>
> Thanks

Zac Spitzer
Solution Architect / Director
Ennoble Consultancy Australia
http://www.ennoble.com.au
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

cheesybiscuits
I appreciate the suggestion but there is additional complexity here - an existing PHP application which I am migrating is heavily dependent on the 2.1 PHP sample viewer (the application is essentially just the sample plus custom code, all in the same scripts) and according to the docs the viewers needed to change for the PHP 5.3 upgrade.

As yet I have no idea how painful it could be fixing the 2.1 application to work with the 2.2 API. Based on the 2.2 release notes it doesn't look too bad, but 1) things can always end up worse than they look and 2) I don't see any obvious reason for 2.2 working better than 2.1 on my server configuration.

Is there any particular reason for looking at 2.2 other than it being newer?

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

Jackie Ng
The only breaking API changes are exception handling code (you now call MgException.GetExceptionMessage() instead of MgException.GetMessage()), other than that your code should not require any other modifications to work with the 2.2 release.

The main reason you should be looking at 2.2 is that is the latest stable release. The user community here is not Autodesk. We don't have the practical resources in place to support anything older than the latest stable release.

- Jackie

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

andrewd
It would be interesting to try an x64 version - assuming that you don't need the gdal, and assuming that there's an x64 version of 2.1. I can also say that you may want to reconsider about using apache - if you used apache, I think you'd find it would be working fine right now...

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-02-13, at 4:29 PM, cheesybiscuits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am fighting with MG OS 2.1 on Windows Server 2008R2 (64-bit) and any
> suggestions would be really welcome.
>
> IIS (7.5) is running multiple versions of PHP as I have other sites already
> on the same server. The mapguide virtual directory is using the 5.2.5 TS
> version of PHP it ships with via FastCGI - I don't think the issue is here
> but thought it worth mentioning.
>
> All PHP and MapGuide site functionality seems to be working fine (I can
> administer the site, load packages, create aliases etc.) *except* for calls
> to mapagent/mapagent.fcgi. Under the default application pool configuration
> (MapGuideAppPool) all calls return a 500.0 error with no useful info at all.
> If I change this app pool's configuration (change .NET version used (which I
> don't think should make a difference) or set 'Enable 32-bit applications' to
> true) I get either a 504 (no response returned) or 503 (service unavailable)
> followed by the app pool crashing.
>
> The ISAPI handler for mapagent.fcgi requests is enabled and correctly points
> to C:\Program Files (x86)\OSGeo\MapGuide\Web\www\mapagent\isapi_MapAgent.dll
>
> I am testing via the Sheboygan sample application, having loaded the package
> and made no changes to the PHP. Fiddler is showing me the HTTP responses.
>
> Nothing is being logged either in the system log, PHP log, or the MapGuide
> server log so I have no idea where to go next.
>
> If anyone has experience configuring MG OS 2.1 on this platform, or has ever
> seen similar issues with isapi_MapAgent.dll I would be very grateful for any
> suggestions. My fallback option is to install bundled MapGuide with Apache
> and set up a forwarding site in IIS, but I would really like to avoid this
> as both I and the client paying me are much more familiar with IIS than
> Apache.
>
> Thanks

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

cheesybiscuits
OK thanks for the suggestions. The option I go with will depend on how much more time I can justify spending on the problem, with Apache / bundled install the current favourite.

It would be really nice if there was a way to see debug / error output from the ISAPI loading & execution part of the process, but I imagine this is more of an IIS problem than MG.

As for only being able to support the latest stable release - this is obviously totally reasonable, but for a while I thought 2.1 was the latest stable version having first looked at http://mapguide.osgeo.org/download which appears quite outdated.

Re: MGOS Windows Server 2008R2 - mapagent.fcgi / isapi_MapAgent.dll 50x errors

Jackie Ng
Oh my, the mapguide homepage is seriously out of date!

But yeah, 2.2 is the latest stable release which you can get from here: http://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/releases/2.2.0/Release/

- Jackie