[MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

12

[MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo incubation and am looking at all source files. One thing I noticed
in the README is that the Credits section is woefully out of date. There have been so many contributors that the section
could get really long and still wouldn't be correct. Any objection to using the source files as means to identify contributors instead
and cutting the credits section out of the README? Most source files contain the name of the primary contributors already.

Steve

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Tamas Szekeres
2008/2/1, Steve Lime <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo incubation and am looking at all source files. One thing I noticed
> in the README is that the Credits section is woefully out of date. There have been so many contributors that the section
> could get really long and still wouldn't be correct. Any objection to using the source files as means to identify contributors instead
> and cutting the credits section out of the README? Most source files contain the name of the primary contributors already.

Steve,

BTW: Shouldn't we use a standardized header in all of the source files
of the project? Currently not all of the sources contain a copyright
notice and the name of the primary contributor.
Which is the accepted header format?

Best regards,

Tamas

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
Adding that standardized header is on my immediate "todo" list. Frank provided instructions
last week (or so)... Most files do have that standard header already if you're wondering what
it looks like.

Steve

>>> On 2/1/2008 at 3:29 PM, in message
<[hidden email]>, "Tamas Szekeres"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/2/1, Steve Lime <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo incubation and
> am looking at all source files. One thing I noticed
>> in the README is that the Credits section is woefully out of date. There
> have been so many contributors that the section
>> could get really long and still wouldn't be correct. Any objection to using
> the source files as means to identify contributors instead
>> and cutting the credits section out of the README? Most source files contain
> the name of the primary contributors already.
>>

> Steve,
>
> BTW: Shouldn't we use a standardized header in all of the source files
> of the project? Currently not all of the sources contain a copyright
> notice and the name of the primary contributor.
> Which is the accepted header format?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Tamas Szekeres
2008/2/1, Steve Lime <[hidden email]>:
> Adding that standardized header is on my immediate "todo" list. Frank provided instructions
> last week (or so)... Most files do have that standard header already if you're wondering what
> it looks like.

Hmmm... I can find quite some variations out there. Here are some examples:

version 1:

/******************************************************************************
 *
 * Project:  MapServer
 * Purpose:  Various template processing functions.
 * Author:   Steve Lime and the MapServer team.
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1996-2005 Regents of the University of Minnesota.
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
 * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
 * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
 * all copies of this Software or works derived from this Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
 * OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
 * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
 ****************************************************************************/

version 2:

/******************************************************************************
* $Id: tile4ms.c 6373 2007-07-24 02:37:18Z dmorissette $
*
* tile4ms.mc
*
* Version 1.0
* Author Herbie Freytag [hidden email]
*
* Create shapefile of rectangles from extents of several shapefiles (=tiles)
* Create DBF with file names for shape tiles, in column LOCATION as required
* by mapserv.
* For use with Mapserv tiling capability.
* Issues: resulting shape files do not display in ArcView.
*
[...]
* This is a modified version of Herbie's program that works with MapServer's
* shapelib and should be using the MapServer makefile.
*
*/

version 3:

/******************************************************************************
 * $Id: pymodule.i 7205 2007-12-22 09:13:59Z unicoletti $
 *
 * Project:  MapServer
 * Purpose:  Python-specific enhancements to MapScript
 * Author:   Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
 *
 *
 * Python-specific mapscript code has been moved into this
 * SWIG interface file to improve the readibility of the main
 * interface file.  The main mapscript.i file includes this
 * file when SWIGPYTHON is defined (via 'swig -python ...').
 *
 *****************************************************************************/

Best regards,

Tamas

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
I'd call version 1 the standard header and all files will have that...

Steve

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> ***
>  * $Id: pymodule.i 7205 2007-12-22 09:13:59Z unicoletti $
>  *
>  * Project:  MapServer
>  * Purpose:  Python-specific enhancements to MapScript
>  * Author:   Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
>  *

> *
>  *
>  * Python-specific mapscript code has been moved into this
>  * SWIG interface file to improve the readibility of the main
>  * interface file.  The main mapscript.i file includes this
>  * file when SWIGPYTHON is defined (via 'swig -python ...').
>  *

> /
>

> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Are we planning to omit the $Id$ tag from the header, then?

Tamas

> [...]

> >  *
> >  * Project:  MapServer
> >  * Purpose:  Python-specific enhancements to MapScript
> >  * Author:   Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
> >  *
> >
> > *****************************************************************************
> > *
> >  *
> >  * Python-specific mapscript code has been moved into this
> >  * SWIG interface file to improve the readibility of the main
> >  * interface file.  The main mapscript.i file includes this
> >  * file when SWIGPYTHON is defined (via 'swig -python ...').
> >  *
> >
> > *****************************************************************************
> > /
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Tamas

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Kralidis,Tom [Ontario]
> Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo
> incubation and am looking at all source files. One thing I
> noticed in the README is that the Credits section is woefully
> out of date. There have been so many contributors that the
> section could get really long and still wouldn't be correct.
> Any objection to using the source files as means to identify
> contributors instead and cutting the credits section out of
> the README? Most source files contain the name of the primary
> contributors already.

Good idea. BTW, where are we at w.r.t. OSGeo incubation?
..Tom

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Daniel Morissette
Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Are we planning to omit the $Id$ tag from the header, then?

I think we should have the $Id: $ tag in all files. If you take
mapserver.h as the reference, it has it at the top.

With respect to the original question: the credits section of the
README, I agree that it's out of date and have no objection to seeing it
removed for now. However I would like to eventually have a way to give
credit (in some user-accessible place, not just source) to organizations
who have contributed to MapServer, but I don't know how to do this
efficiently... it's tough to keep such a list up to date, and to deal
with small vs large contributions in a fair way, etc. GDAL has
http://www.gdal.org/credits.html ... I'm not sure how Frank manages to
keep this up to date and fair though. Maybe he could comment on that?

Daniel
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
a help. ;-)

Steve

>>> On 2/4/2008 at 10:08 AM, in message
<[hidden email]>,
"Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo
>> incubation and am looking at all source files. One thing I
>> noticed in the README is that the Credits section is woefully
>> out of date. There have been so many contributors that the
>> section could get really long and still wouldn't be correct.
>> Any objection to using the source files as means to identify
>> contributors instead and cutting the credits section out of
>> the README? Most source files contain the name of the primary
>> contributors already.
>
> Good idea. BTW, where are we at w.r.t. OSGeo incubation?
> ..Tom

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Tamas Szekeres
I've updated the headers accordingly in the C# related sources.

Best regards,

Tamas

2008/2/4, Steve Lime <[hidden email]>:

> Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
> take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
> a help. ;-)
>
> Steve

> <[hidden email]>,
> "Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  Hi all: I'm trying to spend more time getting us out of OSGeo
> >> incubation and am looking at all source files. One thing I
> >> noticed in the README is that the Credits section is woefully
> >> out of date. There have been so many contributors that the
> >> section could get really long and still wouldn't be correct.
> >> Any objection to using the source files as means to identify
> >> contributors instead and cutting the credits section out of
> >> the README? Most source files contain the name of the primary
> >> contributors already.
> >
> > Good idea. BTW, where are we at w.r.t. OSGeo incubation?
> > ..Tom

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Normand Savard
Steve Lime wrote:

>Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
>take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
>a help. ;-)

Steve,

I think I could do that.  I could modify the header of the source files
that do not correspond to the standard one.  What do you think?

Norm

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
Hi Norm, that would be terrific if you have the time!

Steve

Norm

Steve Lime wrote:

>Hi Norm, that would be terrific if you have the time!
>
>Steve

>Steve Lime wrote:
>

>>Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
>>take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
>>a help. ;-)
>>

>Steve,
>
>I think I could do that.  I could modify the header of the source files
>that do not correspond to the standard one.  What do you think?
>
>Norm

Steve,

I have some free time.  Starting working on this today.  If I have some
questions I'll post them to this list.

Norm

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
Thanks Norm. I think the hard part will be getting the major authors into each
file. I can help with that for those that aren't immediately obvious.

Steve

Norm

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Normand Savard

>>>Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
>>>take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
>>>a help. ;-)

Steve,

I meet the following header.  My intention is to move the note below the
header.  Does it make sense?

Norm

/******************************************************************************
 * Project: MapServer
 * Purpose: Functions to allow copying/cloning of maps
 * Author:  Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
 *
 * Notes: These functions are not in mapfile.c because that file is
 * cumbersome enough as it is.  There is agreement that this code and
 * that in mapfile.c should eventually be split up by object into
 * mapobj.c, layerobj.c, etc.  Or something like that.
 *
 * Unit tests are written in Python using PyUnit and are in
 * mapscript/python/tests/testCopyMap.py.  The tests can be
 * executed from the python directory as
 *
 *   python2 tests/testCopyMap.py
 *
 * I just find Python to be very handy for unit testing, that's all.
 *
[...]
 * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
 ****************************************************************************/

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Perry Nacionales
I can probably help here as well, if you need me.

-Perry

Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:

> I can probably help here as well, if you need me.

Pericles,

Thank you.  I will post my questions to this list if you know the answer
to some of these do no hesitate to reply.

Norm

Steve Lime wrote:

>Thanks Norm. I think the hard part will be getting the major authors into each
>file. I can help with that for those that aren't immediately obvious.
>

>>Steve Lime wrote:
>>

>>>Incubation is hung up on the provenance review. So, for example, if someone wanted to
>>>take the lead on making sure every source file had the appropriate header that would be
>>>a help. ;-)

Steve and all,

I'll start a new thread if you don't mind for more clarity.  I'll post
my questions in there.

Norm

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Steve Lime
I think I would lave the notes where they are and just assume the "Notes:" as a valid portion of the
header even if most files don't have them. If moved below the license I don't think folks will see
them.

Steve

Savard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wanted to
> that would be
>>>>

> Steve,
>
> I meet the following header.  My intention is to move the note below the
> header.  Does it make sense?
>
> Norm
>
> /***************************************************************************
> ***
>  * Project: MapServer
>  * Purpose: Functions to allow copying/cloning of maps
>  * Author:  Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
>  *
>  * Notes: These functions are not in mapfile.c because that file is
>  * cumbersome enough as it is.  There is agreement that this code and
>  * that in mapfile.c should eventually be split up by object into
>  * mapobj.c, layerobj.c, etc.  Or something like that.
>  *
>  * Unit tests are written in Python using PyUnit and are in
>  * mapscript/python/tests/testCopyMap.py.  The tests can be
>  * executed from the python directory as
>  *
>  *   python2 tests/testCopyMap.py
>  *
>  * I just find Python to be very handy for unit testing, that's all.
>  *

> *
>  * Copyright (c) 1996-2005 Regents of the University of Minnesota.
>  *
>  * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
>  * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
> "Software"),
>  * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
>  * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
>  * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
>  * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>  *
>  * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
> included in
>  * all copies of this Software or works derived from this Software.
>  *
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
>  * OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
> MERCHANTABILITY,
>  * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
>  * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR
> OTHER
>  * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
>  * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
>  * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
> ****************************************************************************/

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Updating the MapServer README...

Frank Warmerdam
Steve Lime wrote:
> I think I would lave the notes where they are and just assume the "Notes:" as a valid portion of the
> header even if most files don't have them. If moved below the license I don't think folks will see
> them.

I agree... they are informative, and much more visible where they are.

This is especially important for anything that might impact the licensing
(such as origin from some other source).

12