[MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

[MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Normand Savard
I meet the header below for mapcopy.c.  I propose to move the notes out
of the header and put it below.  Is that correct?

Norm

/******************************************************************************
 * Project: MapServer
 * Purpose: Functions to allow copying/cloning of maps
 * Author:  Sean Gillies, [hidden email]
 *
 * Notes: These functions are not in mapfile.c because that file is
 * cumbersome enough as it is.  There is agreement that this code and
 * that in mapfile.c should eventually be split up by object into
 * mapobj.c, layerobj.c, etc.  Or something like that.
 *
 * Unit tests are written in Python using PyUnit and are in
 * mapscript/python/tests/testCopyMap.py.  The tests can be
 * executed from the python directory as
 *
 *   python2 tests/testCopyMap.py
 *
 * I just find Python to be very handy for unit testing, that's all.
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1996-2005 Regents of the University of Minnesota.
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
 * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
 * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in
 * all copies of this Software or works derived from this Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
 * OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR
OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
 * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
 ****************************************************************************/

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Normand Savard
Yet another question.  What do you think?  I propose to modify the
following header down below found in maporaclespatial.c to look like this:

/******************************************************************************
 * $Id: $
 *
 * Project:    MapServer
 * Purpose:  Oracle Spatial (SDO) support for MapServer.
 * Authors:  Fernando Simon ([hidden email])
 *                 Rodrigo Becke Cabral ([hidden email])
 *                 Adriana Gomes Alves
 *
 * Notes:
 * This piece for MapServer was originally developed under the funding of
 * agreement n.45/00 between CTTMAR/UNIVALI (www.cttmar.univali.br)
 * and CEPSUL/IBAMA (www.ibama.gov.br).
 * Current development is funded by CNPq (www.cnpq.br) under
 * process 401263.03-7
 * and FUNCITEC (www.funcitec.rct-sc.br) under process FCTP1523-031.
 *
 *  MapServer: MapServer 4.8-rc1
(cvs)                                       *
 *  Oracle: Oracle 9.2 Spatial Cartridge 9.2 release
9.0.1                   *
 *
 * Last five fixed bugs:
 *  #1662, #1736, #1845, #1961, #2056
 * Unsolved bugs yet:
 *  #1846, #2129, #2179
 *
 * Using OracleSpatial:
 * - CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial
 * - CONNECTION 'username/password@database'
 * - DATA 'geometry_column FROM <table>'
 *   or
 *   DATA 'geometry_column FROM <table> [USING UNIQUE <column>' SRID
#srid <function> VERSION <vcode>]'
 *       <function> can be:
 *           'FILTER', 'RELATE', GEOMRELATE' or 'NONE'
 *       <vcode> can be:
 *           '8i', '9i' or '10g'
 *
 *       <table> can be:
 *            One database table name
 *       or:
 *            (SELECT stmt)
 * - Parts of the CONNECTION string may be encrypted, see MS-RFC-18
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1996-2005 CTTMAR/UNIVALI  and CEPSUL/IBAMA.
 *
[...]
 *****************************************************************************/

Header found in maporaclespatial.c starts here:

/*****************************************************************************
 *             -- Oracle Spatial (SDO) support for MapServer
--              *
 *
*
 *  Authors: Fernando Simon
([hidden email])                              *
 *           Rodrigo Becke Cabral
([hidden email])                        *
 *  Collaborator: Adriana Gomes
Alves                                        *
 *  MapServer: MapServer 4.8-rc1
(cvs)                                       *
 *  Oracle: Oracle 9.2 Spatial Cartridge 9.2 release
9.0.1                   *
 *
*
 = This piece for MapServer was originally developed under the funding of
 = agreement n.45/00 between CTTMAR/UNIVALI (www.cttmar.univali.br)
 = and CEPSUL/IBAMA (www.ibama.gov.br).
 = Current development is funded by CNPq (www.cnpq.br) under
 = process 401263.03-7
 = and FUNCITEC (www.funcitec.rct-sc.br) under process FCTP1523-031.
 * $Id: maporaclespatial.c 6925 2007-10-04 00:35:02Z hobu $
 * Last five fixed bugs:
 *  #1662, #1736, #1845, #1961, #2056
 * Unsolved bugs yet:
 *  #1846, #2129, #2179
 *
 * Using OracleSpatial:
 * - CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial
 * - CONNECTION 'username/password@database'
 * - DATA 'geometry_column FROM <table>'
 *   or
 *   DATA 'geometry_column FROM <table> [USING UNIQUE <column>' SRID
#srid <function> VERSION <vcode>]'
 *       <function> can be:
 *           'FILTER', 'RELATE', GEOMRELATE' or 'NONE'
 *       <vcode> can be:
 *           '8i', '9i' or '10g'
 *
 *       <table> can be:
 *            One database table name
 *       or:
 *            (SELECT stmt)
 * - Parts of the CONNECTION string may be encrypted, see MS-RFC-18
 *
 * Notices above shall be included in all copies or portions of the
software.
 * This piece is provided "AS IS", without warranties of any kind. Got it?
 *****************************************************************************/

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Fernando Simon
Normand,
    No problem for me. Just a little change, I believe that the lines
"MapServer: MapServer 4.8-rc1 (cvs)" and "Oracle: Oracle 9.2 Spatial
Cartridge 9.2 release 9.0.1" can be remove.
    The Oracle Spatial driver work since 4.0 version of Mapserver and
from Oracle 8i.
    Best regards.

Fernando Simon

Fernando Simon wrote:

>Normand,
>    No problem for me. Just a little change, I believe that the lines
>"MapServer: MapServer 4.8-rc1 (cvs)" and "Oracle: Oracle 9.2 Spatial
>Cartridge 9.2 release 9.0.1" can be remove.
>    The Oracle Spatial driver work since 4.0 version of Mapserver and
>from Oracle 8i.
>    Best regards.
>
>Fernando Simon

Fernando,

Thank you.  What is the copyright year?

Norm

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Normand Savard
I propose to not change the following files header:  mapparser.c
(below), mapparser.h and mapparser.y.   They have their own license.
What do you think?

Norm

mapparser.c:
/* A Bison parser, made by GNU Bison 1.875.  */

/* Skeleton parser for Yacc-like parsing with Bison,
   Copyright (C) 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.

   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
   any later version.

   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
   Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

/* As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a
   Bison output file, you may use that output file without restriction.
   This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation
   in version 1.24 of Bison.  */

/* Written by Richard Stallman by simplifying the original so called
   ``semantic'' parser.  */

/* All symbols defined below should begin with yy or YY, to avoid
   infringing on user name space.  This should be done even for local
   variables, as they might otherwise be expanded by user macros.
   There are some unavoidable exceptions within include files to
   define necessary library symbols; they are noted "INFRINGES ON
   USER NAME SPACE" below.  */

mapparser.h:

/* A Bison parser, made by GNU Bison 1.875.  */

/* Skeleton parser for Yacc-like parsing with Bison,
   Copyright (C) 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.

   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
   any later version.

   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
   Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

/* As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a
   Bison output file, you may use that output file without restriction.
   This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation
   in version 1.24 of Bison.  */

mapparser.y:

/*
** Parser for the mapserver
*/

Normand Savard wrote:

> Fernando Simon wrote:
>
>> Normand,
>>    No problem for me. Just a little change, I believe that the lines
>> "MapServer: MapServer 4.8-rc1 (cvs)" and "Oracle: Oracle 9.2 Spatial
>> Cartridge 9.2 release 9.0.1" can be remove.
>>    The Oracle Spatial driver work since 4.0 version of Mapserver and
>> from Oracle 8i.
>>    Best regards.
>>
>> Fernando Simon
>>

> Fernando,
>
> Thank you.  What is the copyright year?
>
> Norm

Normand,
    Well, the last change/improvement that I did in the code was last
year. I don't know, maybe 2007 is better for copyright.
    The first version of this driver was made by Rodrigo Cabral for the
3.6 version of Mapserver, and I started as developer of the driver code
in 2003/2004.
    Best regards.

Fernando Simon

Fernando Simon wrote:

>Normand,
>    Well, the last change/improvement that I did in the code was last
>year. I don't know, maybe 2007 is better for copyright.
>    The first version of this driver was made by Rodrigo Cabral for the
>3.6 version of Mapserver, and I started as developer of the driver code
>in 2003/2004.
>    Best regards.
>
>Fernando Simon

Fernando,

I saw in SVN that the initial revision was in 2001.  So I suggest to
write 2001-2007.  What do you think?

Norm

Citando Normand Savard <[hidden email]>:

> Fernando Simon wrote:
>
> >Normand,
> >    Well, the last change/improvement that I did in the code was
> last
> >year. I don't know, maybe 2007 is better for copyright.
> >    The first version of this driver was made by Rodrigo Cabral
> for the
> >3.6 version of Mapserver, and I started as developer of the driver
> code
> >in 2003/2004.
> >    Best regards.
> >
> >Fernando Simon
> >

> Fernando,
>
> I saw in SVN that the initial revision was in 2001.  So I suggest
> write 2001-2007.  What do you think?
>
> Norm

Normand,
    Yes, I agree. Will be better this copyright.
    Just little thing, change www.cttmar.univali.br to
www.univali.br/cttmar in the header.
    Best regards.

Fernando

  Univali - Webmail - http://webmail.univali.br

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Steve Lime
God, I have licensing. These files are generated so you can't edit anything
in them. I believe that Perry determined that the output of the Bison/Flex
tools is not GPL even though the tools themselves are.

Steve

Savard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>    GNU General Public License for more details.
>
>    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
>    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
>    Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */
>
> /* As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a
>    Bison output file, you may use that output file without restriction.
>    This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation
>    in version 1.24 of Bison.  */
>

> mapparser.y:
>
> /*
> ** Parser for the mapserver
> */

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Frank Warmerdam
Steve Lime wrote:
> God, I have licensing. These files are generated so you can't edit anything
> in them. I believe that Perry determined that the output of the Bison/Flex
> tools is not GPL even though the tools themselves are.

Steve,

Right .. the file shouldn't (and can't) be changed.  It includes a
specific GPL exception for when it appears in a bison generated parser.  We
should just not this peculiarity and why it isn't a problem for us in the
provenance review.

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Perry Nacionales
Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Steve Lime wrote:
>> God, I have licensing. These files are generated so you can't edit
>> anything
>> in them. I believe that Perry determined that the output of the
>> Bison/Flex
>> tools is not GPL even though the tools themselves are.
>

> Steve,
>
> Right .. the file shouldn't (and can't) be changed.  It includes a
> specific GPL exception for when it appears in a bison generated
> parser.  We
> should just not this peculiarity and why it isn't a problem for us in the
> provenance review.
>
> Best regards,
Actually, the copyright notice should go to the mapparser.y and
maplexer.l.  Maybe we can add comments to the generated C code?

-Perry

Re: [MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
Steve Lime wrote:
> God, I have licensing.

Hehe, is it contagious?