Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

12

Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

blammo
All,

I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)

I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing.  It used to be there.  Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .

Thanks

bobb

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

blammo
Edit . . .

Oops, I mean just FOSS4G.   Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine.  At least based on the links from here:  Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??

http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html

bobb

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>
> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing.  It used to be there.  Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>
> Thanks
>
> bobb

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Darrell Fuhriman
Aww crap.

Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences.

FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015).

Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.

Darrell

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Edit . . .
>
> Oops, I mean just FOSS4G.   Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine.  At least based on the links from here:  Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>
> http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>

> bobb
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>
>> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing.  It used to be there.  Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

stevenfeldman
Is Vimeo preferred to YouTube? Why?

Andrew Ross post 90+ 2013 videos on YouTube at zero cost

Regards
Steven

+44 (0) 7958 924101
Sent from my iPhone

> On 18 Sep 2015, at 18:57, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Aww crap.
>
> Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences.
>
> FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015).
>
> Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.
>
> Darrell
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Edit . . .
>>
>> Oops, I mean just FOSS4G.   Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine.  At least based on the links from here:  Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>>
>> http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>>

>> bobb
>>

>>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>>
>>> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing.  It used to be there.  Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> bobb

Re: [Board] Looking for the keeper of the videos fromFOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

blammo

On Sep 18, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

All 100 or so videos are now gone ?

I don’t think so, and there are still 89 there.

I don’t know the particulars of Vimeo service, but , if the account only recently expired, I would imagine that paying up would restore them to view.  But this is a completely optimistic point of view on my part.  :c)

bobb

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:57:10 -0700, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aww crap.

Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences.

FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015).

Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.

Darrell

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Edit . . .
>
> Oops, I mean just FOSS4G. Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine. At least based on the links from here: Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>
> http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>

> bobb
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>
>> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing. It used to be there. Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com

Re: [Board] Looking for the keeper of the videos fromFOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Darrell Fuhriman
this is true.

I’ll respond more fully in a bit when I’m not in a meeting. :)

d.

On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:22, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 18, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

All 100 or so videos are now gone ?

I don’t think so, and there are still 89 there.

I don’t know the particulars of Vimeo service, but , if the account only recently expired, I would imagine that paying up would restore them to view.  But this is a completely optimistic point of view on my part.  :c)

bobb

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:57:10 -0700, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aww crap.

Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences.

FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015).

Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.

Darrell

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Edit . . .
>
> Oops, I mean just FOSS4G. Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine. At least based on the links from here: Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>
> http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>

> bobb
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>
>> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing. It used to be there. Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com

Re: [Board] Looking for the keeper of the videos fromFOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Peter Batty
This FAQ explains what happens when your vimeo pro membership expires. If you renew within a year, you get back any videos that went away.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is true.

I’ll respond more fully in a bit when I’m not in a meeting. :)

d.

On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:22, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 18, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

All 100 or so videos are now gone ?

I don’t think so, and there are still 89 there.

I don’t know the particulars of Vimeo service, but , if the account only recently expired, I would imagine that paying up would restore them to view.  But this is a completely optimistic point of view on my part.  :c)

bobb

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:57:10 -0700, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aww crap.

Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences.

FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015).

Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.

Darrell

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Edit . . .
>
> Oops, I mean just FOSS4G. Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine. At least based on the links from here: Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>
> http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>

> bobb
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>
>> I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing. It used to be there. Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . .
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

aross
YouTube has a much bigger community, is free, and the search/indexing can't be beat.

I like Vimeo, have used it a fair amount, but this is no contest.. YouTube wins imho.

On September 18, 2015 11:06:30 AM PDT, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

blammo
Andrew,

I have a problem with the YouTube License.  Once it’s up there, they get to use it however they want, forever.

Also, I (still) don’t see a method for downloading anything for saving as a local copy from YouTube (at least not legally).

Vimeo let’s you download/copy, and even pick who sees your content., etc.  I’ll be the first to admit though, that not everyone will care about this, until they do, and then it will be too late.

bobb

On Sep 18, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bob’s reasons were the ones I had when I chose Vimeo over YouTube, in particular the last one.

(Yes, more to follow still, it’s been a busy day.)

d.

On Sep 18, 2015, at 14:43, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bob,

They are creative commons licensed and downloading is trivial. Just landed returning from Seoul so I'll post how to do so tomorrow.

Kind regards,

On September 18, 2015 5:43:49 PM EDT, "Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fenoy Gerald
I do apologize to speak out after so many times,
but let say that I fully agree with you Steven that we have to find some sustainable way to share our *amazing* contents …

Hopefully I won’t have much feedbacks for this year WPS benchmarking (should I name it the WPS musical or something similar...) coming to me to ask for the slides that are only available in this video because I was thinking that somebody will ask us to keep the server we put in place for the last year WPS benchmarking …

Anyway, hopefully I don’t speak much this days …

Hopefully I went to the FOSS4G this year which was so great to me and to the whole community I guess,

Best regards to my so loved community !

(@jorge or anybody which taking good care of the mailing lists, I suppose that I cannot still use my osgeo.org mail for sending this email so still use this one, even it is only an alias, really in 2015 it is only an alias and we cannot provide a real SMTP server to our users, I do apologize for this even if I do not really know who is holding this specific privileges… it would be so nice we can have access to the informations we are interesting in without having to ask for this information but we can simply search for it …)

> [...]
>>>
>>>  Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year.
>>>
>>>  Darrell
>>>

>>>  On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Edit . . .
>>>
>>>  Oops, I mean just FOSS4G.   Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine.  At least based on the links from here:  Maybe something has changed on Vimeo??
>>>
>>>  http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html
>>>

>>>  bobb
>>>

>>>  On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  All,
>>>
>>>  I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014)
>>>
>>>  I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing.  It used to be there.  Unless I’m using a

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

David Percy

It seems like we should have a permanent archive on our own servers, in addition to a public consumption interface like one of the services we have been discussing.
This starts to get into a long term digital stewardship issue. We need to perhaps have a longer view... With content tags and stuff. But not so difficult that it becomes a task that is hard to manage, and therefore never gets done. Maybe a simple CMS... Aren't we using drupal already?

Unless we think these talks are more ephemeral due to the rapidly changing technology.

In which case we can leave the issue in the more ad hoc status that it is, and just let each LOC deal with it.
Just a thought,
Percy

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler
-GIS Instructor
Portland State University
-gisgeek.pdx.edu
-geology.pdx.edu

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Fenoy Gerald
David,
I personally feel that it is better to react than doing nothing,even if,as you said "the technology is moving fast", still many did so amazing work that we should keep trace of it …

Nevertheless, I wonder if we can ask so much work to our so loved SAC community without expensing at least a small amount of money …Sorry I know I spoke too much about it during this week, but still … if our president deserve to have some income, SAC do deserve also !

So what will be the next move exactly, if any ?

> [...]
>>>  [hidden email]
>>>  http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>

>>>  Conference_dev mailing list
>>>  [hidden email]
>>>  http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>

>>>  Conference_dev mailing list
>>>  [hidden email]
>>>  http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>>
>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

> David Percy ("Percy")
> -Geospatial Data Manager
> -Web Map Wrangler
> -GIS Instructor
> Portland State University
> -gisgeek.pdx.edu
> -geology.pdx.edu

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Dear David, Everyone

I believe the point you make is valid. And it also applies to any artifacts including code, bugs, downloads, etc.

Anything service (free or paid) might change their policies or disappear. Codehaus & Google code have shut down. SourceForge has been doing really questionable things. For video Blip.tv & Justin.tv changed their policies.  You could even apply the argument to social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Skype, Google Hangout, etc.

However, the simple fact is it would be a very poor waste to invest precious community effort re-inventing and maintaining YouTube, Github, JIRA, Twitter, and whatever else so long as free high quality/availability services are available.

In my opinion, use them. Our use of them gives tremendous benefits and is subsidized by the business models of those offering them (often selling ads). It would be very difficult for us to tap into those funds to do the same.

Specifically in terms of video, my opinion is YouTube is by far the best place for them today.

On 20/09/15 02:37, David Percy wrote:

[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%207958%20924101" value="+447958924101" target="_blank">+44 (0) 7958 924101
Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Sep 2015, at 18:57, Darrell Fuhriman <[hidden email]> wrote: Aww crap. Our vimeo pro account expired, and apparently that took some of the videos offline. I didn’t think that was going to happen — I guess I mis-read the consequences. FWIW, I think OSGeo should keep this account up and consolidate all the foss4g videos there (including the forthcoming 2015). Board: is this a service that OSGeo is willing to pay for? It’s $200/year. Darrell
On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:11, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote: Edit . . . Oops, I mean just FOSS4G. Looks like a few of the videos that were on Vimeo have gone missing, besides mine. At least based on the links from here: Maybe something has changed on Vimeo?? http://2014.foss4g.org/schedule/sessions/index.html bobb
On Sep 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote: All, I’m looking for the Keeper of the conference videos from FOSS4GNA PDX (2014) I see a lot of them on Vimeo, but the one I did seems to be missing. It used to be there. Unless I’m using a bad search filter . . . Thanks bobb
Conference_dev mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler
-GIS Instructor
Portland State University
-gisgeek.pdx.edu
-geology.pdx.edu

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

aross
There are many techniques and options. IMHO, the easiest way to download any YouTube video is to go to & enter the URL to the video you want:
http://www.clipconverter.cc/

On 19/09/15 11:10, Andrew Ross wrote:
[...]

Rob Emanuele
There's also youtube-dl (https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/), which I've used with a lot of success. It's a python script, which is nice in that it's cross platform and enables the automation of downloads.

The YouTube terms of service in section 5.B state "You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. ".

You can set the license to "Creative Commons - Attribution" during upload (the license is set to "Standard YouTube License" by default). This would take care of the consent part of the TOS via licensing. Displaying a "download or similar" link in the body of the video description seem like it would satisfy the TOS while legitimizing downloads (if you wanted to to follow the TOS more stringently then it seems like most people are).

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I like to think of these types of media as a Library of sorts.  And keeping them available is in the best interests of the community.  I have no way of calculating the benefits however.

Back to Youtube uploading complication (as I see them), there are defaults like 15min length, etc.  Things that the average joe may have problems with as far as uploading something. The limit can be increased, but that would require a media lib rain of some sort to manage the account.

Also, how would/could the process of indexing and binding to projects be best accomplished with YouTube?  Via an outside database, or??  I ask this now since it’s seems relevant if this topic leads to it’s logical conclusion of bringing media together into a single repository.

bobb

> [...]
>>>
>>> Also, I (still) don’t see a method for downloading anything for saving as a local copy from YouTube (at least not legally).
>>>
>>> Vimeo let’s you download/copy, and even pick who sees your content., etc.  I’ll be the first to admit though, that not everyone will care about this, until they do, and then it will be too late.
>>>
>>> bobb

>> --
>> David Percy ("Percy")
>> -Geospatial Data Manager
>> -Web Map Wrangler
>> -GIS Instructor
>> Portland State University
>> -gisgeek.pdx.edu
>> -geology.pdx.edu
>

> Gérald Fenoy
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

Re: Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Dear Bob,

Some of this may be things you & others may already know.

The 15 minute limit is quickly waived if you ask for it & even
automatically in a lot of cases. Google it & you'll see info about this.

For what it's worth, videos in YouTube can be shared trivially via.
email or social media and embedded into any external site. This is very
common and a good idea.

Additionally, in my opinion, within YouTube, it is best practice to
complete meta data for the video (talk title, description) and tag the
videos with keywords (project, topic, technology, event, etc.) This
makes them a lot easier to find and relate to other talks shared by
other people on the same topics.

Kind regards,