Looking for contributors

Pierre Abbat
I'd like to find some people to contribute to Bezitopo or PerfectTIN. They are
in the initial stages of incubation. They're both on my GitHub site, https://
github.com/phma/. Bezitopo also has a website at http://
bezitopo.org.

For Bezitopo, I'd like to define an internal (and maybe an external)
representation of raw data files for both total stations and GPS systems. The
input for least-squares adjustment will be in this format; I'll use a survey
I've done as test data. Anyone interested in designing the data structure,
please join the Bezitopo mailing list.

If you can enter instances of projections (Lambert conformal conic and Gauss-
Krüger transverse Mercator), that would help the program be usable in more
locations. Also, if you know benchmarks in the Alaska panhandle or in
Switzerland, that would help me make sure that oblique Mercator is correct.
See testprojection() in bezitest.cpp for how I used Oakland and BV067202 as
test data for conformal conic and transverse Mercator, respectively.

Also, any ellipsoids that Bezitopo doesn't already have, to go with the
projections, would be a help.

Both programs need button icons drawn for the different feet. They have icons,
but they're all the same, so the only way to see which foot you've selected is
the tool tip.

Even if you just want to understand the code, to increase the bus number, I'd
appreciate that. Some of the methods have quite high McCabe numbers, and the
quarter function which I'm writing (I still have to make it lock the TIN) is
pretty complicated.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci

Re: Looking for contributors

jody.garnett
Thanks for reaching out Pierre:

Perhaps you could spend a moment introducing the projects and describe what they are used for?
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 23:34, Pierre Abbat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The projects are indeed now listed in the osgeo directory (for folks to learn more):

OSGeo incubation is a longer term activity.

On Friday, 14 February 2020 06.18.23 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks for reaching out Pierre:
>
> Perhaps you could spend a moment introducing the projects and describe what
> they are used for?

Bezitopo is a CAD package under development specifically designed for land
surveying. It does not aim at compatibility with general-purpose CAD packages,
so it does not have, for example, ellipses, but does have Euler spirals, which
are used in highway design (and which Bezitopo uses to smooth contours). It
consists of several programs:
bezitest, a test program;
bezitopo, a command-line program, which I use for checking closure and
converting PNEZD to/from PENZD;
clotilde, which computes approximations to spirals;
convertgeoid, which converts and excerpts geoid files;
pangeoid, which will be a GUI version of convertgeoid but yet does nothing;
sitecheck, which reads a TIN and would let you walk around it with a GPS
system, if it had a way of interfacing to one;
transmer, which computes transverse Mercator coefficients;
viewtin, which will become the CAD program (to be renamed bezitopo or
bezitopo-gui).

PerfectTIN, which I started a year ago by copying large hunks of Bezitopo
code, reads a point cloud representing terrain and computes a TIN which
approximates the point cloud to within a specified tolerance. You can then read
the TIN into SiteCheck and compute the elevation at any XY coordinate in the
TIN. A friend of mine, who sells surveying equipment, has a possible customer
for the program. Since I posted two weeks ago, I got the quarter function
working and have almost eliminated the spikes that PerfectTIN was producing.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji