Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
Hi Gavin,
it would be really really cool, if you could make up a Logo for FOSS4G 08
real quick and maybe even provide a link to a site.

There are quite a few pages out there pointing to FOSS4G 07 and people
will start to take them down soon. If they get something nice to replace
it with they might just keep it where it is and exchange the logo. This
would save us a lot of work contacting people etc. I am pretty sure that
Paul or someone from the conference committee can give you a list of
people who have been contacted (it migfht even be in the Wiki but even I
sometimes lose track nowadays... :-)

There are several possible addresses for FOSS4G that I think have already
been registered. My favorite would be
http://www.foss4g.org
and we can get it to make something like
http://www.foss4g.org/2008 or
http://2008.foss4g.org or whatever you think.

BUT. Yes, it needs to be discussed (o man, how I sometimes hate to start
things like these... :-) because there is a well reasoned argument for
changing the whole name of the conference to the "OSGeo Conference" or
something like that. We had voted on this some time back and came up with
several arguments to keep it FOSS4G, therefore "yours" will be "FOSS4G
2008" but nobody knows what to do with the next yet (might also be that I
am nobody in this case, you never know). But we should discuss this
somewhere and time else (anybody feel like taking this to Discuss, I
rather wont).

If anybody remembers who registered http://www.foss4g2008.org/ please
speak up, I think that would be a good placeholder that could just point
to whatever it becomes in the end.

Best regards, Arnulf

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

PS:
Just read up on what has already been discussed on conf. Good. Venka, you
sound like you want to do '09... :-)

Gavin,
I am very sure that I would like the mailing list to rather stay under the
hood of OSGeo instead of at Google. Do you think there might still be a
chance to change that, will anybody be offended or will it disrupt
communication? Its just that I am the unofficial corporate paranoid of
OSGeo and try to keep a brand. One of our (OSGeo's) assets is that we can
offer all kinds of FOSS GIS stuff under one roof (building a brand and so
on).

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On 3-Oct-07, at 11:57 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> If anybody remembers who registered http://www.foss4g2008.org/ please
> speak up, I think that would be a good placeholder that could just
> point
> to whatever it becomes in the end.

OSGeo has that name registered and it is pointing to a server that
will host foss4g2008 website.

> There are several possible addresses for FOSS4G that I think have
> already
> been registered. My favorite would be
> http://www.foss4g.org

Venka clarified what the requirements were for obtaining foss4g.org,
which I passed on to this list for discussion a while back.  In
general, I believe that having foss4g.org under our banner is a good
idea regardless of the final name.  However, the particulars of
meeting the requirements he outlined are, I believe, something the
committee needs to discuss.

Then perhaps the naming debate could continue after that :)

Personally, I think we need to start looking at conference web site
as part of the main OSGeo site, regardless of the domain names used
for the particular.  What we have now is a scattered history of
events located on different servers, one per year, managed by several
different groups.  Meaning our proceedings, historic info,
applications, etc. are all re-designed every year and potentially
(eventually?) lost.  I'll bring up the issues in a separate email.

Tyler

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Jeff McKenna-2
Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Venka clarified what the requirements were for obtaining foss4g.org,
> which I passed on to this list for discussion a while back.  In general,
> I believe that having foss4g.org under our banner is a good idea
> regardless of the final name.  However, the particulars of meeting the
> requirements he outlined are, I believe, something the committee needs
> to discuss.

Here are Venka's requirements:

 >> With regards to transfer of FOSS4G domain to OSGeo,
 >> Prof. Shinji Masumoto and myself will be willing
 >> agree for OSGeo to use and run the domain
 >> provided;
 >>
 >> a) The provinance of the FOSS4G acronym is
 >> properly mentioned and the credit of coining
 >> the acronym is duly acknowledge on future
 >> foss4g.org site that would be managed by OSGeo.
 >>
 >> b) No restriction is made on the free usage of
 >> the FOSS4G acronym for the legitimate purpose of
 >> promoting Free and Open Source Software for
 >> Geoinformatics.
 >>
 >> c) OSGeo offer two complimentary registration
 >> passes future FOSS4G Conferences (including
 >> workshop) to OSGeo-Japan. Usage of the
 >> complimentary pass would be decided by
 >> OSGeo-Japan.
 >>
 >> Modalities to enable OSGeo to run this domain
 >> can be workedout in due course, I think.
 >>
 >> Kind regards
 >>
 >> Venka

I have no problems with a) or b).

Regarding c) I wonder if maybe the passes should be available for 2008
only.  Thoughts?  We do need to thank the original owners for the foss4g
domain for their vision.

> Then perhaps the naming debate could continue after that :)

I'm not so sure of that. I think we handled the naming issue decision
properly.

--
jeff

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)

On 3-Oct-07, at 12:54 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

>> Then perhaps the naming debate could continue after that :)
>
> I'm not so sure of that. I think we handled the naming issue
> decision properly.

I just meant deal with the domain name and hosting issues before
diving into other endless debates :)

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

gavinf
Hi Arnulf et al.

Domain:
From my perspective FOSS4G2008 needs to stay as a brand for next year but maybe it's a good time to introduce some new alternatives so that people get familiar with them for future events and so that there are more chances they'll find us (the more urls they try). That's OSGeo's decision. Yes www.foss4g2008.org is already registered and pointing to a server in SA that we were hoping to have ready to announce last week. Frank set that up. So at least let's keep that domain.

Website:
Regarding the site itself I agree it makes sense to just keep it on OSGeo infrastructure to simplify matters, reduce costs, save time. And likely be faster access to the North. So, have you guys reached any decision to go for the conference platform that Tyler was investigating? It looks good on the surface. We're prepared to dive in and be the guinea pigs with it but must decide soon.

Next option with the site is to just fork Paul's site from his svn, which he's quite happy for us to do. I'm not sure where it's hosted but being Drupal should fit in with OSGeo's platform? Then all we do is change skins and content and we're done! To me these are the best two options. I'd like your input or an OSGeo decision about which way to go. We'd obviously need admin rights for at least two SA locals and would have the skill to work on either platform.

Other options, which are low on my list, are doing our own site from scratch and hosting it here, or building it on the GISSA site.

Logo:
We are working on this, will find out tomorrow at LOC meeting how things are going.

Mailing list:
I'm happy to move from Google. Please set up an OSGeo list and give me admin rights and some tips on migrating.

Document management:
We need a platform for sharing and collaborating on budgets, schedules, etc. rather than sending e-mail attachments around. What does the OSGeo site offer in this regard?

This would all be good input into our LOC meeting tomorrow.

cheers

Gavin

On 03/10/2007, Arnulf Christl <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gavin Fleming
w: +27-11-709-4668
f: 0866164820
xmpp (Jabber, Google Talk, etc.): [hidden email]
Skype: phlemingo
Randburg
South Africa
27.9782E 26.0896S
Join the Community Exchange System
http://www.ces.org.za

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Jeff McKenna wrote:
>>> c) OSGeo offer two complimentary registration passes future
>>> FOSS4G Conferences (including workshop) to OSGeo-Japan. Usage of
>>> the complimentary pass would be decided by OSGeo-Japan.
> Regarding c) I wonder if maybe the passes should be available for
> 2008 only.  Thoughts?  We do need to thank the original owners for
> the foss4g domain for their vision.

2008 only, if the plan is to use foss4g.org for
2008 only. 2009 if the plan is to use foss4g.org for
2009 and so on.

Another thought which Tyler and me discussed briefly
at the Sticky Wicket was about using the Open Conference
System (http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs)
The new version of OCS now supports
annual conferences. I think OSGeo must set-up
a OCS site and bring all the conference material
(atleast from 2006 onwards) under one umbrella.
The OCS infrastructure will also be able to
provide conference management framework for
future OSGeo conferences.

Regards

Venka

RE: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Paul Ramsey-2
> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Regarding c) I wonder if maybe the passes should be available for
>> 2008 only.  Thoughts?  We do need to thank the original owners for
>> the foss4g domain for their vision.

I don't think so. I think if our preferred domain is being held hostage,
we should find a different one. I think if this "offer" was on the table
when we were choosing the conference name ("and by the way, we want
passes in perpetuity and recognition in perpetuity") we would have been
far more leery of choosing the name in the first place.

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research
   http://www.refractions.net
   [hidden email]
   Phone: 250-383-3022
   Cell: 250-885-0632

Re: RE: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Dean Mikkelsen
Hi everyone,

I would suggest foss4geo.orgto make things simple.

All conferences afterwards can be titled foss4geo2008.org, foss4geo2009.org, etc. or they can be tied under the foss4geo.orgtree as such:  foss4geo.org/2008, foss4geo.org/2009, etc.
The domain is available and one can easily move forward with the above suggestion, without stepping on existing sites that are promoting FOSS for Geospatial.

Cheers,
Dean

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I don't think so. I think if our preferred domain is being held hostage,
> we should find a different one.

Not being held *hostage* but being put to good use
since March 2004.

See http://www.foss4g.org/FOSS4G/
The site has 650594 page views since March 2004
and we are asking the owners to transfer the
domain to OSGeo.

Venka

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Paul Ramsey-2
foss4g2007.org has that many page views since January 2007.
If you don't want to transfer it, if it's that valuable to you, then
don't transfer it.
If you think it would be valuable to the foss4g conference, and help
osgeo, then transfer it.
Lots of other people transfer things of value (their time, their
code) to osgeo to help the effort.

On 3-Oct-07, at 5:02 PM, venka.osgeo wrote:

> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> I don't think so. I think if our preferred domain is being held
>> hostage, we should find a different one.
>
> Not being held *hostage* but being put to good use
> since March 2004.
>
> See http://www.foss4g.org/FOSS4G/
> The site has 650594 page views since March 2004
> and we are asking the owners to transfer the
> domain to OSGeo.
>
> Venka

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Hi All,

About the transfer of foss4g.org domain to OSGeo,
I just has a discussion with the other owner.

I am happy to inform that we (Shinji Masumoto and
myself) have decided to donate the domain to
OSGeo.

We do hope, however that there will be no
restrictions is made on the free usage of
the FOSS4G acronym for the legitimate purpose of
promoting Free and Open Source Software for
Geoinformatics.

I hope this settles the long discussion and we can
go ahead with continuing to with the name OSGeo.

Let us know how we can workout with the transfer.

Kind regards

Venka

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> foss4g2007.org has that many page views since January 2007.
> If you don't want to transfer it, if it's that valuable to you, then
> don't transfer it.
> If you think it would be valuable to the foss4g conference, and help
> osgeo, then transfer it.
> Lots of other people transfer things of value (their time, their code)
> to osgeo to help the effort.
>
> On 3-Oct-07, at 5:02 PM, venka.osgeo wrote:
>
>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>> I don't think so. I think if our preferred domain is being held
>>> hostage, we should find a different one.
>>
>> Not being held *hostage* but being put to good use
>> since March 2004.
>>
>> See http://www.foss4g.org/FOSS4G/
>> The site has 650594 page views since March 2004
>> and we are asking the owners to transfer the
>> domain to OSGeo.
>>
>> Venka

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
venka.osgeo wrote:
> I hope this settles the long discussion and we can
> go ahead with continuing to with the name OSGeo.

Continue with the name OSGeo, that is.

> Let us know how we can workout with the transfer.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Venka
>
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> foss4g2007.org has that many page views since January 2007.
>> If you don't want to transfer it, if it's that valuable to you, then
>> don't transfer it.
>> If you think it would be valuable to the foss4g conference, and help
>> osgeo, then transfer it.
>> Lots of other people transfer things of value (their time, their code)
>> to osgeo to help the effort.

>>> Not being held *hostage* but being put to good use
>>> since March 2004.
>>>
>>> See http://www.foss4g.org/FOSS4G/
>>> The site has 650594 page views since March 2004
>>> and we are asking the owners to transfer the
>>> domain to OSGeo.
>>>
>>> Venka

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Frank Warmerdam
On 10/3/07, venka.osgeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am happy to inform that we (Shinji Masumoto and
> myself) have decided to donate the domain to
> OSGeo.
>
> We do hope, however that there will be no
> restrictions is made on the free usage of
> the FOSS4G acronym for the legitimate purpose of
> promoting Free and Open Source Software for
> Geoinformatics.

Venka,

This sounds great!  I can't see any desire to restrict use of the
term  FOSS4G though hopefully "FOSS4G 20xx" will taken
to refer to the FOSS4G conference(s).

I'm no good with DNS stuff, but perhaps Shawn Barnes or
Howard Butler can assist with that aspect?

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Jeff McKenna-2
Thank you Shinji Masumoto and Venka, for resolving this issue.  It is
very appreciated.  Having been to your 2004 FOSS4G conference in
Thailand I can appreciate your vision and passion for foss4g.  This
donation will not be forgotten.

--
jeff

venka.osgeo wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> About the transfer of foss4g.org domain to OSGeo,
> I just has a discussion with the other owner.
>
> I am happy to inform that we (Shinji Masumoto and
> myself) have decided to donate the domain to
> OSGeo.
>
> We do hope, however that there will be no
> restrictions is made on the free usage of
> the FOSS4G acronym for the legitimate purpose of
> promoting Free and Open Source Software for
> Geoinformatics.
>
> I hope this settles the long discussion and we can
> go ahead with continuing to with the name OSGeo.
>
> Let us know how we can workout with the transfer.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Venka

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Jeff McKenna-2
venka.osgeo wrote:

> Another thought which Tyler and me discussed briefly
> at the Sticky Wicket was about using the Open Conference
> System (http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs)
> The new version of OCS now supports
> annual conferences. I think OSGeo must set-up
> a OCS site and bring all the conference material
> (atleast from 2006 onwards) under one umbrella.
> The OCS infrastructure will also be able to
> provide conference management framework for
> future OSGeo conferences.
>
> Regards
>
> Venka

Yes Tyler and I were testing this out during 2007 preparations, but we
discovered it too late to use for that conference.  I agree that we
should attempt to use this for 2008, and all future conferences if it
meets our needs.

--
jeff

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Paul Ramsey-2
Venka, Shinja, thank you so much, that's excellent news and will make
running foss4g in the future so much easier!

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research

Re: Logo for FOSS4G 2008

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
On Thu, October 4, 2007 21:05, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Venka, Shinja, thank you so much, that's excellent news and will make
> running foss4g in the future so much easier!

Hello,
I join Paul in thanking you, this really is good news!

Best Regards,
Arnulf.

> venka.osgeo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>

>> About the transfer of foss4g.org domain to OSGeo,
>> I just has a discussion with the other owner.
>>

>> I am happy to inform that we (Shinji Masumoto and
>> myself) have decided to donate the domain to OSGeo.
>>

>> We do hope, however that there will be no
>> restrictions is made on the free usage of the FOSS4G acronym for the
>> legitimate purpose of promoting Free and Open Source Software for
>> Geoinformatics.
>>

>> I hope this settles the long discussion and we can
>> go ahead with continuing to with the name OSGeo.
>>
>> Let us know how we can workout with the transfer.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>

>> Venka
>>

>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>>> foss4g2007.org has that many page views since January 2007. If you
>>> don't want to transfer it, if it's that valuable to you, then don't
>>> transfer it. If you think it would be valuable to the foss4g
>>> conference, and help osgeo, then transfer it. Lots of other people
>>> transfer things of value (their time, their code) to osgeo to help the
>>> effort. P

> --
>

> Paul Ramsey
> Refractions Research