Locate, and OSGeo Oceania

adam steer-2
Hi folks

It’s very late in the game to try and organise things - but given recent momentum worth a shot:

What do people thing about aiming to have a presence at Locate19 (April, Adelaide)? Useful/not useful? It’s kind of a big geospatial event

And if useful, what should it look like? I have a banner stand, should it be ‘can we have a small table and something to put stickers on’? … or (as Cameron has done in the past) ‘can we have a talk slot about the open source geo ecosystem and OSGeo Oceania'?

…or should we just apply our energy to nurturing a new organisation and a conference of our own?

Cheers

Re: Locate, and OSGeo Oceania

Alex Leith
Hey Adam

It's in Melbourne the 8-10th of April.

I'm not sure what we can do there in order to promote the community and our event. We could ask SSSI if we can put a banner up at their stand, maybe? Would we want a 2019 event banner, though, mentioning Wellington?

Regards,

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 13:29 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks

It’s very late in the game to try and organise things - but given recent momentum worth a shot:

What do people thing about aiming to have a presence at Locate19 (April, Adelaide)? Useful/not useful? It’s kind of a big geospatial event

And if useful, what should it look like? I have a banner stand, should it be ‘can we have a small table and something to put stickers on’? … or (as Cameron has done in the past) ‘can we have a talk slot about the open source geo ecosystem and OSGeo Oceania'?

…or should we just apply our energy to nurturing a new organisation and a conference of our own?

Cheers

Adam

--
Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

Re: Locate, and OSGeo Oceania

adam steer-2
Alex - thanks for the correction! and the input- you're a lot closer to that part of the community than I am.

And at this point, yes, I feel we'd be asking a pretty big favour from SSSI/the Locate team to drop in and wave the OSGeo flag - so we need to be clear about what (if anything) we want to ask for; and who has energy to drive it.

I think it's a good idea to do *something*, and we should be totally audacious and ask for a corner someplace - if someone is willing to hang out at it for a bit; or a talk/lightning talk/??. But then, I'm unlikely to attend (except maybe the market day - perhaps I can be 'OSGeo santa' with a big bag of stickers and stuff, scattering them as I wander around :D )

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 14:13, Alex Leith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

great, Greg.

I was thinking more of promoting the organisation (OSGeo Oceania) - and I have seen a fair bit of conference promotion at other conferences.

Don’t forget, we have a budget - so it may come to a committee decision about a value proposition and commercial decision (*if* space exists to do *a thing*). Quid pro quo, right? we can support Locate and the industry, they can support the open source community back. The great circle of life and funding.

In the back of my mind is also this: Like OSGeo (the international org), we need to attract sponsors - for both the conference and the entity. Locate might be a good place to start that search.

Cheers

Adam