Linking label colour to line colour?

berndv.
Hi,

is there an "easy" way to somehow show the label of a line in the same
colour as the line itself?

I have a layer of 50somewhat lines which mark overlapping areas. To be
able to better differenciate between those on a map, I would like to
give the labels of the line feature the same colours as the lines
themselves (sounds reasonabe).

The lines are just random coloured as categorical by their unique name.
Can I somehow get the information of the line colour, so I can set the
label colour data-driven by some expressions or so?

Cheers,

Bernd

Re: Linking label colour to line colour?

DelazJ

Regards,
Harrissou

Le 10 juin 2019 21:11:18 GMT+02:00, Bernd Vogelgesang <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

is there an "easy" way to somehow show the label of a line in the same
colour as the line itself?

I have a layer of 50somewhat lines which mark overlapping areas. To be
able to better differenciate between those on a map, I would like to
give the labels of the line feature the same colours as the lines
themselves (sounds reasonabe).

The lines are just random coloured as categorical by their unique name.
Can I somehow get the information of the line colour, so I can set the
label colour data-driven by some expressions or so?

Cheers,

Bernd
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

Re: Linking label colour to line colour?

berndv.

phaaa ... that was too easy!

simply putting @symbol_color into the expression for data-driven font colour does the trick.

I really love to see all these functions popping up in the last versions, but without enough examples in the docs, you'll never know if just need this single function, or if you need a full circus of other stuff before or around it in some way.

Now that I found out about the function name, I was finally able to find the answer on stackexchange as well: https://gis.stackexchange.com/q/152203/8202

Thanx a lot!

Bernd

Qgis-user mailing list [hidden email] List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

Le 11 juin 2019 17:45:45 GMT+02:00, Bernd Vogelgesang <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>phaaa ... that was too easy!
>
>simply putting @symbol_color into the expression for data-driven font
>colour does the trick.
>
>I really love to see all these functions popping up in the last
>versions, but without enough examples in the docs, you'll never know if
>just need this single function, or if you need a full circus of other
>stuff before or around it in some way.

Humm.. actually this variable exists since January 2016 as of https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2512 (though not the implemented pull request) and already in 2.14 doc (https://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/expression.html#variables-functions)
About mention in docs, it's not a secret that we horribly need people to help to write the docs and we welcome any input in this regard. So now that you know how it works...
We also welcome ideas and suggestions of refactoring if needed.

H.

>Now that I found out about the function name, I was finally able to
>find
>the answer on stackexchange as well:
>https://gis.stackexchange.com/q/152203/8202
>
>Thanx a lot!
>
>Bernd
>
>Am 11.06.19 um 14:26 schrieb DelazJ:
>> Hi Bernd
>> You might be looking for the @symbol_color variable
>>
>(https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/expression.html?highlight=symbol_color#variables-functions)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harrissou
>>
>> Le 10 juin 2019 21:11:18 GMT+02:00, Bernd Vogelgesang
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit
>:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     is there an "easy" way to somehow show the label of a line in the
>same
>>     colour as the line itself?
>>
>>     I have a layer of 50somewhat lines which mark overlapping areas.
>To be
>>     able to better differenciate between those on a map, I would like
>>     give the labels of the line feature the same colours as the lines
>>     themselves (sounds reasonabe).
>>
>>     The lines are just random coloured as categorical by their unique
>name.
>>     Can I somehow get the information of the line colour, so I can
>set the
>>     label colour data-driven by some expressions or so?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Bernd

Re: Linking label colour to line colour?

berndv.
I use QGIS since 2011 on a nearly daily basis, but it seems I'm not able
to keep pace with all the stuff that gets introduced.

I know of the docs-dilemma and I even subscribed to the community team
list some months ago, but since even the hole system behind the docs
seems to be so frightening complicated, I lost hope that I will be able
to contribute anything useful.

And especially the functions are a egg-hen-problem: as long as I have no
clue how to use all those functions and combinations of them, I can'
contribute to their documentation :(

Anyway, another function learned :)

Bernd

Le 11 juin 2019 19:42:29 GMT+02:00, Bernd Vogelgesang <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>I use QGIS since 2011 on a nearly daily basis, but it seems I'm not
>able
>to keep pace with all the stuff that gets introduced.

I'm not sure any of us can. It's evolving so quickly. And I'd say this is where contributing to docs is also helpful (at least for me) since you see most of the improvements coming in and can learn from testing them.

>I know of the docs-dilemma and I even subscribed to the community team
>list some months ago, but since even the hole system behind the docs
>seems to be so frightening complicated, I lost hope that I will be able
>to contribute anything useful.

This is a pity. We need you to report us what looks frightening complicated in the process otherwise it'll be hard for us to remove that barrier. And we are looking for feedback to allow newcomers. Are you aware of https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html?

Harrissou

>And especially the functions are a egg-hen-problem: as long as I have
>no
>clue how to use all those functions and combinations of them, I can'
>contribute to their documentation :(
>
>Anyway, another function learned :)
>
>Bernd
>
>Am 11.06.19 um 19:13 schrieb Harrissou:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Le 11 juin 2019 17:45:45 GMT+02:00, Bernd Vogelgesang
><[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>> phaaa ... that was too easy!
>>>
>>> simply putting @symbol_color into the expression for data-driven
>font
>>> colour does the trick.
>>>
>>> I really love to see all these functions popping up in the last
>>> versions, but without enough examples in the docs, you'll never know
>if
>>> just need this single function, or if you need a full circus of
>other
>>> stuff before or around it in some way.
>>>
>> Humm.. actually this variable exists since January 2016 as of
>https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2512 (though not the implemented pull
>request) and already in 2.14 doc
>(https://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/expression.html#variables-functions)
>> About mention in docs, it's not a secret that we horribly need people
>to help to write the docs and we welcome any input in this regard. So
>now that you know how it works...
>> We also welcome ideas and suggestions of refactoring if needed.
>>
>> H.
>>> Now that I found out about the function name, I was finally able to
>>> find
>>> the answer on stackexchange as well:
>>> https://gis.stackexchange.com/q/152203/8202
>>>
>>> Thanx a lot!
>>>
>>> Bernd

>(https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/expression.html?highlight=symbol_color#variables-functions)

>écrit
>>> :

>the
>>> same

>areas.
>>> To be
>like
>lines

>unique
>>> name.
>>> set the

Re: Linking label colour to line colour?

DelazJ
And if I may, it's less about documenting features you are learning than features you already know about. I mean, you describe things you know well (and think they lack docs) allowing others who know things you not yet know to write about them. This way, we all fill the gaps.

H.

List info:https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]