Link to project sponsors

Tyler Mitchell-5
There has been some confusion brought up in the media and by our
project sponsors, wondering why all of the sponsors (foundation +
project) don't appear on:
http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors

I know our reasoning is to maximise exposure for foundation level
sponsors.  I wonder if others agree with me that having a simple text
link to the various project sponsorship pages would be helpful for
clearing this up - without compromising the value of that page.

For example, in the top paragraph or so of http://www.osgeo.org/
sponsors we add a short section like this that points to each
project's credits page:
Project Sponsors: <a href="http://gdal.org/credits.html">GDAL/OGR</a>

Make sense?

RE: Link to project sponsors

Michael P. Gerlek
+1

-mpg

Re: Link to project sponsors

Frank Warmerdam
Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> There has been some confusion brought up in the media and by our project
> sponsors, wondering why all of the sponsors (foundation + project) don't
> appear on:
> http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors
>
> I know our reasoning is to maximise exposure for foundation level
> sponsors.  I wonder if others agree with me that having a simple text
> link to the various project sponsorship pages would be helpful for
> clearing this up - without compromising the value of that page.
>
> For example, in the top paragraph or so of http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors
> we add a short section like this that points to each project's credits
> page:
> Project Sponsors: <a href="http://gdal.org/credits.html">GDAL/OGR</a>
>
> Make sense?

Tyler,

+1 - But I think these should come after the foundation sponsors, not before.

RE: Link to project sponsors

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Link to project sponsors

Tyler Mitchell-5
> ---------------
> +1 - But I think these should come after the foundation sponsors, not
> before.

RE: Link to project sponsors

Michael P. Gerlek
-0, because now I'm starting to worry about "dilution" of the page with
too many listings...?

-mpg

Re: Link to project sponsors

Tyler Mitchell-5
The rationale is essentially to show the outside world that there are
noteworthy people giving us money and, if they dig deep enough, they
can find out who.  The foundation level sponsors are clear and I
don't want to dilute it further.  But if we keep the links relegated
to the footer of that page, i.e. in "for more information" it can be
less intrusive.  With that in mind perhaps we can avoid creating
whole new 'sections' on the page, and just add links that are a
couple words or more like:

For more information
Other sponsors support particular OSGeo projects: <a>GDAL/OGR</a>.
To sponsor OSGeo or discuss sponsorship opportunities further, please
contact:

We can deal with local chapter sponsors when the time comes, or do
you think it is imminent?

Tyler

On 1-Feb-07, at 9:09 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> -0, because now I'm starting to worry about "dilution" of the page
> with
> too many listings...?
>
> -mpg

Re: Link to project sponsors

Frank Warmerdam
Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> -0, because now I'm starting to worry about "dilution" of the page with
> too many listings...?

Michael,

I think it is important to give primacy to foundation level sponsors on
this page - achieved I hope by putting them first, and providing logos
for each as opposed to single text links for each project/chapter group
of other kinds of sponsors.

But one thing to keep in mind is that showing lots of sponsors supporting
the foundation, foundation projects and foundation chapters helps build a
sense of broad support and excitement.

I am concerned about dilution of the promotional benefits of being a
foundation level sponsor though.

Re: Link to project sponsors

Frank Warmerdam
Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> The rationale is essentially to show the outside world that there are
> noteworthy people giving us money and, if they dig deep enough, they can
> find out who.  The foundation level sponsors are clear and I don't want
> to dilute it further.  But if we keep the links relegated to the footer
> of that page, i.e. in "for more information" it can be less intrusive.
> With that in mind perhaps we can avoid creating whole new 'sections' on
> the page, and just add links that are a couple words or more like:

> For more information
> Other sponsors support particular OSGeo projects: <a>GDAL/OGR</a>.  To
> sponsor OSGeo or discuss sponsorship opportunities further, please contact:

Tyler,

I like keeping it reasonably low key.

> We can deal with local chapter sponsors when the time comes, or do you
> think it is imminent?

I don't think there are any chapter sponsor pages to point to yet so the
problem isn't immediate.  But I do think we should be addressing this as
part of the "local chapter sponsors" discussion.  That is, how much
representation do local chapter sponsors get at the foundation level.

Re: Link to project sponsors

K S Rajan
+1 - I do support the idea of links to the relevant pages.

FYI, India Chapter has started working on getting sponsorship or seed
funding from domestic sources - government and industry. They may be
either event based support or to the chapter as a whole. I am not sure
yet, but thinking aloud, Govt., agencies may be listed only on the
Chapter page and not willing to listed on the OSGeo.org, whereas
Industry might.

Regards,
Rajan

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The rationale is essentially to show the outside world that there are
>> noteworthy people giving us money and, if they dig deep enough, they
>> can find out who.  The foundation level sponsors are clear and I
>> don't want to dilute it further.  But if we keep the links relegated
>> to the footer of that page, i.e. in "for more information" it can be
>> less intrusive.  With that in mind perhaps we can avoid creating
>> whole new 'sections' on the page, and just add links that are a
>> couple words or more like:

>> For more information
>> Other sponsors support particular OSGeo projects: <a>GDAL/OGR</a>.
>> To sponsor OSGeo or discuss sponsorship opportunities further, please
>> contact:
>

> Tyler,
>
> I like keeping it reasonably low key.
>
>> We can deal with local chapter sponsors when the time comes, or do
>> you think it is imminent?
>

> I don't think there are any chapter sponsor pages to point to yet so the
> problem isn't immediate.  But I do think we should be addressing this as
> part of the "local chapter sponsors" discussion.  That is, how much
> representation do local chapter sponsors get at the foundation level.
>
> Best regards,

Re: Link to project sponsors

K S Rajan
+1 - I do support the idea of links to the relevant pages.

FYI, India Chapter is working on getting sponsorship or seed funding

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The rationale is essentially to show the outside world that there are
>> noteworthy people giving us money and, if they dig deep enough, they
>> can find out who.  The foundation level sponsors are clear and I
>> don't want to dilute it further.  But if we keep the links relegated
>> to the footer of that page, i.e. in "for more information" it can be
>> less intrusive.  With that in mind perhaps we can avoid creating
>> whole new 'sections' on the page, and just add links that are a
>> couple words or more like:

>> For more information
>> Other sponsors support particular OSGeo projects: <a>GDAL/OGR</a>.
>> To sponsor OSGeo or discuss sponsorship opportunities further, please
>> contact:
>

> Tyler,
>
> I like keeping it reasonably low key.
>
>> We can deal with local chapter sponsors when the time comes, or do
>> you think it is imminent?
>

> I don't think there are any chapter sponsor pages to point to yet so the
> problem isn't immediate.  But I do think we should be addressing this as
> part of the "local chapter sponsors" discussion.  That is, how much
> representation do local chapter sponsors get at the foundation level.
>
> Best regards,

Re: Link to project sponsors

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Local Chapters had their own URL
(e.g. india.osgeo.org, japan.osgeo.org etc.)
when OSGeo was using Collabnet. Is this
going to be discontinued with the
migration to Drupal?

If local chapters are going to have independent
website (not as a part of OSGeo infrastructure
support from OSGeo), maybe listing local chapter
sponsors on local chapter page would make sense.
With the migration to Drupal, the local chapter
pages are on the OSGeo wiki only.

For example the China OSGeo chapter has registered
the Domain http://www.osgeo.org.cn
and are putting up contents in Chinese on their site.

Regards

Venka