[Liblas-devel] libLAS status, maintenance and clean-up

[Liblas-devel] libLAS status, maintenance and clean-up

Mateusz Loskot
Hi,

Is there anyone who is trying/willing to maintain libLAS these days?
Which repo/branch is the 'active' one?
What is status of Python bindings?
What is status of C# bindings?
Where is the last known as working source of those bindings hosted?
What is purpose of the libLAS-CLR?

I'd like to collect some current information and update the README
files accordingly.

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: [Liblas-devel] libLAS status, maintenance and clean-up

Howard Butler-3

I did push a new release of mostly bug fixes last year. It has not been actively maintained in quite a while, however. See https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pdal/2015-August/000665.html for a description of why you should use PDAL if you can :)

> Which repo/branch is the 'active' one?

master

Use laspy http://laspy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ it is feature complete, doesn't require linkage to the libLAS C API, works on most Python runtimes, and has LAS 1.4 support.

> What is status of C# bindings?

defunct

> Where is the last known as working source of those bindings hosted?

unknown

> What is purpose of the libLAS-CLR?

I think it was an attempt at .NET bindings for libLAS

On 27 August 2015 at 21:38, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:48 AM, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there anyone who is trying/willing to maintain libLAS these days?
>
> I did push a new release of mostly bug fixes last year. It has not been actively maintained in quite a while,

I have pushed minor build config.

> however. See https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pdal/2015-August/000665.html for a description of why you should use PDAL if you can :)

Those reasons are clear to me, agreed.

However, handful of people was reaching me via email asking for
help with libLAS and C# bindings.
I wasn't sure which C# bindings are up to date, related to the latest
usable libLAS.

There seem to be no C# support in PDAL.

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net